Three team trade with Cards moving to #5?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We have very little leverage if we really want Harrison
If we are dead set on Harrison you’re right. If we can convince others that we see odunze/MHJ as interchangeable we have ALL the leverage bc we can allow someone (nyg) to jump the 5th pick and snatch the final qb.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why would you stay put and take Harrison, when you could accept this offer, move from 27 to 23, and still get Harrison?! :doi:

The only way good the Cardinals to extract more from the Vikings in this scenario is to threaten, or actually go through with, a trade with the Giants. But then they risk having the Giants pick Minnesota's preferred QB, which prevents the Vikings from making a deal with the Chargers, allowing the Chargers stay put and take Harrison.

Frankly the Cardinals should either play some higher stakes poker where they still HOPE to get their preferred WR but risk missing out, while receiving a "haul" of draft capital in return.

Or they should accept ANYTHING in a deal where they're guaranteed to get Harrison at #5, because they have no leverage if they want that guarantee.

But sticking at 4 and taking Harrison in the face of an offer where they still get Harrison plus ANY additional draft capital would just be foolish. It doesn't matter if they lose points on the draft value chart, because once you net out Harrison, they gain value.
My point isn’t to pass that deal up. My point is to leverage the cat and mouse game that is the giants ability to trade up and our ability to like odunze.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly. The Cards aren't giving anything up. It's all gravy, would be nuts to ask for more.

It's the Chargers here that are giving up the most and if I was them I'd want more than just #27.
Why would it ever be “nuts to ask for more?” Who accepts an initial offer? I’ll tell you who, bad deal makers.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That’s why a “haul” is illusory. It’s the promise of maybe.

It worked out for the Cowboys, but that one obviously didn’t. I don’t think the RG3 trade worked out well.

My favorite was probably the trade down with the Chargers we did for Simeon Rice. That kickstarted a playoff team.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It worked out for the Cowboys, but that one obviously didn’t. I don’t think the RG3 trade worked out well.

My favorite was probably the trade down with the Chargers we did for Simeon Rice. That kickstarted a playoff team.
Andre Wadsworth?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

We got Andre Wadsworth out of that trade.

The results of that were Wadsworth, Corey Chavous, David Boston, and filler.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yeah it did, and it was no-risk. I'd take a trade back one spot for sure, but even two spots is too risky for my taste.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it did, and it was no-risk. I'd take a trade back one spot for sure, but even two spots is too risky for my taste.
I don't want to go back further than 7 if we trade back. If we do, we need to trade back up to 7.

Stout

Reaction score
I don't want to go back further than 7 if we trade back. If we do, we need to trade back up to 7.
7 and you're in "ohmygawdIfreakingPRAYOdunzeorMHJisthere" land. No freaking thank you. #5 nets you either Odunze or MHJ. I don't want to go farther back without a 100 percent guarantee we're getting one of them and there is no such guarantee.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7 and you're in "ohmygawdIfreakingPRAYOdunzeorMHJisthere" land. No freaking thank you. #5 nets you either Odunze or MHJ. I don't want to go farther back without a 100 percent guarantee we're getting one of them and there is no such guarantee.
One of Odunze/Nabers will be there. While their styles are different, I don't see much between the two players. I do think Odunze is probably the better fit for this team, but it isn't a steep drop off.

Stout

Reaction score
One of Odunze/Nabers will be there. While their styles are different, I don't see much between the two players. I do think Odunze is probably the better fit for this team, but it isn't a steep drop off.
I'm not for Nabers. I want us to get Odunze or MHJ. We need the size more and not the player suited more to the inside. And no, it's not a guarantee. 4, 5, 6 could be WRs. Unlikely, but no chances, please.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not for Nabers. I want us to get Odunze or MHJ. We need the size more and not the player suited more to the inside. And no, it's not a guarantee. 4, 5, 6 could be WRs. Unlikely, but no chances, please.
I think 4-6 could be receivers too, but I doubt it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This three team trade makes no sense. Why would the LAC do it? If they know that the Cardinals want MHJr then just let the Cardinals pick him and enjoy the QB Trade haul all by yourself. If the Cardinals trade then grab MHJr.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
4, 5, 6 could be WRs.
the Chargers have also made clear that they want to move down

the Giants want a QB

so if the Cards trade out of #4 and the team making the deal takes one of the WRs -- then the 4th QB gets taken at 5 or 6

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Chargers have also made clear that they want to move down

the Giants want a QB

That is all speculation.

Harbaugh said this which sounds like they are willing to draft a player or trade:
There’s some real possibilities. Like we’re really super excited about that pick, so we’ll see how it plays out. Pick a great player at 5? There’s going to be a great player at 5. There’s talk of four quarterbacks going in the first four picks. Where if that happens, that pick really becomes like the number one pick. If four quarterbacks go in the first four picks, it’s not like the fifth pick anymore. It’s like the number one pick for teams in the draft that have a great quarterback.

Then John Mara just said that he thinks Daniel Jones is the starter in 2024.

“I think the Daniel (Jones) we saw in 2022 is the real deal. … I still have all the confidence in the world in him. … Yes, I think we all expect him to be the starter in 2024.”

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
the Giants want a QB

This is the least-convincing assertion I've heard. I don't see why they'd think that McCarthy or whomever is a better option than they guy they literally just signed and can't walk away from. We saw this exact situation go down with Kyler Murray, except Danny Dimes won a playoff game and the coaching staff didn't turn over.

I also think that assertions of a "QB Tax" are utterly deranged. There's no third party enforcing pricing policies in this market. If the Vikes or whomever don't want to give up a "QB premium", they say no and the Cards have to find another suitor or exercise the pick.

IMO, if you don't have a dire, pressing need for a QB in 2024, there's no reason to make a foolish trade for McCarthy or Jayden Daniels, who are fine prospects but available in two out of three drafts.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
We have very little leverage if we really want Harrison
I also think that assertions of a "QB Tax" are utterly deranged. There's no third party enforcing pricing policies in this market. If the Vikes or whomever don't want to give up a "QB premium", they say no and the Cards have to find another suitor or exercise the pick.
Facts are saying something different