Thoughts on the new format for the site?

What would you give the new look to the site?

• A- Love it

• B- Good, but still figuring it out

• C- It's ok and can be a little confusing

• D- Not the best, but I'll deal with it

• F- Any chance of getting the old one back???

Results are only viewable after voting.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We wanted to give the update a good few weeks to a month and let you all go through it and get comfortable with using the site. Would love to hear some feedback about what you like, dislike, confused on, see if we can add anything, etc..

Sure seemed like the software upgrade went smoothly and a huge thanks to LWM for all the help with the questions.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally do not like it, but like a few of the features. I voted D.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, question regarding polls--is it possible to make them public (so you can see who voted what)? I see you can change your vote--is it also possible to lock it down so that people cannot change their votes? I don't want to create a poll just for testing's sake. If you don't know the answers, that's cool too.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm getting used to it. Some things are a bit hard to find, but I'll adjust.

I would recommend two things, though.

1. Shorten the width of the first column in the forums and expand the width of the last column (the "Latest" column) so that more of the "Latest" thread title is visible. There is a lot of blank space on the page that is not being used. The old look had the same issue.
2. Change the icons that appear at the top of each post (B, I, U, etc.) so that the most useful ones appear. For example, I've never used the outdent button, but I use the Quote feature all the time. It would be nice to have the Quote tool on the toolbar itself instead of having to drop down through the plus sign icon to get to it. Maybe swap out the unused features for the popular ones.

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, question regarding polls--is it possible to make them public (so you can see who voted what)? I see you can change your vote--is it also possible to lock it down so that people cannot change their votes? I don't want to create a poll just for testing's sake. If you don't know the answers, that's cool too.

Yep. I just adjusted both of those you stated. When you create the poll, it give you the option on whether or not you will allow someone to change their vote and also to been seen public or not

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. Shorten the width of the first column in the forums and expand the width of the last column (the "Latest" column) so that more of the "Latest" thread title is visible. There is a lot of blank space on the page that is not being used. The old look had the same issue.
2. Change the icons that appear at the top of each post (B, I, U, etc.) so that the most useful ones appear. For example, I've never used the outdent button, but I use the Quote feature all the time. It would be nice to have the Quote tool on the toolbar itself instead of having to drop down through the plus sign icon to get to it. Maybe swap out the unused features for the popular ones.

Interesting. I see what you mean. Gonna have to check with LWM (our tech guru) on that. I'll send those to him

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Interesting. I see what you mean. Gonna have to check with LWM (our tech guru) on that. I'll send those to him

Cool. :)

Also, I really like the "Like" button. Good feature.

I tend to hit the +Quote button instead of the Reply button, though. Not sure if other people do that, too.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The width of everything and wasted space has a lot to do with the size of your browsing window, as you charge the window size, it compresses differently

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I love that posts no longer turn "read" after 10 days. I'm usually several days behind and it's good to know I'm no longer missing posts on a couple of my favorite forums.

Do you know how long it takes now for a post to automatically become "read"?

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. :)

Also, I really like the "Like" button. Good feature.

I tend to hit the +Quote button instead of the Reply button, though. Not sure if other people do that, too.
ALL THE DAMNED TIME. If "Reply" could be changed to "Quote" and "+ Quote" could be changed to "Multi-Quote" (or even "Multi"), it would be infinitely better. Or, at the very very least, swap places with them if the names can't be changed.

OP
OP
Iceman

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly do the same thing with the "quote" button. Checking on if there is another feature like the multi-quote

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that we have a refreshed look...what about the emojis/smileys? Can we add a bunch more? I see some of the new ones that probably came with the new site. Just curious. We have had the ones we have forever.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Also, I might just be missing it, but is there a way to go to the last post in a thread from the top page of a forum?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I very much dislike the way to mark forums read.

In vB, you could double-click on the icon on the main forum page and mark that forum read.

I would do this to forums I don't want to read, then hit "new posts" to get the posts I want to see.

Having to go into each forum, click a link, answer a question, click it, etc is way more cumbersome.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALL THE DAMNED TIME. If "Reply" could be changed to "Quote" and "+ Quote" could be changed to "Multi-Quote" (or even "Multi"), it would be infinitely better. Or, at the very very least, swap places with them if the names can't be changed.
AND BOOM! Just like that it's fixed! Very nice, thank you!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It would be great to have a forum jump at the bottom of the page like the old format had... right now I am hitting the up arrow to get back to the top of the page and then navigating back to the forum page.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edit: Thanks for setting this up.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a consistent issue where when i click on inbox, it freezes my whole browser until I stop the loading and refresh the page.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to add a graph icon to a thread that has a poll attached (in the main forum listing of all the threads)? This would indicate that there is a poll included in the thread. I think the old one also auto-populated "Poll: " at the beginning of the thread title as well. I don't read every thread in some forums, but if I see there is a poll I usually go in & vote.

LWM

Tech Support Admin
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the old one also auto-populated "Poll: " at the beginning of the thread title as well.
The term "Poll: " is now prefixed on the thread titles while viewing the list of threads in a forum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson