Thoughts on Memorial Day...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The first and obvious thought that came to mind was the loss of a spectacular human being in Pat Tillman.

The second thing that came to mind is that Pat, all of his fellow fallen brothers & sisters in arms and those who made it back - in good health and not so good shape - joined the miltary to offer service to millions of private citizens they never met and didn't know.

It is in this spirit and their memory that I suggest we each seek out an opportunity to do something (no matter how large or small) that would be of help to people we've never met and don't know.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice post.

Raising a toast to my grandpops and others who serve(d). It's an extraordinary sacrifice, one most civilians can't comprehend in its entirety.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
While remembering those who gave all, I can't help but think of those who served, but which resulted in their being 'used up'. They have had to deal with a special type of pain and suffering. They hold a special place in my heart.

KenobiOne

Reaction score
To all of my brothers and sisters in arms, both past and present, thank you for your service.

As you kiss your child, flip a burger, or knock one back today, please take a moment to think of those who selflessly allow you the freedom to do so.

Last edited:

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
To all of my brothers and sisters in arms, both past and present, thank you for your service.

As you kiss your child, flip a burger, or knock one back today, please take a moment to think of those who selflessly allow you the freedom to do so.

+1

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I was in basic training when I heard of pat tillman's death. I will never forget that day when our instructor was yelling at us and told us about it. Pat was famous and was honorable for what he did, but so many others that deserve respect go unnoticed. My heart goes out to all of the veterans and their families that lost loved ones in war(TODAY IS THEIR DAY). I can't imagine the pain that it must be, but it is for a cause that is greater!! god bless our troops.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm one of the lucky servicemembers; I haven't lost any of my friends in any of these recent conflicts.

Thanks to all those who given their lives in defense of our country and our way of life. My unit is going to Afghanistan soon (I can't give any dates), and hopefully we lose no one this time around.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving.

RIP and thank you.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of the lucky servicemembers; I haven't lost any of my friends in any of these recent conflicts.

Thanks to all those who given their lives in defense of our country and our way of life. My unit is going to Afghanistan soon (I can't give any dates), and hopefully we lose no one this time around.

You are lucky to not have any friends lost to these conflicts. I dearly wish I could say the same. When you go I wish you good luck, good health, and a safe return. Remember one thing while your there. Keep your head on a swivel, your eyes peeled and above all keep your ass down! Thank you for your service.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Nice, much respect

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Your welcome, and thank you also for your service. We had a cookout of steaks tonight and for the first time in a very long time I insisted on saying grace. I live each and every day proud to have served and proud to be able to say thanks to each and every soldier, sailor, marine, and airman for the sacrifice they made. You can't hear me here on earth but I'm convinced they can hear me as they look down on us from above. Many have given their all for our country and I will never allow myself to forget that.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
As an aside. If any of you ever get the chance to visit Arlington, as I have many times having been stationed at Ft. Meyers, VA (My barracks room overlooked the cemetary) do this for yourselves. You (I think) will find feelings of awe, reverence, as well as respect for those that gave all they had to keep us free. Also be sure to visit the tomb of the unknown soldier. If you don't get a chill down your spine, then you probably aren't human. I visited it many times as well as walking the duty a couple of times, and have never been able to hold back the tears as I know what they have given up. God Bless the military as they are the best of the best and they make me proud to remember that I was once one of them!

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As an aside. If any of you ever get the chance to visit Arlington, as I have many times having been stationed at Ft. Meyers, VA (My barracks room overlooked the cemetary) do this for yourselves. You (I think) will find feelings of awe, reverence, as well as respect for those that gave all they had to keep us free. Also be sure to visit the tomb of the unknown soldier. If you don't get a chill down your spine, then you probably aren't human. I visited it many times as well as walking the duty a couple of times, and have never been able to hold back the tears as I know what they have given up. God Bless the military as they are the best of the best and they make me proud to remember that I was once one of them!

Veteran of the Air Force 83-88. Have not been to Arlington but here in ST. Louis we have Jefferson Barracks National Cemetary which is only 10 miles from my house. Go there every Memorial day to visit my dad's grave. The boy scouts also put flags on the graves each memorial day. It is a great site.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Veteran of the Air Force 83-88. Have not been to Arlington but here in ST. Louis we have Jefferson Barracks National Cemetary which is only 10 miles from my house. Go there every Memorial day to visit my dad's grave. The boy scouts also put flags on the graves each memorial day. It is a great site.

Visiting Arlington is not a prerequisite for me thanking you for your service.

OP
OP
JeffGollin

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Once Upon a Time in the 1950's...

Garth - I'm not sure if the tradition continues but -

Back in the day, as a kid growing up in suburban NYC during WWII/Korea, we immediately knew when it was Memorial (or "Decoration") Day because the spokes of every kid's bike was interlaced with red, white & blue crepe paper.

There were a dozen or more Boy Scout, Cub Scout and Girl Scout troops in my hometown, and we marched over to a village for a service to honor the fallen troops.

We then marched over to the High School athletic field, where there were hot-dog stands and cotton candy. But the high point of the day was a highly-contested close-order drill competition among the various Boy Scout troops.

Troop 3 (my troop) took the competition very seriously (maybe too seriously). We were the only troop to eschew the standard c*nt-cap and long trousers for a Smokey the Bear campaign hat, short trousers and knee high stockings (so that the judges could see the whites of our knees rising and falling with each step). We spent the better part of the year training for this one single event and were perennial winners - except on one infamous Memorial Day we'd like to forget (because Troop 1 actually beat us). The following year, our leaders brought in a US Marine drill sargeant to mold us into a leaner, meaner marching unit, and we never lost again (at least not while I was still there).

Funny how dumb it now seems for us to have set aside the true meaning of Decoration Day in order to obsess on "the whites of our knees" or having the brims of our hats perfectly angled the same way. But was it really? I think, in some strange way, it all tied in with being proud of our military - a way for us kids to say: "I want to be just like you."

Innocent times back then. (the 1960's hadn't happened yet). But worth remembering (& valuing).

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The first and obvious thought that came to mind was the loss of a spectacular human being in Pat Tillman.

The second thing that came to mind is that Pat, all of his fellow fallen brothers & sisters in arms and those who made it back - in good health and not so good shape - joined the miltary to offer service to millions of private citizens they never met and didn't know.

It is in this spirit and their memory that I suggest we each seek out an opportunity to do something (no matter how large or small) that would be of help to people we've never met and don't know.

Tillman was indeed a special sort of human being. To give up millions of dollars and being a hero to millions of fans and then join not just the Army but the Special Forces is a rare deed. There are no cheering crowds in the desert and you do not get paid much more than minimum wage. You live like a desert rat. We will really never know what drove Pat Tillman to to this thing in light of all he was giving up. Of course we have an all volunteer military force so my words in no way diminsh those who went into battle for 4-5 tours. We all ways seem to have the right people at the right time who have extra ordinary courage. They sure do not do it for the money. There are no cheering crowds on the battle field. Once you get into battle you are doing it for your buddies around you. Our enemies have that same dedication and live to blow themselves up amidist a crowd of our people.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving.

RIP and thank you.

I recently read that if you count all the military and civilians that were killed as a result of WWII it would be in excess of 70 million people. That is hard to grasp. War has always been part of mankind and always will be no matter the consequences.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson