This ought to bring some fun comments...

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Cardinals Behind Seattle Lines: Five Questions With an Enemy Blogger

You must be registered for see images
Posted Sep 14th 2007 11:48AM by Dan Benton
Filed under: AZ Cardinals, Seahawks, NFC West, Phoenix, Seattle
You must be registered for see images
Welcome to another successful installment of Five Questions with an Enemy Blogger, where each week, via email, I will be exchanging hot questions and [sometimes] answers with a rival blogger about their team and the upcoming matchup.

This week I sat down with albaNY Hawker of 12 Seahawks Street, an independent column that covers the Seattle Seahawks.

Dan Benton: "Hawker, as always, it's an absolute pleasure to chat with you again. We had so much fun last year, I decided we should do it again.

The first question is very simple, but I've been waiting a year to hear you answer it. Who was the best team (according to divisional record) in the NFC West last year? (Oh yea, it's going to sting slightly.)"
albaNY Hawker: "It must be very difficult to be an Arizona Cardinal fan and have to cling to little statistical triumphs such as this. Why not ask which team in the division ranks first alphabetically by name of State? You'll kick our [butts] at that one every freaking year! Sure, the Arizona Cardinals were what, 4-2 within the division last year? Good for you, did they give you a banner to hang in your fancy new stadium for that, or just a gold start to put on those pitful paint-by-numbers helmets? Of course, this is not kindegarten, it's the NFL, where teams are ranked by overall record and divisional championships. So to paraphrase your former coach, "The Cardinal were who we THOUGHT they were, and if you want to crown their asses, then crown 'em!" I'm sure the NFC West Champion Seattle Seahawks with let you borrow one of their crowns, they've gotten one each of the past three seasons!"​
DB: "Since I didn't get a chance to speak with you after week 14 of last season, what in the world happened to Seattle? (Feel free to give the Cardinals well earned credit.)"
Hawker: "Sure. While we're at it, let's give Tonya Harding credit for beating Nancy Kerrigan too! The Seahawks were decimated by the injury bug last season, but to the Cardinals credit, they took advantage of the situation. The victory was built off a Shaun Alexander fumble and a sack given up by Walter Jones, each of which is an event that happens with the same regularity as a Cardinal fan actually having relations with a woman who isn't a relative. And even with all those fortuitous occurrences happening in your team's favor, the Seahawks were still within a yard of a critical first down that would have surely lead to the game winning score. But, as I said above, even though the victory would have clinched the third consecutive divisional crown for the Seahawks, the Cardinals were the better team on that day, and your team deserves the credit for the victory. (psst...Dan, Shaun, Walt and Matt are fully recovered and healthy. Payback [is coming]!)"​
DB: "Switching gears and getting a little more serious, what scares you about the 2007 Arizona Cardinals?"
Hawker: "Seriously, and this isn't just smack-talk, but what scares me most about them is the same thing as last year, which is that the Seahawks will take them lightly and wind up losing a game they should have otherwise won. Every year I listen to the pre-season pundits, and it seems that the Cardinals have signed Hercules, Paul Bunyan and Santa Claus during the off season, and there seems to be general cause for concern. Then I watch a pitiful performance like the one turned in against the 49ers on MNF, and I realize it's just the same old Cardinals. One serious area of concern for the Seahawks though is our Special Teams unit, which dodged a bullet last week giving up two big punt returns that were eventually called back due to penalties on Tampa Bay. So if the Seahawks concentrate on taking care of business, and have another near-penalty-free performance in all three phases of the game, I'm really not scared of the Cardinals at all. Oh wait, you did sign former Seahawk Joe Tafoya in free agency, so I guess you did sign Santa Claus."​
DB: "What advantage(s) do you think the Seahawks have on Arizona going into this weekend?"
Hawker: "From an intangible point of view, the Cardinals are coming off a loss and a short week of practice, which should work to the Seahawks advantage. Then there's recent history, where the Seahawks have generally finished at the top of the division, and the Cardinals, well, not so much. But let's break it down by position and squad.

Quarterback: Matt Hasselbeck is a seasoned veteran who has been to multiple Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl. Matt Leinart is a second year player who in starting only his 13th game, but he has a clear advantage in the hairline and [female celebrity] departments. ADVANTAGE: Seahawks

Running Back: Shaun Alexander is coming off his first injury shortened campaign, but is only a year removed from and MVP season. Edgerrin James has a league-wide reputation and possible HoF numbers, but most of that was built during his years with the Colts. Both men can be explosive runners if given holes to run through, which we'll get to in a bit. ADVANTAGE: Push

O-Line: A couple years ago, Seattle had arguably the best offensive line in football. After a year of tinkering with different combinations, and waiting for Walter Jones to heal up, they seem to have the right combination of youth and experience and should return to premiere form as a unit. The knock on Arizona the past few years has been that the James acquisition has been ineffective due to an inferior offensive line. One of the key departures in the off-season was veteran left tackle, and perennial malcontent, Leonard Davis, which could be addition by subtraction. All kidding aside, Russ Grimm should make a difference in creating a more cohesive and effective unit. But they're still learning. ADVANTAGE: Seahawks

Wide Receivers: The Seattle offense has been one of the most efficient in the league, yet has built its statistics and reputation with a set of relatively small an unknown receivers. The Cardinal receivers are tall and fast and very talented and OMG...I just noticed you guys have former Seahawk and fan favorite underdog WR Jeheme Urban on your roster. That alone should tip the scales. ADVANTAGE: Cardinals

Defense: The Seahawk defense features two Pro Bowl linebackers, a pair of aggressive and hungry safeties, small but quick cornerbacks and a seemingly endless rotation of under-sized and over-motored DTs and DEs. The Arizona defense was built with former Seahawk pariahs like Olando Huff and Chike Okeafor. ADVANTAGE: Seahawks"​
DB: "Prediction time! Will this game be more like week two of last year, or week 14 of last year? (Who wins, and what's the score?)"
Hawker: "After watching that unbearable snoozefest on Monday night, I will be very disappointed if the Cardinals somehow manage to remain in this game past halftime. The last time the Seahawks defense faced a Wisenhunt and Grimm lead offense, they held the opposing QB to a 22.crap passer rating, racked up 2 INTs, 1 sack and lead in almost every statistical category. That was two years ago, and this year's version of the Seahawks defense features an improved secondary, stout run stoppers and harder hitting linebackers. Of course, that was also SuperBowl XL, but as long as Bill Leavy's not officiating the game, I don't see Wisenhunt and Grimm pulling another miracle out of their [butts]....errrr...hats on Sunday.

Seahawks: 37, Cardinals 13"​
A special thanks to albaNY Hawker for taking the time. It's always a pleasure to deal with his sarcasm, and I truly look forward to it twice a year. Again, you can read his Seahawks coverage on 12 Seahawks Street.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great format. I like it, and Hawker was pretty funny.

Plus, he used the word "pariah."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great format. I like it, and Hawker was pretty funny.

Plus, he used the word "pariah."

I knew someone was going to point that out. I thought it was funny as well.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. I can't believe Hawker rated Alexander/James as a push. He's being generous.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
that was some good smack talk. I would've liked to see the other guy dish some out as well.

HawkRule

Reaction score
Alba is a good cat and is an extreme smart@ss! Not a knock on Edge, but I too think he was generous with that comparison.

I don't agree with his concerns about special teams though, because what he didn't mention is that the penalties that brought the returns back were a direct cause that there was a return over 6 yards in the 1st place.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to ASFN HawkRule. :)

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What else would you expect from a Seahawk fan? Cards fans have relations with their relatives? Thats a new one, has this moron ever been to the valley, I'd be willing to bet their is more hot tail here than freakin Seattle! Not even close, so may I add a HOT WOMEN catagory: Arizona Cardinals in a landslide!

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
What else would you expect from a Seahawk fan? Cards fans have relations with their relatives? Thats a new one, has this moron ever been to the valley, I'd be willing to bet their is more hot tail here than freakin Seattle! Not even close, so may I add a HOT WOMEN catagory: Arizona Cardinals in a landslide!

Seriously. I went out there on a cross country trip about 10 years ago and my freaking jaw hit the pavement.

In Syracuse, we're thankful when the sun sets earlier as winter approaches because then we don't have to look at the women in daylight.

HawkRule

Reaction score

Seriously. I went out there on a cross country trip about 10 years ago and my freaking jaw hit the pavement.

In Syracuse, we're thankful when the sun sets earlier as winter approaches because then we don't have to look at the women in daylight.

He's a NY native, so I think the women there could hold up in a beauty contest!

PS- He was down there last year for the game, to answer your question. And no, I'm not him, but he is a member at seahawkblue.com. I don't always agree with him either, but he's a pretty funny b@stard!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arizona has a TON of beautiful women, I mean I have traveled through out the country and very few places have as many as here. Although Miami is pretty close, I would say Az and Miami from my travels are the top 2. New York not so much lots of foriegn women ehh not hot.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
That was pretty funny. I'd actually enjoy reading the Cardinals version if there is one. Stuff like this is good for the fanbases. Reminds us all not to take things too seriously all the time.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
Arizona has a TON of beautiful women, I mean I have traveled through out the country and very few places have as many as here. Although Miami is pretty close, I would say Az and Miami from my travels are the top 2. New York not so much lots of foriegn women ehh not hot.

Really? I need to get around AZ more then. I was in Tempe for the Seahawks / Cardinals game in 2004 and for a college town, I was MAJORLY disappointed. I agree with you on Miami though.

HawkRule

Reaction score
Really? I need to get around AZ more then. I was in Tempe for the Seahawks / Cardinals game in 2004 and for a college town, I was MAJORLY disappointed. I agree with you on Miami though.

It's because they're all at Lake Havasu when it's warm!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
AZ is pretty good in this regard - miami/so fla is nice as well

NYC is nice

my sleeper pick though is mpls - next time you see one of those good looking AZ girls ask where she's from, chances are it's the midwest

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
it's the NFL, where teams are ranked by overall record and divisional championships

Really? lol!

We might as well rank teams by week one defensive ratings. We rock.

freebyrd

Reaction score
so is it wrong to have sexual relations with my step sister? shes pretty hot and not blood related:D

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

See the avatar

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

you didn't go to the right places.

i live on the newport beach peninsula - directly on the beach. bikinis EVERYWHERE almost EVERY DAY, and i still think per capita ASU's campus has the greatest collection of talent (and really, scottsdale's bar scene) of anywhere i've ever been, and i've lived in nyc, socal, dc, boston, and spent a ton of time in texas as well.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i think scottsdale is over-rated - way too fake for me - some decent eye candy, but a lot more who take it way too far and end up looking worse for it (imo)

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
you didn't go to the right places.

i live on the newport beach peninsula - directly on the beach. bikinis EVERYWHERE almost EVERY DAY, and i still think per capita ASU's campus has the greatest collection of talent (and really, scottsdale's bar scene) of anywhere i've ever been, and i've lived in nyc, socal, dc, boston, and spent a ton of time in texas as well.

I'll have to give it another shot. But speaking of Texas, I was in Houston about three months ago and was pleasantly surprised at the level of talent there. I went to one club and every chick that walked through the door was no less than an eight it seemed. Of course I had been drinking so... ;)

albaNY Hawker

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm known as sort of a feedback ***** over at SeahawkBlue.com, and this thread is the online equivalent of a multiple orgasm!

SyracuseCard! What's the deal with upstate NY boys rooting for obscure remote coast teams? I'm originally from Utica...we may be related somewhere up the old bloodlines!

Speaking of relatives, you caught me! I was trying to retrofit a Rams crackback there and it really didn't work. You're absolutely right, judging from my last business trip to Scottsdale, Arizona girls are AFRICA HOT!

Dan from AOL is supposed to be sending me responses to MY five questions to him about the game. Once I get his reply, I'll post it on 12 Seahawks Street for your enjoyment. If he blows me off, I'll just post the questions and invite you guys to provide the responses in the Comments section.

Glad you liked the piece. Thanks for the feedback.

-- alba

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard