This is not a champ offense without hop

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
This …. No separation. We depend on our good contested catch guys (Hopkins/Green) or Kyler needing to drop a dime.
Special players are rare and they're called special for a reason; whether that's the golden arm talent at qb, the player that has that wiggle at a skill position or a defensive player. 3 things: QB can throw open guys and his receivers can run back to the ball, the longer a qb runs around, the longer a wr runs around a receiver eventually will get open. The oline, first has to allow that time, and even if that time is allowed; penalties, especially on undisciplined teams with poor accountability from the coaching staff, often destroy a big play.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Special players are rare and they're called special for a reason; whether that's the golden arm talent at qb, the player that has that wiggle at a skill position or a defensive player. 3 things: QB can throw open guys and his receivers can run back to the ball, the longer a qb runs around, the longer a wr runs around a receiver eventually will get open. The oline, first has to allow that time, and even if that time is allowed; penalties, especially on undisciplined teams with poor accountability from the coaching staff, often destroy a big play.
Our problem is Kirks hot and cold play and Green being washed up. Fitz on some plays would be better, much more focus.

In the off season we need a real #2 on the opposite of Hop, since Weasly isn't either.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Our problem is Kirks hot and cold play and Green being washed up. Fitz on some plays would be better, much more focus.

In the off season we need a real #2 on the opposite of Hop, since Weasly isn't either.

Agreed. A CB and pass rusher should be first priority in the draft but in free agency for that #2 wr, I'm looking for that fight of St. Brown without being an overachiever, while also not being too close to 30. There aren't very many of those that are not way expensive, so at what point do the Cards turn to the draft. The problem is that they need the hardest positions to find in the draft that are gone early.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I’m not even sure we are great with Hopkins. We lack explosiveness on offense. We have no dynamic yac athletes.
Hopkins is precision especially on sideline passes.
Kirk disappears at times and will drop the key catch.
Ertz is catch, turn, get hit and dropped.
Green is nothing special and is down right terrible as a #1 Wr which he seems to be since Hopkins went down.
Edmonds is nothing more than a 3rd down change of pace who has shown to be injury plagued.
Conner is a solid runner who gets every inch out of his runs but will never be a guy that can take it to the house.
Our o-line is not dynamic against the run or the pass.
Moore, Dortch, Issabella who are suppose to be our speed guys can’t get on the field and when they do we don’t exploit our opponents defense.
Rondale Moore has 435 yes on 54 catches with an 8.1 average.

Rondale Moore has an average depth of reception of 1.2 yards.

So of his 435 yds about 385 yds is yac.

It's usage and play design...throw him the ball ten yards down field and the kid is at a thousand yards on 54 catches.....

Sort of anyway...it doesn't exactly work like that... but the kid has shown the ability to get yac either through elusiveness or broken tackles ... but bubble screens don't allow for many explosive huge plays

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Just the offensive line alone makes this a team where it's tough to not be realistic and say Kyler Murray is going to be running for his life if he isn't already on his back. As much as I want the Cards to flip that switch; this pass rush from the Rams is scary enough and James Conner could be out; and then you have inexperienced rbs in pass protection unless Edmonds plays.
Our oline is decent. Probably top ten in the league.
But Rodney hudson is the key. When he plays the center of the pocket rarely collapses into kylers lap. The entire reason keim went after hudson is because when the raiders played the rams Aaron Donald was shut down.
We played the rams once with hudson in the lineup...I'll let you guess which game that was.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Rodney hudson is the key. When he plays the center of the pocket rarely collapses into kylers lap. The entire reason keim went after hudson is because when the raiders played the rams Aaron Donald was shut down.
We played the rams once with hudson in the lineup...I'll let you guess which game that was.
Why do so many people think he was out that game? He wasn't. Hudson just didn't seem to block him out of scheme for some reason.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
This team getting healthier will be the best thing that could happen to it going into these playoffs. It takes a few weeks for these guys to get back after injury or illness. Hopefully, key players like Hudson, CJ will gain healthy weight and strength back after illness by Monday. CJ was noticeably thinner and he plays well lean but..

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Why do so many people think he was out that game? He wasn't. Hudson just didn't seem to block him out of scheme for some reason.
Well I know one of those games they moved ad to de for the bulk of the game.... thought hudson had covid for that second game...no?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had legit YAC guys, legit make you miss guys, etc etc.

Conner is great for the redzone, but was kinda ghost until the play he got hurt (in terms of carries)

Even Maxx Williams was more dangerous after the catch then Ertz as well. Not to mention our most physical blocker.
Interesting... i did some analysis of the YAC data.

I analyzed the top 151 players by receiving yards (that number chosen to include the Cards' primary WRs, TEs, and RBs).

On that list, there are 101 WRs. Rondale Moore is ranked 5th with 8.11 YAC/rec. (FYI Deebo Samuel is 1st with 10.13, followed by DeSean Jackson, Mecole Hardman, and Freddie Swain. Ja'Marr Chase is 6th.)

A.J. Green is 80th with 3.35 YAC/rec. DeAndre Hopkins is 81st with 3.33 YAC/rec. And Christian Kirk is 87th with 3.16 YAC/rec. Ugh.

There are 29 TEs in the top 151 receivers. Zach Ertz ranks 19th with 4.59 YAC/rec. (Tops are Albert Okwuegbunam at 7.42, Dallas Goedert at 6.89, David Njoku at 6.86, Rob Gronkowski at 6.36, and George Kittle at 6.34. On only 16 catches and 193 total yards, Maxx Williams had 125 YAC for a whopping 7.81 YAC/rec, which would've put him 1st on the list if he'd had enough total yards to qualify for my cutoff!)

There are 21 RBs in the top 151 receivers. At 1st place on that list is... James Conner, with 10.32 YAC/rec! Chase Edmonds is 16th with 7.53 YAC/REC. (FYI among familiar names, Jonathan Taylor is 2nd with 10.15, Alvin Kamara is 7th at 9.19, Austin Ekeler is 9th with 8.96, and Christian McCaffrey is 19th with 6.97.)

So... Aside from Moore, who catches so many balls behind the LOS, the Cards' WRs suck at YAC. Ertz is below average but not horrendous. Williams led the entire league on a smallish but not insignificant sample size. And surprisingly, Conner leads the league while Edmonds is nothing special with respect to YAC.

...dave

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Yep Conner don’t get the carries to get 100 yards, but man every time he catches a pas, he acts like it might be his last, cause it might with KK.
  • Selected to the Pro Bowl in 2018 after rushing for 12 TDs (third in the NFL) and 973 yards while catching 55 passes for 497 yards a TD in 13 games.
  • Left Pittsburgh ranked fifth in franchise history in career rushing average (4.33).
  • Had nine games with 100+ rushing yards with Pittsburgh, which is the seventh-most in franchise history. Also has five career outings with 150+ total yards from scrimmage.
  • Steelers were undefeated (8-0-1) in games Conner rushed for 100+ yards.
  • In Arizona, reunites with RBs coach James Saxon who was his position coach in Pittsburgh between 2017-18.
  • Has twice been named AFC Offensive Player of the Week (Week 8, 2018; Week 8, 2019) and also earned AFC Offensive Player of the Month honors in October of 2018.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I actually looked, 2 days before the game we had him listed on the injury report as "illness not Covid related". So I'm assuming he was ill that week, tested negative so they let him play, and then like the next day he tested positive(they announced it the following day). Also remember he missed TWO games so his case was worse than lots of other players.

So I think it's reasonable to assume he actually had Covid during the first game and maybe that's why he seemed to not be on Donald which is why some of us, including me, actually thought he didn't play. I just remember Donald abusing Garcia and others in that game

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually looked, 2 days before the game we had him listed on the injury report as "illness not Covid related". So I'm assuming he was ill that week, tested negative so they let him play, and then like the next day he tested positive(they announced it the following day). Also remember he missed TWO games so his case was worse than lots of other players.

So I think it's reasonable to assume he actually had Covid during the first game and maybe that's why he seemed to not be on Donald which is why some of us, including me, actually thought he didn't play. I just remember Donald abusing Garcia and others in that game
That's why I mentioned that they seemed to scheme away from Hudson. He is arguably our most important offensive player and I will be keeping an eye on the matchup.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want us to trade for Laviska Shenault in the offseason.
Good call Chopper0080, its a very physical WR able to break tackles and getting yards after the catch, something we miss now
He is the Conner version of the WRs
FYI, Shenault is 10th on my list of WRs with 6.17 YAC/rec.

...dave

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What ? “ Our Oline is decent prob too 10 in the league”

That’s about the most far off post I’ve seen on this board.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I want us to trade for Laviska Shenault in the offseason.
I would love Shenault..he’s a guy that would give your team momentum with the way he plays. He’s more that Deebo Samuels player than what Moore could ever be. Very physical.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interesting... i did some analysis of the YAC data.

I analyzed the top 151 players by receiving yards (that number chosen to include the Cards' primary WRs, TEs, and RBs).

On that list, there are 101 WRs. Rondale Moore is ranked 5th with 8.11 YAC/rec. (FYI Deebo Samuel is 1st with 10.13, followed by DeSean Jackson, Mecole Hardman, and Freddie Swain. Ja'Marr Chase is 6th.)

A.J. Green is 80th with 3.35 YAC/rec. DeAndre Hopkins is 81st with 3.33 YAC/rec. And Christian Kirk is 87th with 3.16 YAC/rec. Ugh.

There are 29 TEs in the top 151 receivers. Zach Ertz ranks 19th with 4.59 YAC/rec. (Tops are Albert Okwuegbunam at 7.42, Dallas Goedert at 6.89, David Njoku at 6.86, Rob Gronkowski at 6.36, and George Kittle at 6.34. On only 16 catches and 193 total yards, Maxx Williams had 125 YAC for a whopping 7.81 YAC/rec, which would've put him 1st on the list if he'd had enough total yards to qualify for my cutoff!)

There are 21 RBs in the top 151 receivers. At 1st place on that list is... James Conner, with 10.32 YAC/rec! Chase Edmonds is 16th with 7.53 YAC/REC. (FYI among familiar names, Jonathan Taylor is 2nd with 10.15, Alvin Kamara is 7th at 9.19, Austin Ekeler is 9th with 8.96, and Christian McCaffrey is 19th with 6.97.)

So... Aside from Moore, who catches so many balls behind the LOS, the Cards' WRs suck at YAC. Ertz is below average but not horrendous. Williams led the entire league on a smallish but not insignificant sample size. And surprisingly, Conner leads the league while Edmonds is nothing special with respect to YAC.

...dave
You think 16th is nothing special? Weird.

I think most of the reason our receivers have low YAC is the type of routes the run. How many of them are slants? How frequently do our receivers catch the ball on the move? It seems most of our routes are comebacks, back shoulder throws, and settling into vacant spots in zones. It’s tough to catch a pass with your back to the defense, turn, and pick up significant YAC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson