The Wheel of Time (Amazon Prime)

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Meh. Not really impressed by Ep1 .

Rand looks like an instagram influencer dressed in H&M clothes.
Everyone looked super groomed, was never really believable.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Rand looks like an istagram influencer dressed with H&M clothes.
Episodes 2 and 3 are infinitely stronger.

I've been a big fan of the books for 25 years, so even with some of the changes, I'm digging it so far. It's moving VERY fast.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got about half way through the first episode, but had to gong it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Rand looks like an instagram influencer dressed in H&M clothes.
That part is super awful. There are also some awful changes for no reason (fridging anyone? And THE major sin of this series--see the spoiler), but overall, from a non-book standpoint, it's decent high fantasy fare.

The Dragon Reborn could be a woman? Um, no, that ruins ALL dramatic tension in the ENTIRE series. If the Dragon is a female channeler, whee, all cool, because they don't have any problems. The Dragon being a MALE channeler, on the other hand, provides huge problems, with the poisoning of the male half, the fact that male channelers go insane, etc.

Look, I get it, the writers and showrunners wanted to change it so we have female inclusion, and to try to keep everyone guessing. That's idiotic here, because there are times you simply can't do that. Where a plot detail CAN'T be any gender or any race. Where the story just suffers for it. This is clearly one of those times. How frakking stupid can they be?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That part is super awful. There are also some awful changes for no reason (fridging anyone? And THE major sin of this series--see the spoiler), but overall, from a non-book standpoint, it's decent high fantasy fare.

The Dragon Reborn could be a woman? Um, no, that ruins ALL dramatic tension in the ENTIRE series. If the Dragon is a female channeler, whee, all cool, because they don't have any problems. The Dragon being a MALE channeler, on the other hand, provides huge problems, with the poisoning of the male half, the fact that male channelers go insane, etc.

Look, I get it, the writers and showrunners wanted to change it so we have female inclusion, and to try to keep everyone guessing. That's idiotic here, because there are times you simply can't do that. Where a plot detail CAN'T be any gender or any race. Where the story just suffers for it. This is clearly one of those times. How frakking stupid can they be?
You have some valid points but are probably too overboard. I think that will be taken care of eventually. You make it sound like the series is ruined because of it and honestly, that played no part whatsoever in episodes 2 and 3.

The two biggest issues I have so far is Perrin’s backstory and Thom.

Stout

Reaction score
You have some valid points but are probably too overboard. I think that will be taken care of eventually. You make it sound like the series is ruined because of it and honestly, that played no part whatsoever in episodes 2 and 3.

The two biggest issues I have so far is Perrin’s backstory and Thom.
Thom too, yeah. Good point. And Mat.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I still have my 1st edition copy of Eye of the World that I picked up as a high schooler. I only tried it because I loved Jordan's work on Conan the Barbarian. I read the 1st 100 pages and thought, "Is this whole book going to be about barrels of beer and farming!?!" Then the Trolloc busted through the door and the rest is history. Worst part was waiting for 1-2 years between book releases. I've read EotW around 10 times.

I've dreamed of this series for literally decades (Egad, 30 years). When I saw the preview I got sick to my stomach because I thought there is no way you can make this work on the screen. There's like 6 million characters. There's like 14,000 pages. Everyone's going to compare it to GoT or LotR. There's just no way I'll like it.

I was wrong. I've had a blast watching this one. I realize it's not for everyone. People are foolishly comparing it to GoT. They are nothing alike (ie. characters rarely die in WoT and just about everyone dies in GoT. And WoT is far more black and white with good and evil.)

I'm ok with the changes. Although it's tough watching my favorite character, Perrin, go through the turmoil of losing his wife. I'm not sure I like that addition.

They nailed the characters. Love Rand, Matt, Perrin, Thom, Nynaeve, Lan, and Morraine. They nailed the look of the weaving. Nailed the Warder complementary fighting tactics to the Aes Sedai. Nailed the rich culture of Ajah's, Tinkers, and White Cloaks giving the universe immediate depth. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Seanchan show up early. Although I'm concerned too many non readers will get lost in all the culture. Makes me wonder if this series will only be adored by lifelong fans like myself. I've been an talking encyclopedia to my wife as she's watching with me.

Egwene is the most dissimilar to the book. But let's be honest, Robert Jordan didn't exactly write women very well. They were all arrogant and condescending. This Egwene is more likable. So is Morraine... and Nynaeve...

Love the Logain early entry creating tension. Although there's literally like 5,000 pages in the book till we see him again. Looks like there going to trim a ton of fat (thank goodness).

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still have my 1st edition copy of Eye of the World that I picked up as a high schooler. I only tried it because I loved Jordan's work on Conan the Barbarian. I read the 1st 100 pages and thought, "Is this whole book going to be about barrels of beer and farming!?!" Then the Trolloc busted through the door and the rest is history. Worst part was waiting for 1-2 years between book releases. I've read EotW around 10 times.

I've dreamed of this series for literally decades (Egad, 30 years). When I saw the preview I got sick to my stomach because I thought there is no way you can make this work on the screen. There's like 6 million characters. There's like 14,000 pages. Everyone's going to compare it to GoT or LotR. There's just no way I'll like it.

I was wrong. I've had a blast watching this one. I realize it's not for everyone. People are foolishly comparing it to GoT. They are nothing alike (ie. characters rarely die in WoT and just about everyone dies in GoT. And WoT is far more black and white with good and evil.)

I'm ok with the changes. Although it's tough watching my favorite character, Perrin, go through the turmoil of losing his wife. I'm not sure I like that addition.

They nailed the characters. Love Rand, Matt, Perrin, Thom, Nynaeve, Lan, and Morraine. They nailed the look of the weaving. Nailed the Warder complementary fighting tactics to the Aes Sedai. Nailed the rich culture of Ajah's, Tinkers, and White Cloaks giving the universe immediate depth. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Seanchan show up early. Although I'm concerned too many non readers will get lost in all the culture. Makes me wonder if this series will only be adored by lifelong fans like myself. I've been an talking encyclopedia to my wife as she's watching with me.

Egwene is the most dissimilar to the book. But let's be honest, Robert Jordan didn't exactly write women very well. They were all arrogant and condescending. This Egwene is more likable. So is Morraine... and Nynaeve...

Love the Logain early entry creating tension. Although there's literally like 5,000 pages in the book till we see him again. Looks like there going to trim a ton of fat (thank goodness).
As a non book reader I’m sort of lost, only watched 2 episodes.

I was lost in GoT too, I had to print the family trees and a map.

My wife doesn’t like the show so I will watch during ship visits when I’m alone.

I wish the whole series was out as my next trip is Monday !

Stout

Reaction score
And 90% of it isn’t even in the books.
Yep. You don't have to strictly follow books to make a show. Pretty impossible to do that. This show has made some really bad changes early that have hurt the show. This episode kind of provides a fire break. I'll be interested to see where they go from here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yep. You don't have to strictly follow books to make a show. Pretty impossible to do that. This show has made some really bad changes early that have hurt the show. This episode kind of provides a fire break. I'll be interested to see where they go from here.
What do you think has hurt the show? I think the first episode had a lot of WTF moments but they’ve done a great job with the threads. Nothing they’ve done has hurt the show IMO.

Two examples are Thom in episode 4 (which is the part of the ep from the books) and especially Perrins convo with the Tinker. Heck the confusion with Mat and the Fade was great too, even if a bit derivative.

The Warder stuff was fantastic and even if the scenes aren’t in the books, it was a culmination of SEVERAL scenes in the books. They even added Logain backstory, which Jordan never did.

And I speculate that the guy Liandrin captures in episode 1 is Thom’s nephew Owyn. Just because.

Stout

Reaction score
What do you think has hurt the show? I think the first episode had a lot of WTF moments but they’ve done a great job with the threads. Nothing they’ve done has hurt the show IMO.

Two examples are Thom in episode 4 (which is the part of the ep from the books) and especially Perrins convo with the Tinker. Heck the confusion with Mat and the Fade was great too, even if a bit derivative.

The Warder stuff was fantastic and even if the scenes aren’t in the books, it was a culmination of SEVERAL scenes in the books. They even added Logain backstory, which Jordan never did.

And I speculate that the guy Liandrin captures in episode 1 is Thom’s nephew Owyn. Just because.
The glaring errors are the Dragon Reborn "prophecy," which continues to be eye-rolling bad, Mat's character, Thom early, Perrin and the whole-cloth creation of the fridged wife for no apparent reason because he then hasn't even thought about the fake trauma. The first few episodes were very meh. Without considering the books, they were still meh. The last two have been better, with the fourth being the best yet. I'm hoping the show has broken out now and will continue improving. The character of Nynaeve is a major improvement on the books, for sure.

Well, Thom said his nephew Owyn ended a much different way, so I don't agree :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The glaring errors are the Dragon Reborn "prophecy," which continues to be eye-rolling bad, Mat's character, Thom early, Perrin and the whole-cloth creation of the fridged wife for no apparent reason because he then hasn't even thought about the fake trauma. The first few episodes were very meh. Without considering the books, they were still meh. The last two have been better, with the fourth being the best yet. I'm hoping the show has broken out now and will continue improving. The character of Nynaeve is a major improvement on the books, for sure.

Well, Thom said his nephew Owyn ended a much different way, so I don't agree :)
What do you mean? Owyn was gentled just like Thom described. We don’t know if that guy in episode 1 killed himself but he was a gentled male channeler. And the only male channelers that have even been mentioned is the Dragon, Logain and Owyn. Sounds reasonable to me. Lol

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

I loved the Mat mislead. Mat's sickness is slowly being revealed to both the characters and the audience. Saidin or something else... one wonders.

The Liandrin casting appears solid. She has a unique face that fits the character. Bringing her in early opens a lot of doors. Especially exposing the different philosophies of the Ajah's sects (ALL colors included).

As to Mat, I would suggest he's more a reflection of Sanderson's Mat as opposed to Jordan's. I know Jordan invented him, but Sanderson perfected him. He literally stole the show in the last 3 books under Sanderson. (Especially how he uses that town that keeps resurrecting). He was the epitomy of the reluctant hero with amazing timing and inexplicable luck.
I totally agree that the new editions haven't hurt the show. The female suggestion for the Dragon Reborn doesn't appear to have affected much, although I agree its counter to the prophesy. (It also conflicts with when one of the Aes Sedai's suggests they might need the Dragon to fight the Dark One. Doesn't make much sense to worry about it if it's a woman since she'd be sane).

Liandrin being Black Ajah makes her a more interesting addition early on. Although the actress already looks tainted by the Dark One so I wouldn't be surprised if everyone sees it coming.

Stout

Reaction score
What do you mean? Owyn was gentled just like Thom described. We don’t know if that guy in episode 1 killed himself but he was a gentled male channeler. And the only male channelers that have even been mentioned is the Dragon, Logain and Owyn. Sounds reasonable to me. Lol
Oooh, you're calling it's not fitting the exact timeline but farther back in time, which...yeah, I'm an idiot lol Totally feasible. It doesn't have to be a "present tense" scene.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oooh, you're calling it's not fitting the exact timeline but farther back in time, which...yeah, I'm an idiot lol Totally feasible. It doesn't have to be a "present tense" scene.
There’s a lot of little things like this throughout the show.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nerds!!!!!!

Just kidding. Will it really take three episodes to get into this? I don’t have that kind of attention span anymore for really anything but would love a new binge.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You would think that “present tense” for Liandrin would be pursuing and capturing Logain. I don’t think there is enough show time for that first scene to happen at the same time as the Two Rivers stuff. AND put the Logain capture that quick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose