The Video Game Deals Thread

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've played this for the last few days & it's okay, but it's very half-baked right now. Basically, they've released half a game with the other half "coming soon". Some of the achievements are really glitchy & don't track properly at all... for example, play 100 online games - I've played over 250 and still only have credit for 75 of them. The game itself moves very slowly... very long load times to get into matches, slow dealing with players going into animations (clapping, taking a drink, smoking, etc) instead of dealing out the cards, a 5 second animation whenever you go all-in. It's still poker, so it's kinda fun, but the overall experience makes me want to move on to something else once I finish getting a few more achievements that I'm close to.
there is a 360 game called something similar to "texas hold em poker" or something that had very fast loading times and was tons of fun to play. it is backwards compatible if you want to try it out. I was hooked on it for a while. I dont need animations and etc, its just a waste of time when playing cards IMO

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I had Texas Holdem Poker on the 360 & it was good... I think they discontinued server support for it though. Either way, I just wanted to give you guys an update on Prominence Poker since it was recently released as a free-to-play in August.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had Texas Holdem Poker on the 360 & it was good... I think they discontinued server support for it though. Either way, I just wanted to give you guys an update on Prominence Poker since it was recently released as a free-to-play in August.
I had always been tempted to try it due to liking the old game but having limited time to actually dive in. After reading your review, Ill probably continue to concentrate on worms considering I have owned it for 3 weeks and only played it about 2 hours.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, with Prominence, if you just want to sit down at a table with other online players (it's called a Casual Ring Game) and play for a while then it's not too bad.

I've been mainly doing head-to-head tournaments because they're over quickly & give you a good amount of experience (and points towards achievements) so the slow load times affect me a lot more. I would guess that it takes 45-75 seconds to load up the poker table once you join a room. There are also 6 person online tournaments (which can take a while if you have cautious players) and a single player mode where you play against CPU opponents (that are very aggressive & bluff a lot). When I played the CPU, they were raising before every single flop so you had to double or triple the blinds just to stay in every hand... and I'm not a fan of pre-flop betting unless I've got something good.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, with Prominence, if you just want to sit down at a table with other online players (it's called a Casual Ring Game) and play for a while then it's not too bad.

I've been mainly doing head-to-head tournaments because they're over quickly & give you a good amount of experience (and points towards achievements) so the slow load times affect me a lot more. I would guess that it takes 45-75 seconds to load up the poker table once you join a room. There are also 6 person online tournaments (which can take a while if you have cautious players) and a single player mode where you play against CPU opponents (that are very aggressive & bluff a lot). When I played the CPU, they were raising before every single flop so you had to double or triple the blinds just to stay in every hand... and I'm not a fan of pre-flop betting unless I've got something good.
I like to play tournament modes and they can go for hours, thats why i havent even turned it on yet.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love Star Trek, has anyone tried this out?
This is a port of the PC game Star Trek Online that came out back in 2010. The PC version had mixed reviews... it got rated anywhere from 6.5/10 - 8.5/10, but this console version starts with all of the expansion packs, updates & fixes that weren't in those original reviews.

It's probably worth a play (since it's free) for a Star Trek fan if you like MMO RPG games. It's supposed to have some of the original Star Trek actors doing voicework for the game.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a port of the PC game Star Trek Online that came out back in 2010. The PC version had mixed reviews... it got rated anywhere from 6.5/10 - 8.5/10, but this console version starts with all of the expansion packs, updates & fixes that weren't in those original reviews.

It's probably worth a play (since it's free) for a Star Trek fan if you like MMO RPG games. It's supposed to have some of the original Star Trek actors doing voicework for the game.

That's good to know, thanks!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
2K Games is releasing a free intro to NBA 2K17 called NBA 2K17: The Prelude. It sounds like you can create a college player & play through some college basketball games to get your created player ready for the NBA Draft... who then can be brought into the full version of NBA 2K17. The interesting thing about it is that this free game also comes with a full 1000 achievement gamer score that seems very easy to accomplish... some people are saying that it can be done in under an hour by simulating the games.

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fable III's two paid DLCs, Traitor's Keep Quest Pack and Dog Breed Set, are currently FREE on Xbox marketplace (Xbox 360 / Xbox One Backwards Compatible).

Traitor's Keep adds about 3 hours of gameplay & 250 achievement points. The Dog Breed Set just lets you change your dog into either a Poodle, Doberman or Alsatian, which has no effect on gameplay.

I beat the main game years ago, but I'm planning on going back to play through Traitor's Keep.

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Amazon Prime Day has Xbox One - Ryse: Son Of Rome for $5.99

It's a digital copy, but they mail you the redemption card.

I remember that as the PS4 launch title. The business plan being "we'll be the only PS4 game out there! They'll buy us simply for lack of options!"

Which was clever. But I saw through it. Looked like a rushed, obvious ploy. Could have been huge, but the quality just wasn't there.

As far as I can remember "Crazy Taxi" for Dreamcast was the same deal, however that was a legitimately fun game, so they knocked it out of the park and the game became synonymous with dreamcast.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember that as the PS4 launch title. The business plan being "we'll be the only PS4 game out there! They'll buy us simply for lack of options!"

Which was clever. But I saw through it. Looked like a rushed, obvious ploy. Could have been huge, but the quality just wasn't there.

As far as I can remember "Crazy Taxi" for Dreamcast was the same deal, however that was a legitimately fun game, so they knocked it out of the park and the game became synonymous with dreamcast.
it launched for both consoles as a launch game with limited accolade.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The demo was fun, it took you through a few different types of races... off-roading through the jungle in a dune buggy, driving on a sandy beach and of course road races. They give you a pretty good sized world to explore. The demo doesn't save your progress though so you have to start all over again if you try to play it again. I'll buy it once it gets under $25, but I'm still waiting for Forza Horizon 2 to drop below that price... which it should finally do after Horizon 3 come out at the end of the month.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Probably a pricing mistake, but Target has the brand new release Forza Horizon 3 for $19.99 (digital copy).

It says the digital code will arrive within 4 hours. I've ordered it & I'm expecting my order to be canceled, but if it actually goes through then it's a steal.

It's pretty clear that this is the price for one of their add-on car packs, but Target has screwed up & set it as the price for the full game.

Edit: some people are reporting that they received their code 30 minutes after ordering. Target doesn't seem to have caught on to their price mistake yet.

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dell has a $100 Xbox Gift Card for $90 after coupon code GIFT10. LINK

If you have any Dell Rewards Gift Cards that are about to expire then this can be an even sweeter deal. I also got an extra 4% cash back by using Shop Through Chase with my Chase Freedom CC.

EDIT: These gift cards can only be used for digital items (games, music, movies). They can not be used for physical items like Xbox Consoles, PCs, laptops, etc. I made the mistake of buying 3 because I was mislead on what they could be used for & I'm trying to cancel the order on 2 of the 3 that I bought. I haven't received them yet & the delivery date is 10/26 so I'm hoping I can cancel them instead of trying to re-sell them because I won't be buying $300 worth of digital games over the next year.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like it might be temporary

Speaking of delivering, how about a free Xbox One game to play with your friends during this event? Not a problem. Xbox is also giving all Xbox Live members free access to play Borderlands: The Handsome Collection now through October 30. Experience the highest performance and highest fidelity graphics for any Borderlands game ever on console, and invite your friends over to enjoy the game’s four-player split-screen mode, all in stunning high definition.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like a free weekend play.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the actual microsoft page on it hints that it is weekend only:

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
Wreak havoc with friends in award winning Borderlands and turn up the mayhem in co-op mode. Download on your Xbox One console and play for free from 10/27-10/30.

You must be registered for see images attach

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just bought the Borderlands Handsome Collection a month ago for $15... I haven't even had a chance to play it yet.

It's weird how this free play weekend happened... it's almost like the Xbox store had a price mistake because it was free on Wednesday when free play weekends usually don't let you download the games that early.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This was just a free play weekend... I'm now getting the prompt to buy the game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its fun, I beat borderlands one. Me and my son played 2 on friday night for about an hour but at most we would get about an hour a week which would take us forever so i doubt i will pick this up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard