The tie must die

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So since ties count as half a point...this is super unlikely but it can happen

A team could go 8-5-3 and that team would make the playoffs over the 9-7 team since ties count as half a win.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t get the angst. The 8-5-3 record is clearly better than the 9-7 record. Why is that a problem?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The other team has more wins

And also more losses, and the amount by which they have more losses is greater than the amount by which they have more wins.

If teams played an unequal number of games, would 9-7 be better than 8-5?

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
This is clearly an American thing. In soccer you get 1 point for a tie, 3 for a win. We just like to think you should either win or lose.

Personally I think a 8-5-3 team could easily be better than the 9-7 team. Goal should be to have the better team advance, not necessarily the team with "more wins."

Personally I don't care as long as we don't elongate OT. OT is when injuries are more likely to occur, so I'm not in favor of just playing until someone wins. No team has finished with 2 ties in a season, so the 8-5-3 scenario is so rare as to be a non-issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If a team went 0-0-16, could they say they were undefeated like the ‘72 Dolphins?
But we couldn’t pop the cork like the Fins because we wouldn’t make the playoffs :lol:

It takes a smart Texan to figure this out
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
So since ties count as half a point...this is super unlikely but it can happen

A team could go 8-5-3 and that team would make the playoffs over the 9-7 team since ties count as half a win.
A loss is a loss is a loss.

I’ll take a tie over that any day, especially how we came back

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I prefer 15 minute sudden death overtime. But if you don’t defeat them you don’t defeat them - it is what it is - and yes I can help more than hurt at the end of the year

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The tie last week was glorious. If you were mad...dejected...angry over our tie....the Cards are the least of your worries.....Now if i was a lions fan...yes im angry as hell in that tie. Glass half full half empty sort of thing

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NFL should go back to the first team who scores in OT wins. There is no unfair advantage to winning the coin toss, its like the opening drive to start a football game. If a defense can't stop a team from winning on a first possession score then they deserve to lose.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
NFL should go back to the first team who scores in OT wins. There is no unfair advantage to winning the coin toss, its like the opening drive to start a football game. If a defense can't stop a team from winning on a first possession score then they deserve to lose.

It's not quite the same, since both teams will get the ball in a game.

I am fine with the new rule (TD wins it or both teams get the ball).

After the first OT, I would be open to college style (35 yard line) or maybe even progressively longer FG's to win (think soccer).

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's not quite the same, since both teams will get the ball in a game.

I am fine with the new rule (TD wins it or both teams get the ball).

After the first OT, I would be open to college style (35 yard line) or maybe even progressively longer FG's to win (think soccer).
How so? Both teams wouldn't get the ball if the team who wins the coin toss kicks a FG, they'd win just like the old days.

There have been a lot more ties since the rule change to only a TD on first possession wins with only one overtime period.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose