Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Saw it today with my boys. They liked it, but they weren’t talking about it non stop afterwards, like they did with the latest Puss n Boots movie. Nice nods to the video game throughout. Entertaining, but I probably wouldn’t watch it again.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Saw it today with my boys. They liked it, but they weren’t talking about it non stop afterwards, like they did with the latest Puss n Boots movie. Nice nods to the video game throughout. Entertaining, but I probably wouldn’t watch it again.
I’m sorta here as well. Story was ho-hum but the nods to almost every Mario game was pretty clever and made me very nostalgic. Fantastic soundtrack as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hoooooly crap this movie is making a frackton of movie... estimates are at a 195 million dollar start for the 5 day, blowing away the expected 141/5.

I expected this to be big... really big, but not stupendously massive like this.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hoooooly crap this movie is making a frackton of movie... estimates are at a 195 million dollar start for the 5 day, blowing away the expected 141/5.

I expected this to be big... really big, but not stupendously massive like this.
Amazing considering the mixed reviews. My son went to see it with friends and liked it. A buddy of mine took his kids and said it sucked.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Amazing considering the mixed reviews. My son went to see it with friends and liked it. A buddy of mine took his kids and said it sucked.
It "sucked"? I'd like to know why he thought that. It's not over-the-top great like Spider-Verse, but it's pretty good, especially for those of us that grew up playing the games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seriously... this kind of box office return is proof positive of something definitely reviewproof.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Wow, that's nuts. It's a movie I've had trouble forecasting how big it was going to be. Video game movies have a bad history and we did have the 90s Mario movie but on the other side Mario and Nintendo are loved. I was thinking it would probably do at least all right but not be huge. Now it's looking like it's going to be in the huge category. If that estimate holds we're probably looking at the first billion dollar movie of the year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It "sucked"? I'd like to know why he thought that. It's not over-the-top great like Spider-Verse, but it's pretty good, especially for those of us that grew up playing the games.
He said aside from the action sequences the script was hallow and very little plot. He said the movie was lazy and was basically a big demo of fan service for people who played the the game. He played the game by the way and is a Nintendo fan. He also said if it was 20 minutes longer it would have been beyond annoying. So, I guess he was just expecting more than that.

My son on the other hand said it was decent. He said it wasn't great but had some fun parts. That's about all I got from him. Not exactly a ringing endorsement either.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He said aside from the action sequences the script was hallow and very little plot. He said the movie was lazy and was basically a big demo of fan service for people who played the the game. He played the game by the way and is a Nintendo fan. He also said if it was 20 minutes longer it would have been beyond annoying. So, I guess he was just expecting more than that.

My son on the other hand said it was decent. He said it wasn't great but had some fun parts. That's about all I got from him. Not exactly a ringing endorsement either.
I personally think it isn’t a surprise that the movie pays fan service. I would expect, however, that the inevitable sequel might be more clever. At least I hope so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making a movie that fans want to see? THE HORROR!!!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
More power to the folks who love this. I'm glad they got a perfectly fun, nostalgic movie. Nothing wrong with that. I can understand why the kids of today wouldn't necessarily be into it the same way--they don't have the nostalgia.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
More power to the folks who love this. I'm glad they got a perfectly fun, nostalgic movie. Nothing wrong with that. I can understand why the kids of today wouldn't necessarily be into it the same way--they don't have the nostalgia.
Did you see it?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much fun! The kid and I geeked out for a solid hour after the movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems like kids, adults… pretty much everyone and their freaking mother, are into it seeing as it just set the record for the biggest 5 day opener of all time… which is insane.

Initial estimates were a 125 million 5 day. Now it’s at 205 million for 5 days. That’s a crazy 80 million over expectations. That’s unheard of for any movie except maybe when The Force Awakens completely blew past expectations by like 60 million.

Last edited: