The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
+1000

It can arguably said that the reasons for us not winning a championship in the last 55 years could be traced to that damn coin flip.
@Chaplin What movie was it where they go back in time and a guy makes a kick in a football game to change his whole future? I can't quite remember it. I think he originally misses and his whole life is ****. Then they go back in time to have him make it, and everything changes.

I believe that coin flip would have changed the Suns. The Bills win that first SB, and they probably win all the rest. Who knows?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
@Chaplin What movie was it where they go back in time and a guy makes a kick in a football game to change his whole future? I can't quite remember it. I think he originally misses and his whole life is ****. Then they go back in time to have him make it, and everything changes.

I believe that coin flip would have changed the Suns. The Bills win that first SB, and they probably win all the rest. Who knows?
Mr. Destiny has that but it's baseball, not football.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you sure they really go back in time? In "The Best of Times" Kurt Russell and Robin Williams get to replay the big game many years later that ruined Robin's life (sort of) but there's no time travel and it's catching the winning TD not kicking but that's the closest movie I can think of. And on the subject of Head Coaches, former ASU HC Herm Edwards was one of the extras in it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s going to be Kevin Young according to Bill Simmons who’s had some Ishbia info in the past. If so, he must’ve blown them away in the interview process considering Ishbia is a headline maker and hiring an assistant from the same staff is not very headline heavy. Short of Booker demanding it I doubt many expected a same staff promotion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s going to be Kevin Young according to Bill Simmons who’s had some Ishbia info in the past. If so, he must’ve blown them away in the interview process considering Ishbia is a headline maker and hiring an assistant from the same staff is not very headline heavy. Short of Booker demanding it I doubt many expected a same staff promotion.
I suggested he'd be our pick several days ago because of a report that said positive things about his relationship with Devin and KD. Don't know if it's a done deal or not but what little I've heard about him sounds encouraging.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure they really go back in time? In "The Best of Times" Kurt Russell and Robin Williams get to replay the big game many years later that ruined Robin's life (sort of) but there's no time travel and it's catching the winning TD not kicking but that's the closest movie I can think of. And on the subject of Head Coaches, former ASU HC Herm Edwards was one of the extras in it.

This is what happens if you miss the time machine window by a millisecond.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns hire Kevin Young, I want to hear more about the Suns collapse in the playoffs in 2022.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I suggested he'd be our pick several days ago because of a report that said positive things about his relationship with Devin and KD. Don't know if it's a done deal or not but what little I've heard about him sounds encouraging.
Prior to that report he would’ve been a long shot. Certainly when Monty was fired he wasn’t being discussed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prior to that report he would’ve been a long shot. Certainly when Monty was fired he wasn’t being discussed.
We might be talking about a different "report". I'm pretty sure the one I read came out not long after Monty's firing and I think Kevin was the only Assistant mentioned in it. But yeah, up until then, it never crossed my mind that we'd be interested in in any Assistant, ours or from elsewhere.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns promote an assistant who was on the bench during the last two ridiculous playoff no shows I’ll have no choice but to laugh.

I look at this team and its culture of quit and think you need a complete overhaul. Promoting an assistant because Booker likes him would be the worst case scenario.

Average loss against Dallas and Denver 8 games was 19ppg. They flat out quit when the going gets tough. Sticking with the same will only result in more of the same.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns promote an assistant who was on the bench during the last two ridiculous playoff no shows I’ll have no choice but to laugh.

I look at this team and its culture of quit and think you need a complete overhaul. Promoting an assistant because Booker likes him would be the worst case scenario.

Average loss against Dallas and Denver 8 games was 19ppg. They flat out quit when the going gets tough. Sticking with the same will only result in more of the same.

This is why I want to hear about the Suns collapse in the 2022 playoffs.

The Suns roster was a disaster in Game 6 against the Nuggets with Ayton and Paul out. They didn't even have a bench.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Reading up on Nick Nurse. Apparently players didn't like how blunt he was to them and to the media about them. From what I've gathered he'd be the absolute worst coach to salvage Ayton because he'd tell him he sucks, which I'm sure he's heard from teammates but Nurse may break him completely.
For all we know people haven't been blunt enough with him. There is also the possibility of a new coach putting Ayton in spots that are more conducive to his skill set and thus him being happier about his role.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I win. I'd have Jerry call tails on that March day in 1969 and none of the rest of this matters.
Who knows what happens to Goodrich if they get Kareem but the role players would’ve been good enough to win a title or two in a weak west during the 70’s. Once West/Wilt tailed off we would’ve had to deal with Rick Barry for a few years but after it was only Bill Walton that was a threat and he was always hurt. Plus we’re close enough to LA that Kareem could’ve pursued his acting career without forcing a trade to be closer to Hollywood. However the Celtics never trade us Westphaul had we been battling in the finals every year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who knows what happens to Goodrich if they get Kareem but the role players would’ve been good enough to win a title or two in a weak west during the 70’s. Once West/Wilt tailed off we would’ve had to deal with Rick Barry for a few years but after it was only Bill Walton that was a threat and he was always hurt. Plus we’re close enough to LA that Kareem could’ve pursued his acting career without forcing a trade to be closer to Hollywood. However the Celtics never trade us Westphaul had we been battling in the finals every year.
I'm not so sure you can count out the Westphal trade but the league might have handled the Connie Hawkins situation much differently. Still, Kareem changes our destiny even if we only have him for the 6 years he was in Milwaukee. And I suspect ending up in warmer climes might have removed one of the reasons he wanted to be traded.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nurse just seems like such a no-brainer out of the remaining choices.

If Doc’s our coach, what little passion I still have for this team probably drops to zero. That makes next season beyond an exercise in futility.

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
They need to hurry up and name a coach because I already got my #Fire whoever hashtag ready lol tables have turned my orange and purple friends it's on

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I win. I'd have Jerry call tails on that March day in 1969 and none of the rest of this matters.
Meh, he would have won a championship for the Suns before most of us were born and then we'd all have to live through him being traded to the Lakers, to win 5 more rings. That should have been brutal.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Plus there were enough stars in Scottsdale back in the day, he could have rubbed elbows with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose