The Suns next big move

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. Its still early, but it looks like this team has turned a corner and is now competitive--at least they have been in every game so far this year.

So the next big move is to add a star player--the player that is a big three player to go with Booker and Ayton (or Booker and Oubre, depending on Ayton's development).

They are going to be looking for a declining team going into a rebuild that wants lots of assets and has a disgruntled star--or just a star--for that matter that they want to move.

The assets the Suns have to get a star player are their own picks, young players, and big expiring contracts.

Two to three first-round picks depending on the player.
Young promising players: Saric, Bridges, Cam, and even Oubre.
Expiring deals to even out the money: TJohnson, Saric, and even Baynes if necessary.

It will be interesting to see what star player becomes available this year. There are always a few. This year's trade deadline is the time to make this kind of move.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
OK. Its still early, but it looks like this team has turned a corner and is now competitive--at least they have been in every game so far this year.

So the next big move is to add a star player--the player that is a big three player to go with Booker and Ayton (or Booker and Oubre, depending on Ayton's development).

They are going to be looking for a declining team going into a rebuild that wants lots of assets and has a disgruntled star--or just a star--for that matter that they want to move.

The assets the Suns have to get a star player are their own picks, young players, and big expiring contracts.

Two to three first-round picks depending on the player.
Young promising players: Saric, Bridges, Cam, and even Oubre.
Expiring deals to even out the money: TJohnson, Saric, and even Baynes if necessary.

It will be interesting to see what star player becomes available this year. There are always a few. This year's trade deadline is the time to make this kind of move.
I like the message in your post. What position do you think our first choice will be?

I disagree with the Suns getting rid of Oubre. I just don't think it's going to happen
now that he is the spark plug of the team and a fan favorite.

Unless it is for a superstar.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Any star level power forwards possibly available?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I like the message in your post. What position do you think our first choice will be?

I disagree with the Suns getting rid of Oubre. I just don't think it's going to happen
now that he is the spark plug of the team and a fan favorite.

Unless it is for a superstar.

The move would likely be for a power forward as that is the team's biggest weakness. I do agree that Oubre isn't going anywhere (bridges is much more likely to go and I'm fine with that if if it is for a superstar).

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Kevin love

Unless we got him for basically nothing, I don't see it happening. Too old

Aaron Gordon is someone I'm sure they're targeting. Another way out there possibility is Karl Anthony Towns but theres a lot of factors going on in that one (fit with Ayton, playing the pf position, etc)

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The move would likely be for a power forward as that is the team's biggest weakness. I do agree that Oubre isn't going anywhere (bridges is much more likely to go and I'm fine with that if if it is for a superstar).

Alderidge, Griffin, Draymond, Markkanen?

Bagley?

I do not see any of those guys worthy of giving up the farm.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless we got him for basically nothing, I don't see it happening. Too old

Aaron Gordon is someone I'm sure they're targeting. Another way out there possibility is Karl Anthony Towns but theres a lot of factors going on in that one (fit with Ayton, playing the pf position, etc)
Isn't Aaron Gordon more of a sf? Now you are right about KAT. THAT would be intriguing.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Isn't Aaron Gordon more of a sf? Now you are right about KAT. THAT would be intriguing.

His natural position is power forward (hes more of a stretch 4) but the magic's roster is a mess. They have too many bigs and not enough guards. That's why they could be good trading partners

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me, this Suns team is kinda beginning to feel like it did in the KJ, Chambers, EJ stage pre-Barkley. They had just turned a corner, were competitive, but needed another piece to compete for a championship. I know it is really early, the next few games could change things completely. So, I am hoping.

Then they brought in Barkley and made a run.

I would think the declining teams are OKC, Warriors (although I am sure they just want to grab a good pick and retool), Wizards, Hornets, Magic, Pistons, Kings, Griz.

The Kings might have really made a big mistake with their last coaching change, but they do have a decent young roster.

There might also be a few teams with multiple good players at a single position and need to adjust their roster some--like Kuzma and Davis in LA.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not sure they don't have what they need on the roster already. Booker #1, Ayton #2 and Oubre #3. Just let those three grow together and continue to make upgrades around them where available.

That being said this team as constructed has a chance to be a very good team and with the current landscape of the league that could mean they have a chance to compete. This is especially true if the team gets even better with the return of Ayton.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Blake Griffen is the obvious choice.

Not crazy about him, but he is the only one I think may be available and would be a big upgrade.

But really, I think it may be to early to make a move during the season.

We need to see how much Ayton, Mikal, Oubre and Cam improve the rest of the year.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure they don't have what they need on the roster already. Booker #1, Ayton #2 and Oubre #3. Just let those three grow together and continue to make upgrades around them where available.

That being said this team as constructed has a chance to be a very good team and with the current landscape of the league that could mean they have a chance to compete. This is especially true if the team gets even better with the return of Ayton.
There is that possibility--that this team has arrived before it was expected to--but I doubt it. They do need to take their time and truly see what is needed. This next step is the hardest one. They need to do it right.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Blake Griffen is the obvious choice.

Not crazy about him, but he is the only one I think may be available and would be a big upgrade.

But really, I think it may be to early to make a move during the season.

We need to see how much Ayton, Mikal, Oubre and Cam improve the rest of the year.
He is an intriguing player but ALWAYS injured. I just cannot see that changing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope we don't trade for Kevin Love. I don't think it would cost all that much to get him. Tyler Johnson and a pick? He's owed a ton of money and while I really like this team and their chance to compete this year, adding Love would set them back longterm from a financial standpoint. We may end up losing Oubre in 2 years if we took on a contract like Love's. He's owed $31 million next season and the one after but that drops to $28 million in his final year. Including this year though he's owed $120 million over 4 seasons. That is too much for the Suns to take on for what he brings.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thought I'd compare Griffin's contract to Love's and it's bad either way. I might prefer Love if only because he's not as injury prone as Griffin.

Griffin is owed $36.5 next season and has a player option for the 2021-22 season for $38.9 million. Love would cost about the MLE less than Griffin annually as well, which I think matters. We would need to give up more for him to make the salaries work.

Here's Griffin's salary info...
You must be registered for see images attach

And Love
You must be registered for see images attach

For those interested. Pulled those from Spotrac.com

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Bringing Griffen or Love on is plain crazy, imo. Let this team keep jell ing. Experiment more with the C/PF combo's. Maybe a Baynes/Ayton combo with Kaminsky/Saric 2nd team.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, no, no. No big moves. Go with what you have for now.
I think that is where we all are to an extent. There is a other move that will need to be made, and it’s OK to talk about it, but there is no rush at all. Need to find out where we are exactly first.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We don't necessarily need a star at power forward, but we definitely need better than Saric and Kaminsky (particularly since it is becoming more and more obvious that Kaminsky is really a stretch 5, and not a 4).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We don't necessarily need a star at power forward, but we definitely need better than Saric and Kaminsky (particularly since it is becoming more and more obvious that Kaminsky is really a stretch 5, and not a 4).
It certainly wouldn't hurt to get an upgrade at PF, but those two guys are actually doing a solid job of holding down that position. Will look even better when we have Ayton back in the rotation.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It certainly wouldn't hurt to get an upgrade at PF, but those two guys are actually doing a solid job of holding down that position. Will look even better when we have Ayton back in the rotation.

exactly, we can and will play ayton and Baynes together

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
exactly, we can and will play ayton and Baynes together
There is that, but I was more so pointing to the fact that getting Ayton back means that Saric and Kaminsky will play pretty much all of their minutes with one Ayton or Baynes on the floor with them. That will make life easier on them on both ends.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton returning will limit Saric, Kaminsky, and Baynes' minutes. I think it will put them in more of an ideal situation as far as only playing when they're effective but if we make a trade then one of the frontcourt players needs to go or we risk someone becoming unhappy and potentially spoiling the chemistry that this team has.

I don't think a trade other than Diallo, Okobo, Lecque, and some 2nd rounders should happen now. I'd be ok with one of them being traded because they're not a part of the rotation and if we could somehow turn them into frontcourt depth that doesn't suck then that would be awesome but I can't see that happening. Diallo has been a disappointment and I've seen nothing from him as far as if he settles down he'll fit in. He just sucks and is in the NBA because he's 6'10" and quick for that size.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see who is available at the trade deadline in February. If the right player is available for a fair price it's something to consider. If not, the Suns can make a move next summer.

Some of the best free agents the Suns sign may be their own: Tyler Johnson, Aron Baynes and Jevon Carter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave