The Suns next big move

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just took a peek and - WOW - KAT’s numbers this early season are mind-blowing. His shooting numbers are dynamite.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towns is locked up for five seasons including this one. The only way he gets traded is if the Wolves want to trade him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say forget adding this year and lets run with what we have. I like our depth and its just a matter of time someone misses time on the team.

We're already dealing with that, basically. Ayton's suspension might as well be an injury. Unlike an injury we know exactly when he'll return but I doubt he returns at 100%. He'll need a few games to play himself into shape, which would be similar to adding a new player by trade except that everyone on the team knows Ayton and has practiced a lot with him. Fitting him in shouldn't take as long as it does for him to get back in game shape.

We'll be adding a top 10 Center in 20 games and it won't cost us anything. Why trade for a star when you're getting a player that you hope to become a star in a month and a half? He's more of a star than Aaron Gordon, who has been mentioned as a potential target.

I'm in favor of being buyers at the trade deadline, using Tyler Johnson's expiring contract as trade bait. That doesn't mean we need to be aggressive in our pursuit of anyone. We definitely shouldn't be thinking trade now. At the deadline is a different story. Thankfully we don't have garbage like Ariza that we're counting the days until he's eligible to be moved.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m all for Aaron Gordon. Good salary which means he is obtainable from that stand point. Maybe they decide to blow it all up.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
In watching Monte’s offense there seems to be a LOT of good 3-point looks for the PF. I wonder if some one like Danilo Gallinari might be a realistic option at the trade deadline if it looks like we are making a playoff push.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In watching Monte’s offense there seems to be a LOT of good 3-point looks for the PF. I wonder if some one like Danilo Gallinari might be a realistic option at the trade deadline if it looks like we are making a playoff push.
Um. Why not just play Kaminski then? Hmm. Just looked at the stats. Gallo looks decent. But he is 31. Hmm.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Um. Why not just play Kaminski then? Hmm. Just looked at the stats. Gallo looks decent. But he is 31. Hmm.
It would definitely just be a rental. Gallo is a big upgrade over Frank. I wouldn’t give up much, but if we are close to a playoff spot I wouldn’t mind bringing in a half season rental to get the playoff drought monkey off of our back.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Stand pat and add pieces as they come available for the right cost. Ayton isn’t even playing and he is still one of the best bigs in the game with all his flaws, I guess I wouldn’t call them flaws as of yet but more he needs to develop.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My idea with this thread was not so much what big move we have to make now, but what kind of move that might be down the road. This year's trade deadline is important because they will have to make a decision about whether they want to turn Tyler Johnson's expiring into something. There will be opportunity there, but it might not be worth it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Danilo would be interesting especially if the Suns had an injury in the frontcourt. I'm not sure what the Suns would have to give up to get him. He is an expiring contract like Tyler Johnson. The Suns gave up a couple of second round picks to move Josh Jackson.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Galinari is a good player with a suspect body, far too many injuries for me to want him here even on the cheap.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Galinari is a good player with a suspect body, far too many injuries for me to want him here even on the cheap.

I like Galinari as a player when he is healthy - but his contract is huge, and he is just a slightly better version of Dario.

Not enough of an improvement for the cost to the cap IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
have to make now, but what kind of move that might be down the road. This year's trade deadline is important because they will have to make a decision about whether they want to turn Tyler Johnson's expiring into something. There will be opportunity there, but it might not be worth it.

I know it would sound crazy 3-4 months ago but I trust James Jones. One thing I was always pretty confident Jones knew how to account for was team chemistry. He was sort of a glue guy during his career, being a buddy to the stars despite being a fringe rotation player because of his skill. We saw him do some quality team building last year by dumping dead weight (Tyson Chandler, Ariza, and Ryan Anderson) and adding guys who fit and helped build positive chemistry (Oubre, Tyler Johnson, and Jamal Crawford). Of course it wasn't perfect but he didn't have a lot of time or assets to work with to improve things. He wasn't going to blow all of his assets to improve a 19 win to 25 wins, and I'm glad he didn't because that helped allow him to make the moves he wanted during this offseason.

If he thinks trading Tyler Johnson for someone who helps improve the team on paper but hurts them in the locker room, I don't think he'll do it unless it turns us into a legit contender or he feels the locker room will be fine. He's not going to make a move for the sake of making a move.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm not sure drafting a PG is the priority it once was. Power forward and frontcourt depth may be a bigger concern - of course, depending on whatever they might do in free agency.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not sure drafting a PG is the priority it once was. Power forward and frontcourt depth may be a bigger concern - of course, depending on whatever they might do in free agency.
Depends where we fall in the draft. Lottery--PG might be BPA. But if we make the playoffs, all bets are off.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
It's not the priority it was last year but it's still a priority Rubio is the only good pg on the team (depending on how Jerome plays ) he gets injured we will have Johnson starting again

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave