The Steelers.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
So, how do we beat them?

Personally, I think their run defense is vunerable. They have given up 4 YPC to a bunch of pretty average running teams so far.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i think everything is in order for the Cards to beat them. They are traveling across the country, this is their first real road game, Whiz and staff know the Steelers better than any other staff in the league,this is a ho-hum game for them,the Cards will have extra motivation to get a win for Whiz and Grimm to beat their old team, plus the main thing. I just think the Cardinals,surprisingly, are pretty good this year.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me take that back. The players that really worry me are Eric Green, Terry Holt and Bert Berry. The three of them have been killing us thus far.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Its fairly obvious what they need to do to beat the Steelers and that's stop their run game. After watching McGahee run all over them Sunday I don't know if we have a chance of seeing Parker shut down.

Other than Polamalu I don't know if their secondary is that great so we could see another big day from one of our WRs. If we do it could be a good day for Cardinals fans.

One thing I'll enjoy watching is two former Longhorns, Casey Hampton and Lyle Sendlein, going at it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did the BRS breakdown and matchups. The Steelers look more formidable to me than did the Ravens.

- We do better against bruising RB's (Gore and Alexander) than we do shifty cutback types (McGahee). Parker is a quicker, shiftier, more explosive version of McGahee.

- Pittsburgh leads the NFL in rushing yardage, averaging nearly 200 yards a game. Much of this has to do with their O-line (which is the epitome of what Whiz hopes our O-line will eventually be - a physically dominant power-blocking unit).

- Roethlisberger (who hasn't had to throw all that deep or that often) has a 102.9 QB Rating.

- They're #1 or #2 in stopping the run (giving up less than 80 yards a game)

- Last week, they ran 16 minutes off the clock on their first 2 possessions.

- Their pass rushers have 12 sacks to their credit (For sake of comparison, ours has 8).

WHAT TO DO:
Unlike other teams we've played, the Steelers don't create much of a "choose between 2 poisons" situation for our OLB's and Adrian in the form of a good TE and a RB coming out of the backfield (Parker has only 5 catches in three games). Instead, they like to go with 2 wide receivers with their TE essentially becoming their 3rd wideout (Miller leads their receivers in catches). They either employ a 2nd TE as a blocker in a one-back scheme or use a FB as a lead blocker for Parker.

This should simplify the responsibilities for each guy on our defensive unit.

Hines Ward (knee) is listed as doubtful and, even if he does play, figures to be a bit limited leaving it up to Santonio Holmes, Cedric Wilson and Miller for our Back 7 to cover.

On run defense, we need to control two things: (1) the cutback lanes and (2) straight ahead power blasting by the Steeler O-line. Our Front 7 will have to exercise gap-discipline and protect the cutback lanes and outside contain. Watson (and hopefully Branch) will have to play "stout" and not take false first steps in order to negate the power blast.

Offensively, I'd like us to challenge Pittsburgh's run defense dominance - if for no other reason than to keep their pass rushers and defenders honest.

Whether it's Warner or Leinart, the one thing I liked a lot about our 2nd half pass offense last week is that we dictated to the Ravens rather than vice versa. (In other words, we should play our own game, trade on our own strengths, get our receivers involved and let the Steeler defense worry about us.

Finally, what it will all probably come down to is execution. We know (from their first 3 games) that the Steelers can execute close to flawlessly for an entire football game. We also know that the Cardinals have not put two halves of solid football together thus far.

Assuming for the moment that both teams match up equally in terms of talent, Pittsburgh holds the high ground, because their track record suggests they execute at a high level more consistently than we do. For us to beat them, we have to bring our "A" game for all 60-minutes, hope the breaks even out and let's see whose better.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
While the Steelers run yards per game defense is impressive, the average they give up is exactly the same as the Cardinals -- both are tied at #20 for yards per attempt surrendered (4.0) --

Both have faced Frank Gore and shut him down (3.1 per attempt vs AZ; 2.8 vs Pit)

Both teams run the ball well --- Pitt is No. 2 in yards per attempt with 5.5, AZ is #9 with 4.5. Pitt has faced the #26, #30 and #31 ranked run defenses (in yards/attempt), while AZ has faced the #2, #16 and #26 ranked run defenses.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its fairly obvious what they need to do to beat the Steelers and that's stop their run game. After watching McGahee run all over them Sunday I don't know if we have a chance of seeing Parker shut down.

Other than Polamalu I don't know if their secondary is that great so we could see another big day from one of our WRs. If we do it could be a good day for Cardinals fans.

One thing I'll enjoy watching is two former Longhorns, Casey Hampton and Lyle Sendlein, going at it.

Really! McGahee didn't run for 100 last Sunday.

football karma

Reaction score

Thats the good news.

The bad news is that he averaged 5 yards a carry

The good news is that if you take away his second run for 37 yards, he averaged less than 3.5

The bad news is that I hate looking at things that way

The good news is that even with averaging more than 5, the Cards still had a very good chance to win that game at the end.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop the run and throw slants to Boldin all day long. And then when they stop the slant to boldin..wait, they can't stop Boldin. So yeah...keep going to Boldin over and over. Mix in some Larry and some runs but the key to this game is stopping Parker and letting Boldin run loose.

football karma

Reaction score
Question:

Does either team have an information advantage?

From a Steelers POV-- they will be seeing an offense that they are very familiar with. One could argue that the smarter Pitt defensive players might know the offense better than the Cardinals. They will also have a feel for Whis' tendencies and what he likes to do.

From a Cards POV-- Whis will know most of the Pitt offense, but to what degree Arians has changed it is unknown. He will definately know Pitt players on O and D and their tendencies. Particularly true for Grimm and their o linemen. Should have a good feel for the Pitt D. Maybe the biggest thing is the Whis will know what Ben has trouble with.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

come on now, the guy had 98 yards, by far his best game of the season. I'd say that's a pretty good game for him, no?

btw - I think we just get annihilated this week but start turning the season around next week in St.Louis. We take that game and I think we have a shot of being in the running for the wild card for the rest of the season, which is all I can ask of a first year HC.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop the run and throw slants to Boldin all day long. And then when they stop the slant to boldin..wait, they can't stop Boldin. So yeah...keep going to Boldin over and over. Mix in some Larry and some runs but the key to this game is stopping Parker and letting Boldin run loose.

Baltimore was jumping on the slant route to Fitz, and Leinart was still throwing it. They weren't on Boldin.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baltimore was jumping on the slant route to Fitz, and Leinart was still throwing it. They weren't on Boldin.

Q runs a very precise slant...his initial break is very fast and a defender would have to be ridiculously good to jump the route with Q. Fitz is poor on running the slant, though I think he runs better deep routes than Q.

football karma

Reaction score

oh -- they were jumping the slant, at least on certain patterns

one of Warners big gains was a fake slant where Boldin broke long after the fake--

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The good news about the Steelers having such good line play this year is than perhaps the same will hold true for the Cardinals 0-line once Grimm leaves to become head coach elsewhere.

Reaction score
I think that "jumping the slant routes" has become a known tactic for defending the Cardinals. If teams continue this approach then it has to make them susceptible to the routes over the top of the slants, ex. - seam over top the slant to TE.

:shrug:

Reaction score
The good news about the Steelers having such good line play this year is than perhaps the same will hold true for the Cardinals 0-line once Grimm leaves to become head coach elsewhere.
Except Grimm worked 6 years in Pittsburgh. It's doubtful that Arizona could keep him that long. I hope that they can just keep him at least one more year beyond this season.

football karma

Reaction score
I think that "jumping the slant routes" has become a known tactic for defending the Cardinals. If teams continue this approach then it has to make them susceptible to the routes over the top of the slants, ex. - seam over top the slant to TE.

:shrug:

The route Warner threw was a three step drop -- Boldin runs a hard slant for two steps and then runs an up, angling back towards the sideline--

the cb reads the quick drop by Warner and the Boldin in cut and committs -- once he stops his backpedal to step forward, he is toast and Boldin runs right past him. Kurt just lays the ball out there for Boldin to run under.

Ran that pattern late against SD last year for a huge gain, and against Balt for like 25.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
come on now, the guy had 98 yards, by far his best game of the season. I'd say that's a pretty good game for him, no?

McGahee had runs of 5,6,7,9,14,17, and 37 yards. That's what I was alluding to. Too many long runs. Parker is faster and I just feel that if he gets away like McGahee did we'll be in big trouble.

Meanwhile here are Alexander's carries from the first half of the Seattle game:

3,2,-2,2,0,0,2,3. Now that's not letting someone run all over you. :koolaid:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Let's see... Steelers are 3-0 and are a damn good team but they have played

Cleveland (1-2)
Buffalo (0-3)
San Francisco (2-1)

Buffalo and San Francisco offense is nothing to be too proud of...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The formula remains unchanged pretty much each year no matter how hard we, the fans, try and dissect it.

Run the ball.

Stop the run.

You tend to win more than you lose when you do those things.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The formula remains unchanged pretty much each year no matter how hard we, the fans, try and dissect it.

Run the ball.

Stop the run.

You tend to win more than you lose when you do those things.

Unless you are the Indianapolis Colts of course.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless you are the Indianapolis Colts of course.

Even they need to stop the run in order to make that offense more potent. Last year, they went through that horrid stretch where teams were racking up 200 yards per game on the ground against them. They finally got it taken care of but had that continued, no matter how good commercial boy would have played, they would not have won the Super Bowl.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson