the "props to Keim" thread

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's time to bring this thread back to life.

For all the hate we've thrown at Keim over the past few years (which was largely deserved), it's time to give him his props.

We know historically speaking that Keim has been awful at drafting, but the truth is he has quietly build a core of young talent through the draft over the last 3 years. Those players include:

-Kyler Murray
-Byron Murphy
-Zach Allen
-Isaiah Simmons
-Josh Jones
-Leki Fotu
-Rashard Lawrence
-Zaven Collins
-Rondale Moore
-Marco Wilson

*I'm not going to include Michael Dogbe, but for a 7th round pick, you gotta love this guy

When you add in some of the recent trade and free agent acquisitions of:

-Deandre Hopkins
-JJ Watt
-Rodney Hudson
-AJ Green
-James Connor

We'll, quite frankly he's been awesome.

Now let's hope he can work his trade magic to bring in a talented TE.

You neglected, IMO - to mention key drafted contributors like Baker, J. Thompson, Golden, Gardeck, Kirk, Chase Edmonds; key backups Turner, D. Thompson, Miles, and a few possibilities in the pipeline such as Gowan, Dimukeje, Wiggins.

But, of course, you should expect to hear about ANDY ISABELLA!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You neglected, IMO - to mention key drafted contributors like Baker, J. Thompson, Golden, Gardeck, Kirk, Chase Edmonds; key backups Turner, D. Thompson, Miles, and a few possibilities in the pipeline such as Gowan, Dimukeje, Wiggins.

But, of course, you should expect to hear about ANDY ISABELLA!

I have moved on from Isabella. Dk was the 9th receiver taken and everyone passed on him at least once.

I mean the Eagles took Arcega-Whiteside over him and that guy is even worse than Andy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think we will bring in a name at TE. Our mentality seems to be next man up.
Hope the next man can do the job. I’m not to confident in Daniels.
Hope I’m wrong on all counts.

I don't think it needs to be a name either, but we need someone.

I'd bring in both Eifert and Burton to the PS. Let them duke it out for a week and see which one is the best. Keep them both if they work out.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have always thought the criticism he got on here was crazy. The knee jerk reactions and opinions of some on here never make sense. Our roster and team and coaching have been stellar this year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Keim is the equivalent of a good but not great blackjack player.

sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses -- its more about the flow of the cards vs the skill.

the NFC West is the best division in football-- and look at the other three GMs in the division:

John Schneider. Drafted RW and the Legion of Boom. since then however...........
John Lynch. Good roster. Also drafted Solomon Thomas and Rueben Foster. VERY hit or miss.
Les Snead. Maybe a better comp to Keim --

i dont know if any of the three above are demonstrably better then Keim -- they also depend highly on the flow of the cards.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Keim is the equivalent of a good but not great blackjack player.

sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses -- its more about the flow of the cards vs the skill.

the NFC West is the best division in football-- and look at the other three GMs in the division:

John Schneider. Drafted RW and the Legion of Boom. since then however...........
John Lynch. Good roster. Also drafted Solomon Thomas and Rueben Foster. VERY hit or miss.
Les Snead. Maybe a better comp to Keim --

i dont know if any of the three above are demonstrably better then Keim -- they also depend highly on the flow of the cards.

So their choices are driven by our picks! :)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s been doing a great job and it’s plain to see. I said it before the year and got ridiculed lol but he’s going to win NFL Executive of the year… again. I know the sheep on this board can’t handle it but Keim is a damn good GM and isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always thought the criticism he got on here was crazy. The knee jerk reactions and opinions of some on here never make sense. Our roster and team and coaching have been stellar this year.
Sorry CC but Keim was crapping the bed going back 4 years ago. I’ll give him credit that he’s righted the ship to this point but any criticism he got was well deserved.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He’s been doing a great job and it’s plain to see. I said it before the year and got ridiculed lol but he’s going to win NFL Executive of the year… again. I know the sheep on this board can’t handle it but Keim is a damn good GM and isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
Well...this year has gone a long way towards that to be fair. Some things we can't just dismiss.

Robert Alford is playing well this year but Keim also gave a guy who was outright cut 6 and then 7.5 mil in consecutive years which resulted in zero snaps played.

Devon Kennard is being paid 7.25 mil this year to do very little on top of the 2.5 mil last year to also do little and will cost 2.5 next year if we cut him.

Jordan Phillips is paid 12 mil this year to do very little after being paid 4 mil in 2020 with limited impact and he is scheduled to make 12 mil next year unless we cut him which then still ends up in 4 mil in dead money.

The Suggs fiasco was awful.

Same with Sam Bradford.

We had to trade and pay for Rodney Hudson (great move) because Keim couldn't get the C position right with Mason Cole and Lamont Gaillard.

Say what you want about Haason Reddick but we got very little production out of him prior to last year and then let him walk for nothing.

Chad Williams, Christian Kirk, Andy Isabella, Hakeem Butler and KeeSean Johnson all preceded hitting on Rondale Moore and having to pay 6 mil for AJ Green.

We had to spend two top 10 picks in consecutive years to get the QB right. Ultimately it worked out and to get the right QB it is worth it, but not how you want to have to continually do business,

The overall draft classes from 2016 through 2019 were more way more bad than good. 30 players drafted and only 10 on the roster currently. That includes Andy Isabella, Joshua Miles, Michael Dogbe, and Dionte Thompson who contribute very little.

There has been a history of bad followed by a recent period of good. That doesn't erase Keim's history but it can give hope for his future. I think it is a bit silly to try and say how good when there is clear evidence of a struggle. Keep in mind that Keim is the only GM in the NFL who has hired three head coaches under his watch. There is a reason for that.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thanks to Josiah for resurrecting this thread... I dont even remember half my takes so good for you for remembering someone said props to Keim during the offseason. joking aside, Steve has done well, especially after seeing the Ertz trade.

Pat Macafee astutely annotated that our management is taking care of this QB. You need a TE Kyler? sure, I'll bring in a stud before the end of the week. There is something significant about that. We might have a winning recipe boys.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure you complainers actually know what is typical for an NFL team. Very few draft picks for any team make a lasting impact. And if you want free agents, you have to pay them. You can't complain that they actually went out and got some high quality FA's, especially if they aren't playing much because our own young draft picks are playing even better.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t think we will bring in a name at TE. Our mentality seems to be next man up.
Hope the next man can do the job. I’m not to confident in Daniels.
Hope I’m wrong on all counts.
Zach Ertz would like a word with you... or maybe his wife.. she would also beat the shiii out of us

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not sure you complainers actually know what is typical for an NFL team. Very few draft picks for any team make a lasting impact. And if you want free agents, you have to pay them. You can't complain that they actually went out and got some high quality FA's, especially if they aren't playing much because our own young draft picks are playing even better.
I think you would be shocked how much those who have been critical regarding Keim know. You can't just sweep the multiple years of bad under the rug because of recent success. That also doesn't mean Keim hasn't earned praise for his recent moves.

Paying Bradford 16 mil, drafting Rosen at 10 in 2018 and the Kyler at 1 in 2019 isn't a normal path to getting a franchise QB. What I can appreciate is that didn't just sit on his butt when trying to get the QB spot right even if he failed initially.

The massive amount of resources it has taken to get the WR position right, for one year is not really an indictment on Keim's ability. I cited how many WRs we have drafted just to try and get the productivity of Kirk and Rondale, however we still had to trade for a #1 (great move) and spay 6mil for a #2 vet. And next year only two of those players will be under contract.

Keim has done better for whatever the reason. 100%. He and Kliff are looking like they will both earn an extension. Also great! But we can't ignore the fact that our roster was pretty awful for a couple years and is just now getting back to where it was in 2015. Keim looks to have earned a chance to keep it going. Great for him (and us as fans who want this team to succeed).

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. Keim screwed up enough to deserve all the criticism he got.
Bradford was one of the biggest gaffes and what made it worse he signed for TWO years even though you had to think we were drafting a Qb. Also signed Glennon which was downright absurd.
Thank god we were bad enough to get the first pick and grab Murray. Imagine if we had won a game or two more. We’d be watching Jones or Haskins . EGADS!

I’ll give him credit for this off season. I thought he was selling snake oil. I guess that’s why I’m not a GM…lol.

Many are worried about next years roster. I don’t. Live for and enjoy this magical season.
There is a lot of time for this season to go south. If that happens it would probably be from devestating injuries. But it won’t be from the off season moves.

But know this SK, we will all be watching.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I've got plenty of "skeletons in my closet"! But I am not a public figure; when you are it comes with the job!

I actually commend Steve Keim for regaining both his sobriety and his GM skills.
So you have followed him daily for the last 8 years and you know exactly what he has done?

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Exactly why football is a result oriented business, because nobody really knows another person. The only way to get an idea is in results.

Reaction score
So you have followed him daily for the last 8 years and you know exactly what he has done?
No, I form an opinion based upon what I and others have seen, heard and otherwise observe. I've got my opinion, you've got yours. . . I will leave it at that.

Whatever the impetus, I'm glad Keim and the team are doing well!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose