The Please Come to Phoenix LaMarcus Aldridge Thread

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, there is no doubt San Antonio is in a better position. Clearly a better organization, no income tax on the state level, better players. Downside is that they are OLD. Manu is done, Duncan is half a player he used to be, Parker is slowing down. At the same time, they do have some good youngsters (Green, Lenard) so I think it could come down to the question of where he would be better off two years from now.

Another consideration is that, if he goes to San Antonio, he's going to be filling Duncan's shoes within a couple of years, and that might be discouraging. If he comes to Phoenix, he's the #1 guy right off the bat, and has a chance to go down as a franchise great.

That said, I agree with you that the Spurs are the favorite.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another consideration is that, if he goes to San Antonio, he's going to be filling Duncan's shoes within a couple of years, and that might be discouraging. If he comes to Phoenix, he's the #1 guy right off the bat, and has a chance to go down as a franchise great.

That said, I agree with you that the Spurs are the favorite.

Shortly after that as well the contingent of Spurs players that contributed to those runs would be gone too. He has a pretty young core here to grow with.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Best training staff in the league.

Big things happen when I'm away from home.

Suns trade Dragic for Brooks was on the way home from work
Suns trade Dragic to Heat was at lunch
Vince Carter came to Suns via trade was in San Francisco
Haren was traded to the Dbacks was in Las Vegas
Suns sign Chandler was at lunch

I'm heading to New Orleans on Friday with my mom.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think we have a very real chance.

Going to SA is not a home run for Aldridge:

- he would likely lose his star status joining Duncan and Leonard and the Spurs he will be seen as an addition to what is already there
- he will have to play some center
- he will likely have to sacrifice stats
- once Duncan, Popovic and Ginobili are gone there is no telling what will happen to the Spurs.

It is not like Aldridge is a media darling supersstar like Kevin Love and even Love has lost a lot of reputation in the year in Cleveland.

I think the Suns roster with Aldridge can be as good as anyone almost and Aldridge will be recognized as the man. We have players as good or close to as good as Damian Lillard with no reputation.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope he makes up his mind sooner than later and doesn't go through multiple rounds of meetings to pick a team.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But he already has teams lining up giving him max contracts. This isn't an unknown player- everyone agrees he is a max player and everyone is willing to pay him that.

I'm not believing it (right now anyway) but there are other ways he could perhaps be using us for leverage. This is a post from a Blazers forum, it's certainly a possibility even if it's rather unlikely

Just talked to someone that tends to know more than most in terms of the organization behind the scenes. Nothing should be a shocker to us.

What LMA wants is a 1+1 with a promise to be resigned at the max after one year. He wants to play for the Spurs (total of $148 mil over 5 years)

Portland has offered the 5 year max (110 mil). Aldridge's camp asked for 1+1 with a resign to a max 5 year deal. Portland won't promise that. Over the next six years that's around $193,000,000. They will not offer Aldridge a 1+1 because they are afraid of him bolting anyway and they don't want to build around him to see him leave, then be stuck in a really bad rebuild situation.

They have been drumming up the Lakere interest because that's the franchise most likely to give him a 1+1 with max resign. He'll try to use that as leverage to get the same offer from Houston. Then he'll leverage that against SA in case they don't want to agree to it (And feeling is they absolutely won't). The other teams on the list are simply to put as much pressure on the Spurs as possible.

The problem is SA might give him the 1+1 but will likely promise to resign him for a minimum of $91 over the next 4 so it equals the same contract amount that Portland is offering at the 5 year max right now. He makes the money, pays less taxes, becomes a Spur, and gets to live in Texas. Everyone wins... except Portland.

The obvious problem with the 1+1 route is if he has a career derailing injury this year. Its a big gamble that he's struggling with internally.

His feeling is the Blazers are expecting him to sign with the Spurs on a 1+1 and then get that 90+ mil the next four years.

Take it for what it's worth, with a grain of salt, or whatever you want.

Passes the logic test to me though all the way through.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
'Signing Aldridge to a 1+1 and promising to resign him to 5/140 when he is 32 does not seem like something the Spurs would do.

That post smells fishy all over the place..

That "sign a short deal to sign a new max contract sooner" is way overplayed. Nobody outside of Lebron has done this, not even Love. It is far more likely that Aldridge wants the 5th year in Portland than signing 2 years.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not believing it (right now anyway) but there are other ways he could perhaps be using us for leverage. This is a post from a Blazers forum, it's certainly a possibility even if it's rather unlikely

It was widely known that the Lakers were already out of the equation.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some around here love to be critical of the Suns and their ability to draw big free agents, but who was the last big name free agent to sign with S.A? There isn't one. Few teams have lured big names away from their previous team. San Antonio never has. San Antonio does have more to offer for next season, but after that what will they have? The Suns could make the playoffs with Aldridge next season, maybe even win a first round series, but they will have the ability to add and perhaps have a shot the following few years. He will have to decide which teams future looks better. Los Angeles is showing that a winning tradition goes out the window when those who were the brains behind the success leave. Every year I hear Laker fans tell us how they are on the verge of being back in the mix. They are years from being relevant and with the crew running the team today, I doubt their ability to get back. When Pop retires, what will become of the Spurs? Aldridge has a tough choice. Portland's bigger contract offer has got to be calling him too.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would so love it if the Spurs miss out.

Their arrogant cocky fan base and the unreal ongoing media lovefest is unbearable. I can't wait for that franchise to go up in flames when Duncan and Popovic are done.
Their fans are pretty much worse than Laker fans right now.

Kawhi Leonard is very good but the talk about him as if he is some sort of super star already is ridiculous. By that narrative Draymond Green is the next big superstar too.

Last edited:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A backcourt of Bledsoe and Knight with a frontcourt of Chandler and Aldridge, with all the young guys also getting ready is too good to think about. We would instantly be out of the too bad to win/to good to suck morass. What is it, four out of five years to be the 9th ranked team in the west?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Though we should not overrated Aldridge. I dont think he is a super star. He is not a perennial allstar.
He is very very good, he is an allstar.

At this point he is probably comparable to Larry Nance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though we should not overrated Aldridge. I dont think he is a super star. He is not a perennial allstar.

Larry Nance could soar so high.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some around here love to be critical of the Suns and their ability to draw big free agents, but who was the last big name free agent to sign with S.A? There isn't one. Few teams have lured big names away from their previous team. San Antonio never has. San Antonio does have more to offer for next season, but after that what will they have? The Suns could make the playoffs with Aldridge next season, maybe even win a first round series, but they will have the ability to add and perhaps have a shot the following few years. He will have to decide which teams future looks better. Los Angeles is showing that a winning tradition goes out the window when those who were the brains behind the success leave. Every year I hear Laker fans tell us how they are on the verge of being back in the mix. They are years from being relevant and with the crew running the team today, I doubt their ability to get back. When Pop retires, what will become of the Spurs? Aldridge has a tough choice. Portland's bigger contract offer has got to be calling him too.

Some people keep saying stuff like "some people", being judgmental of everyone's posts and then being hypocritical about perception.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

LOL

this guy. Hes close to 25 and 12. Hes 2nd Team All NBA PF last year. Nuff said.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Aldrige will read this and it will be the deciding factor. :D

I'm counting on Aldridge to have already the article.

I don't think it will be a deciding factor but it can't hurt.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Knicks may sign Robin Lopez.

This could help them in their competition for Aldridge.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m4 minutes ago

Sources: With New York losing out on Greg Monroe, the process of the Knicks working to close on deal with Robin Lopez will gain momentum.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe for a micro-second. Man...I just don't see how Lopez is going to put anybody over the top in any scenario. Maybe others have posted it. Does LMA have any kind of ties to New York?

If I recall correctly, Phil Jackson was supposed to sell Aldridge on a three star concept. They have Carmelo Anthony, Aldridge would be the second but I'm having trouble finding the third star.

If the Knicks sign Robin Lopez, that would be a tie.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Phil Jackson was supposed to sell Aldridge on a three star concept. They have Carmelo Anthony, Aldridge would be the second but I'm having trouble finding the third star.

If the Knicks sign Robin Lopez, that would be a tie.

A tie with whom? Chandler is much better than Lopez. Aldridge isn't going to New York.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen