The Pacific (HBO miniseries)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The Pacific is a World War II television drama mini-series, produced by HBO, which is currently in development. It is the successor to Band of Brothers. Whereas Band of Brothers focused on United States involvement in the European Theater of Operations, the new series will be about the Pacific Theater of Operations.

The Pacific is being spearheaded by Bruce McKenna, who was one of the main writers on Band of Brothers. Hugh Ambrose, the son of Band of Brothers author Stephen Ambrose, will serve as a project consultant.[2]

Production of the series started in August 2007, in Australia. Filming locations will include in and around Port Douglas, Queensland and both Melbourne and rural Victoria.[3] The series has a budget of more than US$200 million and the series is thought to be the most expensive ever made in Australia. While the producers – HBO, Playtone and Dreamworks – have not made an official comment about The Pacific, they have set up a production office in Melbourne and commenced casting. The Seven Network will also assist with production.[4]

Storyline
The Pacific will not be associated with any of the characters from Band of Brothers and is to be based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines: With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.[2] The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages.

Given the literary sources mentioned above, the series will feature well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

I'm really looking forward to this. I loved Band of Brothers and this has nearly double the budget. Holy Crow.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_(miniseries)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Band of Brothers was great. This is the same team. Mr. Hanks and company did a great job. Have no doubt this will be great as well. Can't wait.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Part one is next Sunday.

Watched the HBO "Making of the Pacific" last night - I have high hopes for this miniseries.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Already have my DVR set to record each episode. Didn't realize they had a making of. Guess I'll have to catch the next airing. Can't wait for this to start.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Are they promoting this at all? I haven't seen any commercials on it. I heard after Band of Brothers (which was great) that they were thinking about doing a series about the Pacific campaign but that was years ago. I'm just surprised that it's almost here and I haven't heard that it was going to be on.

Off to set the DVR now...

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Are they promoting this at all? I haven't seen any commercials on it. I heard after Band of Brothers (which was great) that they were thinking about doing a series about the Pacific campaign but that was years ago. I'm just surprised that it's almost here and I haven't heard that it was going to be on.

Off to set the DVR now...

I've seen some commercials on HBO about it. The big ad push will probably come next week.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
There is a huge billboard on I-95 in Philly.

The caption read: "Hell was only an Ocean Away"

I am so freaking stoked for this one!!!!!!!!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Just finished the making of feature on HBO.....

This is gonna be good. I am just trying to keep my feelings contained at this point.

It's not working that well.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
The making of show was fantastic. I can't wait for this to come out. These next two weeks are going to have a ton of good tv. The Pacific starts, on Sunday ESPN has the Reggie Miller vs the Knicks doc, then next Sunday Breaking Bad returns. Will be a good month.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Episode 1 complete.

The hour felt like 5 minutes.

I can't believe this might actually meet my expectations.

tap1on

Reaction score
Episode 1 complete.

The hour felt like 5 minutes.

I can't believe this might actually meet my expectations.
I gotta agree with you, it was really awsome.

For those who didn't watch it I really recommend them to head over to watchpacificonline .net to watch it online for free.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it to be sure. But so far it just doesn't have that "it" factor that Band of Brothers had from the get go. The coming episodes look like they are promising though.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I liked it to be sure. But so far it just doesn't have that "it" factor that Band of Brothers had from the get go. The coming episodes look like they are promising though.

Agreed.... this first episode felt too fast... didn't develop the characters or story lines at all...
Hope future episodes are better!

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

This.

Look forward to the next one.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score

So far there isn't that main charismatic character to get involved with like Dick Winters in BofB. That's the main thing that's missing in Pacific, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a solid first hour and from what I've heard it really starts to narrow on a couple main characters by episode three and then the series just sky-rockets from there.

the greatest things about these mini-series is the small moments... the lone Japanese fighter being teased with gun-fire at the end before being put out of his misery. a very powerful moment in the show.

as to how it compares to BOB, I won't even begin to think about doing that. That miniseries is probably the greatest mini ever made (next to the original V of course!). Comparing anything to that is an exercise in futility IMO. Still tho, a really solid beginning to the show that I expect to get deeper and deeper as it goes on.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something I've been thinking about with this series starting...

As I've posted here before my dad was with the 101st on D-Day. But his heroes were the men who fought in the Pacific.

His best friend was in a Japanese POW camp. Another friend was in the Bataan Death March.

I can remember these men sitting our back yard when I was a kid. I would sit where I wasn't noticed and listen to these men talking about what they went through. It was horrendous. But they could actually find things to laugh about. Like the fact that one of them later married a Japanese woman and became a Buddhist.

My Dad, who was severely wounded and probably had his own stories, rarely contributed to the conversations. He'd just sit and listen as they talked about it 15 - 20 years later. Both of these men died before they hit 60.

In the 1980's my parents went to Corregidor. My mom said my dad didn't say a word the entire time they were there. He'd never talk about that trip with me. Even when he was old and starting talking a little bit about what he went through himself. He once said, "I was in the Airborne because I spoke German and volunteered. Those guys didn't ask for what they got."