The Official Phoenix Roadrunners Thread

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
The 'Runners, and hockey are back in downtown Phoenix! With the season just four days away, let's chat Roadrunner hockey.

MikeOnTheMic

Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, I am planning on going to the opener Saturday.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? I am a Coyotes fan and an NHL fan. How will this league compare? Who/what should I keep an eye out for??

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RoadRunners Inaugural "Blue-White" Game Set For Wednesday

Oct. 17, 2005

The Phoenix RoadRunners of the ECHL will host their first annual “Blue-White” Game at 6:30PM on Wednesday at the Alltel Ice Den in North Scottsdale. General admission is $5 and fans will receive a free RoadRunners T-shirt with the purchase of a ticket.

The RoadRunners current training camp roster will be split into two teams and play a full regulation game. Following the game, all RoadRunners players and coaches will sign autographs and take pictures.

All RoadRunners ticket packages for the 2005-06 season will be on sale at the Alltel Ice Den including season, half-season, nine-game packages, and flex plans. RoadRunners merchandise will also be available for purchase.

Tickets can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (480) 784-4444 or online at Ticketmaster.com. A limited number of tickets will also be available at the Alltel Ice Den.

The Alltel Ice Den is located at 9375 East Bell Road in North Scottsdale.

The Phoenix RoadRunners make their way back to the ice at 6PM on Friday, October 21 as they battle the Utah Grizzlies at the E-Center in West Valley City, Utah. Catch all the action and every game in 2005-06 on KFNX News-Talk Radio 1100AM.

RoadRunners professional hockey returns to downtown Phoenix at 7PM on Saturday, October 22 when the Utah Grizzlies visit America West Arena for Opening Night 2005. Season and individual tickets for all 36 home games are on sale now. For more information or to find out how you can order tickets, call (602) 462-GOAL or visit www.phxroadrunners.com.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After winning 4-2 in Utah the night before, the Roadrunners came home and started right where they left off...until they fell too far behind. End result: A 5-4 loss, but still a great time. Good to have Roadrunners hockey back.

We went with our friends that we met during the Mesa Miners games.

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what happened at 4:13 of the third in Saturday 22nd October's game with Utah when two Utah players got fighting majors and no-one from Phoenix did. Did they both jump someone (and if o who??) or was there a fight there and the boxscore is messed up.

Thanks in advance.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
MikeOnTheMic said:

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? I am a Coyotes fan and an NHL fan. How will this league compare? Who/what should I keep an eye out for??

I'm going on Saturday, too. I can't tell from their site who they are affiliated with, though. :confused:

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
MikeOnTheMic said:

Comparitively, you're looking at a difference of attending a Diamondbacks game against a Sidewinder game.

Point is, the action is still enjoyable at the 'Winder games, and cheaper to boot, but the talent levels are different.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CatatonicMoose said:
Can someone tell me what happened at 4:13 of the third in Saturday 22nd October's game with Utah when two Utah players got fighting majors and no-one from Phoenix did. Did they both jump someone (and if o who??) or was there a fight there and the boxscore is messed up.

Thanks in advance.

Just caught this.

It was likely a screw-up in the boxscore. If it was done by the same guy who operated the scoreboard, it wouldn't be a big surprise. Maybe it was first night jitters, but the board once showed that we had no SOG's to Utah's 28 SOG's...in the 6th period. :D

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Ill be going Saturday, Im looking forward to seeing my first Roadrunners game in 10 years or so. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Looks like Ill be going Saturday, Im looking forward to seeing my first Roadrunners game in 10 years or so. :thumbup:

Lucky, lucky, LUCKY..

Less than six months to go till I come home :(

Enjoy it bud :cheers:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did end up going Saturday, and had a good time. Seven bucks gets you pretty much any seat you want, but I dont think the ECHL Roadrunners are going to be here for long, considering the support. I certainly like the Coyotes games better, but this isnt a bad alternative, especially given the cost.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
I did end up going Saturday, and had a good time. Seven bucks gets you pretty much any seat you want, but I dont think the ECHL Roadrunners are going to be here for long, considering the support. I certainly like the Coyotes games better, but this isnt a bad alternative, especially given the cost.

Roughly how many would you say were in attendance?

Viggen

Reaction score
attendance saturday was about 4000 people. Good crowd and they were loud! 2 fights and almost 200 minutes in penalties will do that!

I'm going to the game tonight against Long Beach Ice Dogs. Can't beat the price at $7 for a ticket.

Also came across this when I was on the team website today. The team is auctioning the Phoenix Suns hockey jerseys worn 2 weeks ago. I want the Steve Nash jersey!

http://echlauction.at.edeal.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/User?id=phxrrECHL&wl=25470824&type=L

-Viggen

Last edited:

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How long will this team last at AWA drawing small crowds?

Didn't they say they needed to average 5,000 to break even?

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Crowds are gradually beginning to pick up. Last night, the Runners drew 5,622 in their 6-4 loss to Bakersfield.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Roadrunners respond as a team after losing Cory Pecker, who was loaned to Binghamton of the AHL.

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Snake said:
Crowds are gradually beginning to pick up. Last night, the Runners drew 5,622 in their 6-4 loss to Bakersfield.

I hope they get it figured out. They are still averaging about 3,800 per game (16th in the ECHL).

Hopefully Sarver, et al are willing to subsidize the Roadrunners to keep them going.

They need to continue to come up with promotions like they did for the game against the Condors to get the fans in the building.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final home game tonight. :thumbup:

It's been a tough season. Too many L's and not enough W's. :|

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member