The Official PAC-10 Tourney Thread..

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the refs in ASU/USC were the same ones who reffed USC/UCLA the night before. If you saw that game they did the same thing. USC got a big lead and UCLA started pressing and trapping and the refs just swallowed the whistles and allowed UCLA to get back into the game.

Had UCLA managed to get all the way back and win I'd have almost felt guilty with all the fouls the refs weren't calling.

ASU got the big lead and USC pressed and trapped the entire 2nd half, and ASU shot 4 FT's for the game, the first with 3:30 to go in the second half.

USC is a great defensive team but that was a bit ridiculous. Bob Wenzel doing the broadcast on tv even poked fun at it by saying how impressed he was with USC's ability to play such aggressive, physical defense, and not foul. He was being somewhat sarcastic. They did show the one replay of Harden getting fouled on a shot that Gibson contested without a call but in general they just ignored it.

I will say this, the last 2 drives by Harden were called correctly, the one that Gibson blocked was actually a charge on Harden, he ran over Hackett but they didn't call that either.

Gibson was amazing in this tournament, USC let him play a one man zone and let the other 4 guys overplay shooters which is why nobody could make 3's against them.

In the UCLA game they ignored Jrue and let his man help on other people(and he went 0-8), in the ASU game they ignored Abbott or Shipp.

Gotta hand it to USC they had to win it and did.