The Official Diamondbacks Offseason Thread

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
The on'y thing I'm not sure of is trading Bonifacio. He showed some signs that he might be a great 2nd basemen. He has amazing speed and would be a threat on the bases. I understand our outfield is loaded, so Gonzalez has to go anyways. But, we are offering a lot for Haren. I'm just wondering, then is Callaspo our future starter?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Ken Rosenthal:

This could be the week when the starting-pitching market begins to shake out.
The week when Japanese free-agent right-hander Hiroki Kuroda signs with the Mariners, Dodgers or Diamondbacks. The week when the Diamondbacks or Indians trade for A's right-hander Dan Haren.

The trade of Haren could happen first — and the Diamondbacks and Indians, two clubs deep in young talent, are in the best position to make a deal, according to major-league sources.

The Diamondbacks' offer for Haren is believed to include Class AAA outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, Class AAA second baseman Emilio Bonifacio and Class AA left-hander Brett Anderson, among others.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7548574

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Callaspo 867 OPS in AAA, Bonifacio 685 OPS in AA. Callaspo is closer to the majors and has proven more so that he can hit over Bonifacio. If I have to chose between the two in a package, I send Bonifacio.

Sounds good, the A's aren't even asking for Callaspo. He's a decent talent but not the future

He was on track until he beat the crap out of his wife.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Yeah, but Bonifacio looks like a nice young prospect. We don't know what Callaspo's future brings in terms of legal trouble. Hopefully he puts that aside. He is a good talent, hopefully he can develop into a nice player. If I'm correct, Hudson can leave after the season?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not liking that we offered more money to Kurudo even though it doesn't look like he'd pick us anyways. It also shows that our talks for Haren our further off than we think. Why would we up our offer to an unknown commodity when we can trade 3 prospects for Haren? The asking price for Haren must be higher than we think.

I know one thing- I don't want anything to do with Kurudo and his potential $30+ million dollar contract

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not liking that we offered more money to Kurudo even though it doesn't look like he'd pick us anyways. It also shows that our talks for Haren our further off than we think. Why would we up our offer to an unknown commodity when we can trade 3 prospects for Haren? The asking price for Haren must be higher than we think.

I know one thing- I don't want anything to do with Kurudo and his potential $30+ million dollar contract

Looks like Byrnes is realizing we might be giving up too much for Haren. I just took a look at our Top 10 minor league prospects am in awe that Jarrod Parker is #2 on the list when he hasn't played a game yet. But our projected '11 lineup looks sick. I would sign Clement, Benson, Freddy Garcia or someone for a year. We got to the NLCS with our team, replace Livan and move forward. If there is a SP out there we can get for Gonzalez maybe Mark Prior so be it but now I want to keep all our pitching prospects especially Anderson.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds good, the A's aren't even asking for Callaspo. He's a decent talent but not the future

He was on track until he beat the crap out of his wife.

I heard from someone inside the Diamondbacks that Callaspo likes to party a lot more than normal.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Looks like Byrnes is realizing we might be giving up too much for Haren. I just took a look at our Top 10 minor league prospects am in awe that Jarrod Parker is #2 on the list when he hasn't played a game yet. But our projected '11 lineup looks sick. I would sign Clement, Benson, Freddy Garcia or someone for a year. We got to the NLCS with our team, replace Livan and move forward. If there is a SP out there we can get for Gonzalez maybe Mark Prior so be it but now I want to keep all our pitching prospects especially Anderson.

I want nothing to do with Benson unless it means Anna holding up her end of the guarantee, in which case I will take Benson to every swanky strip club between here and Vegas.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Garcia and Clement would only be ideal as a last resort.

As for trading CarGo for Prior? No way, no how. At this point, I'd trade a mid level prospect at BEST for Prior. Too many issues with him to invest a highly coveted prospect for. He's more on the low risk, high reward scale.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Thinking about it now, maybe giving up all those prospects isn't worth it. I think we sign a veteran, maybe not the best, but the best we can find. Let our youngsters develop. We will have a scary team in a few years, if our team right now isn't good enough.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The D-backs continue to talk to the A's about a deal involving Oakland ace Dan Haren, but a report earlier this week that the club was waiting to hear back on an offer appears to have been premature. Byrnes would not discuss the Haren deal in particular, but said he was still actively working the phones.
"The week after the Winter Meetings a lot of trade ideas are either close to happening or close to going away," Byrnes said.
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...t_id=2324397&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks were not eligible for pick compensation for Clark.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why was that? If you could explain.
Its kind of a complicated system but here is a pretty good explanation of it. http://soxprospects.wikispaces.com/MLB+Compensatory+Draft+Pick+System

Essentially, Clark wasn't high enough on the Elias ratings for the Diamondbacks to be eligible for compensation. Its a pretty silly system if you ask me though, given what compensation some guys are worth though (Michael Barret a type A, Ron Mahay a type B) but they aren't quite as bad as a couple years ago.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I know how the rating system and picks work. I was confused, because I assumed Clark would atleast rate a Type B or C.

dbacksfan01

Reaction score
Thinking about it now, maybe giving up all those prospects isn't worth it. I think we sign a veteran, maybe not the best, but the best we can find. Let our youngsters develop. We will have a scary team in a few years, if our team right now isn't good enough.
IDK scXfreakX...

There was only one of those prospects that I felt highly about and that was Carlos. The rest, I did not really care about and were well worth departing with for a front line starter like Danny Haren. Plus, even though Carlos was a top of the line prospect he was blocked by Upton and Byrnes. The only thing that scares me about Haren is his tendency to give up homeruns and he will now be pitching in hitters park where the ball travels more then it did in Oakland. Though the counter to that is he will be facing weaker N.L. lineups.

Over all I think it was a good trade and we now have one of the best 1-2 punches in the league.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The only thing that scares me about Haren is his tendency to give up homeruns and he will now be pitching in hitters park where the ball travels more then it did in Oakland.

Curt Schilling was Part II (Part I in the World Series 1-4-7) of the premiere 1-2 punch. And he gave up alot of homeruns.

But he had a knack of giving up mostly solo HR's, and bearing down with runners on base.

Hopefully, Haren can do the same.