The official Deadwood thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the ending was fitting and wrapped it up nicely.

Hearst won. It was brutally clear that they were powerless to stop him legitimately, and that in the times they lived in, without the legitimate, the violent action wouldn't have done them any good. Hearst wins, gets Garrett's mines, and rides out of town. The camp lives on and eventually becomes part of a state. What resolution is lacking?

It was like the end of Rome...people complained about that. Uh, gee, it ended with the Pax Romana, the Peace of Rome, which lasted for somewhere around 40 years!

We must have been watching 2 different shows. There was lots to resolve. Also, there was nothing "neat" about how they wrap it up. All season long they were building Hearst up to be a character that didn't walk away or put up with people in his way. Then all of the sudden, here is what you want..thank you and goodbye? Bah.......

Plus the look on his face was "I'll be back" minus the cyborg endoskeleton. Obviously, the writers and producers agreed since they wanted 2 movies to wrap up story lines.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We must have been watching 2 different shows. There was lots to resolve. Also, there was nothing "neat" about how they wrap it up. All season long they were building Hearst up to be a character that didn't walk away or put up with people in his way. Then all of the sudden, here is what you want..thank you and goodbye? Bah.......

Plus the look on his face was "I'll be back" minus the cyborg endoskeleton. Obviously, the writers and producers agreed since they wanted 2 movies to wrap up story lines.

Listen, I would have loved to get more, and I'm sure the writers and producers wanted more. My point is that Hearst DID get what he wanted. He got the Garrett claim, he fixed the elections, and he eliminated everyone that he couldn't stand from power. The gold was under control and being mined, and there was a new stake to go exploit. Why stay?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen, I would have loved to get more, and I'm sure the writers and producers wanted more. My point is that Hearst DID get what he wanted. He got the Garrett claim, he fixed the elections, and he eliminated everyone that he couldn't stand from power. The gold was under control and being mined, and there was a new stake to go exploit. Why stay?

Because even in his own words he wanted to camp to burn or be crushed. Not to mention that he had a reputation for doing away with people who got in his way. Honestly, you can't paint him one way then have him do something else and expect to be satisfied.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Because even in his own words he wanted to camp to burn or be crushed. Not to mention that he had a reputation for doing away with people who got in his way. Honestly, you can't paint him one way then have him do something else and expect to be satisfied.

This is what I was disappointed in. The camp of Deadwood burned to the ground 3 times. What better way to end the season than have Hearst (after giving his "I grow tired to this place" rant) have his men start a fire and leave the camp in disarray as it burns? There was even some potential foreshadowing with it earlier in the season when one of the characters asked for the camp's first fire wagon.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yep - i believe swearengen eventually abandoned camp because of fires so that would stay consistent with their loose tie ins with history

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No way. That would have ruined this show for me. Hearst was never, ever like this in real life. He didn't mind all the violence and such in his name at all, but he didn't take a personal hand in it. The show took that part of history and dramatized it, however, and did a great job with it. If they suddenly took the leap to Hearst being the entity responsible for the camp burning, well, that would just be too much. There's poetic license, and then there's jumping the shark.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Recently finished up the series. Swearengen has got to go down as one of the best HBO characters ever. Should make a great Blackbeard in the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Holy crap, what a great episode, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

That fight was certainly not something you'll see on network television, that much is certain. What Dan ended up doing to the guy was unbelievable. I was speechless at how brutal that was. And they showed it!

Previews for next week look really good. If it wasn't implied, it certainly will be out in the open regarding Swearengen and Bullock's teaming up together vs. Hearst and maybe Tolliver.

That fight was gruesome. I felt a little sick to my stomach there near the end.

I finished up the series in the summer. It was great, but you should be warned about the ending. There is no resolution due to the series getting canceled. It ends with a season finale that leaves a lot open. It was a let down for me because I was so engrossed in the story-line. Just keep that in mind.

Yeah, it definitely left me wanting more. Sheesh.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was all just lost on me. Lasted 20 minutes. Would rather watch Sopranos again.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen a terrible show earn 7 Emmy wins and 22 Nominations. Yep...makes sense. :doi:

I will give you Mcshane, but ya, I thought the cast in general was made up of terrible actors. Maybe it was the thick stodgy dialogue. What can I tell ya.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It was all just lost on me. Lasted 20 minutes. Would rather watch Sopranos again.

So, you never made it through the first episode?
:shrug:

There's a little thing called character development, ya know.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will give you Mcshane, but ya, I thought the cast in general was made up of terrible actors. Maybe it was the thick stodgy dialogue. What can I tell ya.

Not much because too many people disagree with you.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you never made it through the first episode?
:shrug:

There's a little thing called character development, ya know.

Haha. Ya, they probably did get rid of the dopes in the first ep who were so bad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard