The official Deadwood thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Louis said:
The Earps are coming to town.

Wyatt and Morgan. I half expected to see Kurt Russell and Bill Paxton.

If the end result is anything like real life, according to Bullock's biography at wikipedia.org, Bullock will run'em outta town.

Nice spoiler there... :rolleyes:

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good episode. I'm glad that old actor dude passed on I was getting annoyed with that whole drawn out ordeal. Earps don't look like they are doing to well. I like how the telegraph guy is always following the newspaper guy around. Are they wanting BJ's? laffs

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
NMCard said:
Good episode. I'm glad that old actor dude passed on I was getting annoyed with that whole drawn out ordeal. Earps don't look like they are doing to well. I like how the telegraph guy is always following the newspaper guy around. Are they wanting BJ's? laffs

Next week's previews look good. I want to see Swearengen defend Merrick (the newspaper guy) because it looks like Merrick gets the beat down put on him.

And I just have to say that Bullock is a bad ass.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
And I just have to say that Bullock is a bad ass.

Yes!
I was also nice to see Steve the drunk get what he deserved. Is Richardson smarter than he is letting on?

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
WTF!!!!!

In so many ways this was a great episode but as a season ender/series ender?
I feel like I just kissed my grandmother.

Where do they take this in the two hour finale they plan.

Very disappointing.

Idahawk

Reaction score
I was let down...for weeks it seemed to be building for a huge battle , then nothing happened...I guess we take from it that the camp is getting civilized ?

Maybe Hurst will be returning next season.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Idahawk said:
I was let down...for weeks it seemed to be building for a huge battle , then nothing happened...I guess we take from it that the camp is getting civilized ?

Maybe Hurst will be returning next season.

There is no next season only a two hour episode to close out the series.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
O said:
There is no next season only a two hour episode to close out the series.

That's not correct. It's going to be 2 2-hour movies, so it will be a 4-hour finale.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Finally saw the finale last night. The first half was terrific, the 2nd half a little slow. But a lot of things happened:

1) Trixie finally accepted Sol
2) Hearst left the camp
3) Al actually did what I thought he might not do, just to placate Hearst
4) Johnny stood up to Al (HUGE development IMO)
5) If there was any confusion about Jane and Joanie's relationship, there isn't now
6) Alma selling her gold claim to Hearst
7) EB going nuts about Hearst
8) Charlie Utter once again proving to be the voice of the audience (has been since Season 1 and was actually called that by Timothy Olyphant and Ian McShane in a commentary from the finale of the first season) -- Charlie is definitely one of my favorite characters
9) And, oh yeah, the elections (although we don't know the final outcome yet)

That's A LOT of information, even though Mrs. Bullock was barely in the episode and Doc Cochran wasn't in it at all.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i liked it - the build up to the battle was great, but imo, the battle itself could only of been anti-climatic - there are still tons of tensions left that will get wrapped up and keep the camp moving

I agree with Chap about all the developments

all in all a great season and I'm really going to miss this program

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I finished up season one. Great stuff.
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f***ing want to do. Many times, that's what the f*** life is... one vile f***ing task after another.”
—Swearengen

“This is God's purpose, but not knowing the purpose is my portion of suffering."
"If this is His will, He is a son of a bitch.”
—Rev. Smith & Doc Cochran

“I'd do well in a camp or settlement or township, but that don't make me a camp or settlement or township type.”
—Charlie Utter

“I've seen some stupid f***ing outfits in my time, but that one takes the prize.”
—Jane, to a dressed-up Utter.

“I'm declaring myself conductor of this meeting as I have the bribe sheet.”
—Swearengen

“I only raised my hand because I didn't want to be sheriff.”
—Seth Bullock

“How horrifying!”
—Alma, upon learning of Farnum's being appointed mayor.

EB has some great lines too.

Last night's episode was freaking hilarious.

When Al & Woo are trying to talk - CS! CS! CS! :biglaugh:

Side question: are pigs really known to eat anything and/or everything (including people and bones)?

Betw this show & Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter), these are the only times I've seen this...

I love those conversations.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I finished up season one. Great stuff.

I finished up the series in the summer. It was great, but you should be warned about the ending. There is no resolution due to the series getting canceled. It ends with a season finale that leaves a lot open. It was a let down for me because I was so engrossed in the story-line. Just keep that in mind.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have HBO so I missed this series. I am watching it now on Direct TV 101 network. I can't believe how awesome this show is. I am at the part right now where the "working girls" just got murdered and Bullock knocked up the poor widow. :).

I am going to have to go back and watch the entire series. HBO should do an HBO movie to wrap things up it sounds like.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've said it before: This show has the best first 4 episodes of any show. EVER. If you're not hooked by that famous death at the end of episode 4, then there's something wrong with you.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I finished up the series in the summer. It was great, but you should be warned about the ending. There is no resolution due to the series getting canceled. It ends with a season finale that leaves a lot open. It was a let down for me because I was so engrossed in the story-line. Just keep that in mind.

I disagree.

It tapered off, yes, but I did sense an ending. Basically, Hearst represents progress and change, the arrival of civilization (with all the evils that it entails). Basically, the camp and the prominent citizens of the camp realize that they no longer have the power that they used to. Hearst won, and progress will now happen.

I agree that more could and should have been done, but at least we didn't have a cliffhanger.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK, I have to agree with Folster here. First off let me start off by saying what a great freaking series. I missed it the first time out. Great stories and great acting. Simply loved this show.

Having said that, I was really pissed how it ended. The final show was a resounding THUD. :thud:

Not because it was a bad episode but because it literally felt like they either knew the end was coming and didn't have enough time to have a great ending or because they fully intended on another season.

I don't know which but it definitely feels that way. Thanks a lot for those that turned me on to this series. Now I have another series under my belt that I am pissed off and need some closure. lol.

I have read all over the place a Deadwood movie is completely dead but......we really need one IMO.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OK, I have to agree with Folster here. First off let me start off by saying what a great freaking series. I missed it the first time out. Great stories and great acting. Simply loved this show.

Having said that, I was really pissed how it ended. The final show was a resounding THUD. :thud:

Not because it was a bad episode but because it lietterally felt like they either knew the end was coming and didn't have enough time to have a great ending or because they fully intended on another season.

I don't know which but it definitely feels that way. Thanks a lot for those that turned me on to this series. Now I have another series under my belt that I am pissed off and need some closure. lol.

I have read all over the place a Deadwood movie is completely dead but......we really need one IMO.

There were supposed to be 2 movies, not just one. As for closure, did you watch Carnivale? Deadwood had MUCH more closure than Carnivale did, so it lessens the anger about Deadwood. And the funny thing is, Carnivale had the worst cliffhanger to end a series ever, and yet the episode itself was pretty awesome.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
for those with the 101 they just restarted the series again and it's worth watching even if it didn't get the ending it deserved

Stout

Reaction score
I thought the ending was fitting and wrapped it up nicely.

Hearst won. It was brutally clear that they were powerless to stop him legitimately, and that in the times they lived in, without the legitimate, the violent action wouldn't have done them any good. Hearst wins, gets Garrett's mines, and rides out of town. The camp lives on and eventually becomes part of a state. What resolution is lacking?

It was like the end of Rome...people complained about that. Uh, gee, it ended with the Pax Romana, the Peace of Rome, which lasted for somewhere around 40 years!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought the ending was fitting and wrapped it up nicely.

Hearst won. It was brutally clear that they were powerless to stop him legitimately, and that in the times they lived in, without the legitimate, the violent action wouldn't have done them any good. Hearst wins, gets Garrett's mines, and rides out of town. The camp lives on and eventually becomes part of a state. What resolution is lacking?

It was like the end of Rome...people complained about that. Uh, gee, it ended with the Pax Romana, the Peace of Rome, which lasted for somewhere around 40 years!

What about the characters? You are claiming that the resolutions of both those shows were political and wrapped up nicely. But the shows weren't about the camp living on or the Pax Romana, it was about Swearengen and Bullock, and about Vorenus and Pullo.

Stout

Reaction score
What about the characters? You are claiming that the resolutions of both those shows were political and wrapped up nicely. But the shows weren't about the camp living on or the Pax Romana, it was about Swearengen and Bullock, and about Vorenus and Pullo.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE SHOW, DON'T READ ON

Okay, but even given that pretty bad misinterpretation (they were major characters but not the whole show), they still both wrapped up. Law was coming and Swearengen and Bullock got squeezed out. Bullock lives on as a hardware man and Swearengen has his joint; they both lose the power they had. Life goes on.

Vorenus dies, Pullo walks off with his son. The end. Duh!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson