Zellalem (sp?)
Johannsen
Fabian
Yedlin
Brooks
Mix
Luis Gil
Boyd

Bradley will be 30. Geoff Cameron will be 32. Guzan 33.

God I hope they can all develop.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Altidore will only be 28, it just doesn't seem that way because he's been around forever.

I guess nobody is quite sure if Zelalem was able to complete the citizenship process, but the outlook was positive.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Joe Corona
Brek Shea
Eric Palmer-Brown

If there is young talent out there, Jurgen will find it. Here, or in a 50-mile radius of Cold War military bases overseas.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bradley should be back. We should have a decent keeper. Yedlin at RB, letting Fabian Johnson to move to midfield. Besler and Gonzalez. Altidore, Johanson (sp?). I'm crossing my fingers that Jones can make it back, but he'll be really old. Still, he might be one guy that can pull it off. I don't want Cameron back, really, but he probably will be.

So far, I see these definite starters:

Howard/Guzan

Yedlin Gonzalez Besler ?????

Johnson Bradley ????? ?????

Altidore Johanson

Not sure how old Bedoya and Zusi are, but I hope we have better starting options in 4 years. They did okay, but aren't world-beaters--and we need world-beaters. Do we have any kind of LB options for the future? Beasley's just about done, not because of talent, but through age.

I don't know. In some ways, I have huge levels of optimism. In others, I wonder if we'll be able to get better than what we are now.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I liked Mix when I saw him in a couple of the friendlies.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Rewatching the games I'm convinced that all four teams game-planned around constant and immediate pressure on Bradley and Dempsey. And after Jozy went down, the USMNT played right into the opposition's tactics.

What is causing me to be more and more amazed is against 4 top national squads, they had no answer to our speed. The problems were: we didn't have enough of it, and without a target/holding striker there was no one to receive the service. Fabian Johnson was great as an overlapping option from the back. When DeMarcus committed to the counter-attack, he was electric. And Yedlin seemed almost unstoppable when he played. All pace guys.

Hopefully, we will see Jozy (reaching his peak) and another striker of his mold (Terence Boyd?) in case he is unable to take the pitch. I still like Aaron Johannsson, but they will need a plan B if Altidore needs replaced. Bring two target/holding central forwards, this time.

Until the Americans develop mids with top-class technical abilities, I think Jurgen and his coaches will look at this World Cup and realize that we can't beat top tier teams like Germany or Belgium, and will have problems with 2nd tier teams like Portugal and Ghana if we PLAY THEIR GAME. But by styling OUR GAME to a NBA fast-break, or NFL west-coast-offense...

Mix Diskerud could be perfect with speed options. He is a one or two touch type of playmaker. You will get turn-overs, but you will also catch opposing defenders slow to react. If Luis Gil, Gedion Zelalem and Joe Corona continue to improve as mids, it will be impossible to shut-down Bradley as easy as it was in this tournament. Julien Green, Brek Shea, Alejandro Bedoya and possibly Darlington Nagbe could produce the pace needed on the outside.

Combine that with DeAndre Yedlin to overlap on the right, allowing Fabian Johnson to move to the left side, they could have all the speed needed. With that more than taken care of, finding four or five guys with one v. one skills to anchor the back line becomes the big question mark.

In goal I would not be surprised to see Tim Howard just short of 40, and have always like Brad Guzan's fearlessness. Cody Cropper is good and teenager Zack Steffen is already being compared to Howard. Besides, we're American... we always have good net-minders.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Green
Zellalem (sp?)

Zelalem is German.

He was born and raised in Germany, he grew up playing for Hertha BSC youth academy, he only spent a few years in the USA but is not a US citizen and is not eligible to get US citizenship.
Also he plays in all German youth teams and his father said he wants his son to play for Germany.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question - how does FIFA determine the number of berths per federation? Given the good performance by Concacaf and the miserable performances by CAF and AFC, could CONCACAF get another berth?

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
Question - how does FIFA determine the number of berths per federation? Given the good performance by Concacaf and the miserable performances by CAF and AFC, could CONCACAF get another berth?

Like everything else, FIFA's 209 member congress proposes, investigates, discusses and votes on the matter. And who ever pays more in bribes, wins.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Logo Revealed

You must be registered for see images attach

Kang and Kodos approve.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members