THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Chris Wood is now a Magpie. Not a flashy signing, and a lot of money for him, but shrewd business. He knows how to score goals, is a good, physical focal point if you need to go direct, and it weakens a relegation rival. Plus, now the Mags have a healthy striker on the squad!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Wood is now a Magpie. Not a flashy signing, and a lot of money for him, but shrewd business. He knows how to score goals, is a good, physical focal point if you need to go direct, and it weakens a relegation rival. Plus, now the Mags have a healthy striker on the squad!
I really like him. I don't like the Trippier signing as much.

I think Wood will get you 4-5 goals.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I really like him. I don't like the Trippier signing as much.

I think Wood will get you 4-5 goals.
You don't understand quite how bad our defense has been. Had Rafa stayed, he could have organized these players well enough to stay up. By the time Cabbage Head got done with them, a non-defensive coach wasn't going to make anything of them. Trippier is easily our best defender x10. He also allows our 2nd-best fullback to move over to the left. Finally, we didn't have a good set-piece taker (Matt Ritchie hasn't been any good for a while), and Trippier is that.

His top-end is being one of the weaker pieces on a title team. We don't need that right now, though. We just need to survive.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Howe-way the lads! HUUUGE win with a gutsy performance from everyone involved. With 3 players, 2 of them defenders, going off injured, to then go on and snatch all 3 points is purely belter. Now there's a nice long layoff for players to rest up and train, and to get new faces in. Time to survive!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Sounds like Big Dan Burn on his way from Brighton to Newcastle for £13-16m. A good but ultimately expendable player for us for that price, and Burn grew up in the Northeast of England.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yep. Not a big-name signing, and Brighton didn't need him anymore, but we were desperate for a defender like that. Also brought in Guimaraes (sp?), looks like Targett too, maybe Diop (sp?), and possibly Etikike (sp?). What a difference money makes.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
The Mags look to be on the way now. Imagine if the PL hadn't done their best to utterly screw the team and passed the takeover before the summer? Oh well. So long as they survive, good times will come.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe Brighton DO miss Big Dan Burn. Won a game when they were clearly 2nd best and are now 8 undefeated. 7 points clear of the drop zone, and broke the BHA PL hoodoo. Life is good.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Safety all but assured now. I think that makes it 9 undefeated in a row. Probably won't reach 10, playing Chelski on a short week with lots of injury problems and exhaustion. Then again, Chelski are in tumult, so who knows.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Wow, cheated up one side and down the other. Newcastle absolutely won that game--or would have, if they weren't playing against 12. Actually, make that 13, as VAR were also criminally silent. Two red-card shouts, only one even going to VAR, and that clear one denied, with the man who should've been sent off early then scoring the winner. Then the ref and VAR both missing about as clear cut a penalty as you can have. All the neutral pundits are blasting the ref and VAR for it. Absolute rubbish. As far as I'm concerned, Newcastle is still undefeated in 10.

I know it sounds crazy, but it really, REALLY felt like they felt sorry for poor Chelski and absolutely railroaded Newcastle in the hopes of getting Chelski a feel-good win. Well done, asshats, you got your wish.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I can't believe we were up 11 men to 10, lost super late, and I'm not totally pissed. Our own damn fault, really. VAR gifted us a decision right when Everton were pressing to the point where they were going to score, making up (in part) for the ref's and VAR's howler against Chelsea. We just couldn't take advantage. Everton really wanted it, the fans were incredible, and they pretty much deserved the victory. Tip of the cap to them.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
And the beat goes on. Just matched a freaking Bobby Robson record from the early 2000s. No doubt in my mind--Eddie Howe should be the coach of the year. Nothing touches what he's done with this team.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
And the beat goes on. Just matched a freaking Bobby Robson record from the early 2000s. No doubt in my mind--Eddie Howe should be the coach of the year. Nothing touches what he's done with this team.
Very impressive to go from relegation zone to mid-table in half a season... Everton is definitely not out of the woods yet after Burnley's big win over Southampton.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Very impressive to go from relegation zone to mid-table in half a season... Everton is definitely not out of the woods yet after Burnley's big win over Southampton.
Hadn't seen that. Huge win. You made me go check, and yeah, Everton's only 1 point clear. Wow! I hadn't been following the bottom, because Newcastle are safe--almost completely mathematically safe, which is wild.

What else is wild is that Newcastle are 3rd place--3rd place!--in the 2022 form table. Hard to believe.

Your Brighton has taken some scalps recently too.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Hadn't seen that. Huge win. You made me go check, and yeah, Everton's only 1 point clear. Wow! I hadn't been following the bottom, because Newcastle are safe--almost completely mathematically safe, which is wild.

What else is wild is that Newcastle are 3rd place--3rd place!--in the 2022 form table. Hard to believe.

Your Brighton has taken some scalps recently too.

Got thumped by Man City, but that was expected. Some big wins before that though for sure. Just nice to not be sweating it out, right?!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Got thumped by Man City, but that was expected. Some big wins before that though for sure. Just nice to not be sweating it out, right?!
Absolutely. The Mags did lose 3 in a row, with the 3rd a 5-1 hiding at the hands of Tottenham, but it was at the end of an epic stretch of road games, so no biggie.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Another big win. Nice to be the one punishing relegation teams rather than BEING that team! Also, Newcastle are now #2 in the form table for 2022. Insane!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose