The New Corners

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right. So, like, nothing was his fault and he in fact isn't a concern moving forward? Weird how every single negative stance is a hill for you to die on.

Wilson is a big ? Maybe he can improve, or maybe he stays where he was to end the season. Keim is betting a lot on him. We'll see if the bet comes good.

I said he's not going to be worse than he was as a rookie. Early or late season. I didn't say he was going to be great. But he will be fine.

Happy to die on that hill.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Right. So, like, nothing was his fault and he in fact isn't a concern moving forward? Weird how every single negative stance is a hill for you to die on.

Wilson is a big ? Maybe he can improve, or maybe he stays where he was to end the season. Keim is betting a lot on him. We'll see if the bet comes good.
I don't know. I'd say that Keim has hedged his bets a little with the Mullen trade.

There are routes to go if Wilson sucks again, like bringing in Deionte Thompson at safety and shifting Jalen Thompson to corner.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know. I'd say that Keim has hedged his bets a little with the Mullen trade.

There are routes to go if Wilson sucks again, like bringing in Deionte Thompson at safety and shifting Jalen Thompson to corner.

How many 2nd year players who start their entire rookie season (bar a couple of games with injury) get worse in their 2nd year? It's got to be a low number. Especially when that first year wasn't great.

I'm not saying it's impossible. But on the balance of probabilities it's not likely.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How many 2nd year players who start their entire rookie season (bar a couple of games with injury) get worse in their 2nd year? It's got to be a low number. Especially when that first year wasn't great.

I'm not saying it's impossible. But on the balance of probabilities it's not likely.
I'd expect some improvement, but by years end, we need to see a lot of improvement from that player to see a guy that we actually want to play.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd expect some improvement, but by years end, we need to see a lot of improvement from that player to see a guy that we actually want to play.

Feels a bit harsh. Considering some of the tripe we have had at CB2 over the years.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Wilson, as many others last season, had a pre-injury, post-injury phase.

Some want to erase the pre-injury period from memory.
Also as a rookie the NFL grind is much longer then it is in college. I believe in the rookie wall and I believe Wilson hit it last year around week 10. I believe he'll be better this year.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Weird how he regressed at exactly the same time as the whole team regressed. Almost as if the whole team playing worse effected the rookie's performance...
Getting psyched out ruins more CBs than injury and technique. He showed signs of being intimidated in college. It’s not impossible to recover confidence, but it’s rare.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

The second year problems usually occur when a flaw is spotted in the player’s ability. NFL players are masters of exploiting weaknesses.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know we made 2 additions, but still very surprised we haven’t made a 3rd CB addition at this point. Being 1 week from the game I assume this is what we are rollin’ with and Kiem is hoping to get by until week 5/6/7 when a team may have thrown in the towel to fully rebuild - making a real quality vet available.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have two that we like, I'm guessing, Murphy and Mullen, to start the season. We get a 3rd CB in Week Five (Hamilton) and two that we hope, Wilson and Guidry, can do the job. Wilson should be better in his second year, while I'm not sure about Guidry. Mathew has the measureables (Sp?) to contribute on ST's. Also, possible we sign a vet after Week One.

JMO, but the sky isn't falling.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also as a rookie the NFL grind is much longer then it is in college. I believe in the rookie wall and I believe Wilson hit it last year around week 10. I believe he'll be better this year.
AMEN! This has been the case for many years, but especially since the NFL went beyond a 14 game regular season.

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
I just can’t believe how little we did to out together a pass rush AND a serviceable corner room.
If it's as bad as it appears - no pass rush and questionable corners - wow. Seems like pass rusher and corner are 2 of the top positions on defense. And a few injuries could result in one porous defense.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
How come most of our NFL players can’t do this regularly then?
I don’t know about regularly but I often see it, especially early in the season. With more experience as the season goes along, many flaws are corrected or someone else gets a chance to play. This is why you see guys who played 5 games as a rookie but rarely played thereafter.