The NBA is rigged

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know. I've heard them say it many times throughout this postseason. And I know the rules on what they can look at has changed but I'm just not sure to what extent. Can they only overcall if they see something that caused the foul to occur or can they look at all action during the play or possession?

I thought the referees could review action leading up to the play but after the last four games I don't know anymore.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It happened in one of the other games but I'm hazy on the details so I will leave it at that.

Yeah I remember it happening too. At the time the announcer was unaware that it could be done and from that moment on it seems like every announcer says the same thing every time there is a review.

But like you, I don't recall the specifics nor am I positive the announcer's initial interpretation of the referee explanation was entirely accurate. Maybe it was, I just don't know.

We know they can look at more than the foul, beyond that I have questions - most of those questions are due to the fact the announcers keep saying the officials can do it yet time and again we see the refs ignoring other fouls on the same play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Right. Think about a situation exactly like this, what if someone pushed Book into Beverley? Could they not call that foul because they are only reviewing the Beverley one, as JC is saying?

In this case, Book definitely charged Beverley, but they probably didn’t think there was enough to call anything on Jackson.

The reasoning Ouchie keeps using—Jackson’s hand was on his chest the whole way—actually defines what a foul is, so I’m not sure why he’s using that as justification of why it’s NOT a foul.
Huh? Are you saying I’m saying the charge wasn’t a foul? I’m not. I’m saying Booker was clearly fouled before the charge. And if I’m the announcers aren’t mistaken. They can use review to call other things, like they did with a technical from a previous possession against us in the nuggets series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actually that was one of the problems when they first started allowing challenges. It made for some awkward situations where they'd review a play, realize the challenger was technically correct and were forced by rule to change the call even though the challenging side was clearly in the wrong - or the player was out of bounds when it happened (those kind of things). Initially they were only allowed to review specific decisions or questions and they were allowed no leeway to consider anything else that occurred.

As for the hand on Booker's chest, maybe I read Ouchie wrong but I thought he was agreeing that there was a previous foul leading up to the offensive contact?
Correct.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They went back to a previous play on us in the Nuggets series. It was a wtf moment as well

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They went back to a previous play on us in the Nuggets series. It was a wtf moment as well
That was to give out a technical. Still BS, but it wasn't to change what happened in the game.

That being said Booker being fouled happened on this play so they should absolutely be able to determine that he was fouled before the charge.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this. Continuing to say it’s rigged after we got the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls tonight just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. The refs and league could have VERY easily swung this game to the Clippers if this was rigged.
Easily. It just take a string of foul calls and it’s over. The Clips had the worst shooting performance in 25 years in a situation where you could tie or move ahead. That also would have been the most opportunistic time to call fouls and get them to the free throw line.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Huh? Are you saying I’m saying the charge wasn’t a foul? I’m not. I’m saying Booker was clearly fouled before the charge. And if I’m the announcers aren’t mistaken. They can use review to call other things, like they did with a technical from a previous possession against us in the nuggets series.
Ok that makes sense. Your wording on the original post was what I was questioning.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This forum if it happened to a Sun’s player:

You must be registered for see images attach

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To be fair it has happened to Booker on almost every drive to the basket and he rarely gets an and one, even though he has been hacked repeatedly…

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To me, basketball has become so unwatchable, mostly because of the officiating, and the rule changes.

When I played (high school ball) the last person to touch the ball was who it was out on. When did they change that rule? Probably the same time they did away with traveling, carrying/palming the ball, etc. Much more, but I will get off my high horse now. :):soapbox:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually that was one of the problems when they first started allowing challenges. It made for some awkward situations where they'd review a play, realize the challenger was technically correct and were forced by rule to change the call even though the challenging side was clearly in the wrong - or the player was out of bounds when it happened (those kind of things). Initially they were only allowed to review specific decisions or questions and they were allowed no leeway to consider anything else that occurred.

As for the hand on Booker's chest, maybe I read Ouchie wrong but I thought he was agreeing that there was a previous foul leading up to the offensive contact?
I certainly don't know the answer on this--whether they could have called a completely different foul than the one being challenged--but I would be interested in knowing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there a difference between a ref initiated review and a team initiated review? The review rules mystify me at times.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seems like the Clippers have asked for a million reviews thus far. Trying to think of one the Suns have asked for.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, basketball has become so unwatchable, mostly because of the officiating, and the rule changes.

When I played (high school ball) the last person to touch the ball was who it was out on. When did they change that rule? Probably the same time they did away with traveling, carrying/palming the ball, etc. Much more, but I will get off my high horse now. :):soapbox:

A lot of times on video replay when the defensive player knocks the ball off of the offensive player's hand out of bounds the offensive player is the last one to touch the ball.

It's become a thing as it happens frequently in the technical sense. The eye doesn't catch it in real time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Although I love the War Games reference, this just isn't accurate. Was it a blown call? Absolutely. And there's no excuse for it, where the hell were the refs looking if not right at it?

But this comes across as if we march in protest on each blown call and that we're the only team that feels persecuted at times, we don't and we aren't. Read the board of any sports team and you'll see the same kind of reactions. A few special teams have far less reason to complain about the officiating than we do and even they rant about the officials with great regularity.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Although I love the War Games reference, this just isn't accurate. Was it a blown call? Absolutely. And there's no excuse for it, where the hell were the refs looking if not right at it?

But this comes across as if we march in protest on each blown call and that we're the only team that feels persecuted at times, we don't and we aren't. Read the board of any sports team and you'll see the same kind of reactions. A few special teams have far less reason to complain about the officiating than we do and even they rant about the officials with great regularity.
We also don’t tend to get defensive and try to argue against obviously blown calls that go our way. We recognize and acknowledge them.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A Milwaukee-Phoenix finals series would be about as much proof as anyone could want that the NBA is not rigged.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A Milwaukee-Phoenix finals series would be about as much proof as anyone could want that the NBA is not rigged.
With Phoenix being the 10th Largest market in the USA and Atlanta being the 9th Largest market in the United States...I'd assume the NBA would be okay with that. Unfortunately Trae Youngs injury most likely puts a small market team in the Finals against potentially Phoenix. Could Trae Youngs injury be the catalyst for the league to "rig" the Western Conference Finals starting tonight to get that team from LA in??? Ha-ha...who knows...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yes and no. they're definitely not sexy big markets. But that matchup does have the most superstars/healthy teams still playing and will probably make for a very exciting series where word of mouth could spread and gain viewers every game if it goes long.

but yeah... it ain't optimal for sure.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose