The most bone headed coaching decision

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Patriots vs. Colts... Patriots to go for it on 4th down from THEIR 30 YARD line with game on the line up by 6 points with 2:00 min to go!!! Wow

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea that was beyond rediculous!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe i saw that. Probably the dumbest call in an NFL game EVER.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure the conventional wisdom is to punt, but if they had converted that play (which they make actually have done) Belichick would be called a "genius". Is it really that good of an idea to punt to Colts/Peyton Manning with two minutes left?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Cards win today and are 6-3, and the Pats lose like the Cards used to by leaving points on the field and boneheaded coaching decisions. I LOVE IT! That just goes to show the arrogance of Belichick. Awesome. My buddy is a Pats fan and I just IMed him. He is sick to his stomach I imagine he feels like we have all felt after the Bears meltdown.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure the conventional wisdom is to punt, but if they had converted that play (which they make actually have done) Belichick would be called a "genius". Is it really that good of an idea to punt to Colts/Peyton Manning with two minutes left?
That was an extremely stupid call no matter the outcome. Even if they got it, it was stupid.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure the conventional wisdom is to punt, but if they had converted that play (which they make actually have done) Belichick would be called a "genius". Is it really that good of an idea to punt to Peyton Manning with two minutes left?

Another 25 yards or so downfield and I agree with that. But, inside your own30? You just saw why you can't do that.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If it had worked, it would have been an incredibly gutsy, stupid and lucky call. By no means would it have been genius.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The Cards win today and are 6-3, and the Pats lose like the Cards used to by leaving points on the field and boneheaded coaching decisions. I LOVE IT! That just goes to show the arrogance of Belichick. Awesome. My buddy is a Pats fan and I just IMed him. He is sick to his stomach I imagine he feels like we have all felt after the Bears meltdown.

The head coaches stupidity trumps our meltdown against the Bears

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone see the Pats assistant with Belichick knock/throw the cameraman to the ground while they were leaving the field pouting? EXACTLY why I hate this team and every person who plays on it. They are a bunch of classless poor sport babies. So happy to see Belichecks pompus arrogance cost him again.

Last edited:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did anyone see the Pats assistant with Belichick knock/throw the cameraman to the ground while they were leaving the field pouting? EXACTLY why I hate this team and every person who plays on it. They are a bunch of classless poor sport babies. So happy to see Belichecks pompus arrogance cost him again.

Yep, I was disgusted to see that. Belichick is one of, if not the, greatest coaches in NFL history.

But... He is also a horse's ass of a human being.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Huh??? Even if they had converted, it would still be the dumbest call ever. The Colts did not have timeouts, punt the ball and make them drive down the field...

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Huh??? The Colts did not have timeouts, punt the ball and make them drive down the field...

Almost sounds like something I saw today from another team that keep throwing the ball with 3 minutes left, up by 11

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Wow.

I went to bed last night thinking "this game is over" and I wake up and the Colts win.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
I look at it differently.

This goes to show how great Peyton Manning is. Belichek was so afraid to give him the ball with 80 yards to go, that he went for it to keep it out of his hands. And from that perspective, I can't blame him.

Basically, Manning won the game just by BEING THERE. The man is simply amazing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at it differently.

This goes to show how great Peyton Manning is. Belichek was so afraid to give him the ball with 80 yards to go, that he went for it to keep it out of his hands. And from that perspective, I can't blame him.

Basically, Manning won the game just by BEING THERE. The man is simply amazing.

Exactly. Manning scores anyway with 2 minutes to go.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
It was a very smart call. The man is a genious for one reason, namely playing the game in statistically rigorous way. That has brought him superbowls. If he didn't had his statistics correct, he wouldn't have had a job by now. He does, it's like a pokergame in many ways.

1) One option is to punt the ball away. Give the ball to Manning that is one of the best QB's ever in 2 minute situations. He has been killing the Pats defense in second half. Complete momentum. What is the chance in % that he would have gone down and scored that TD even with a decent/good punt? I think it's quiet big altough i can't say any numbers here offcourse. It felt to be pretty big, no matter if it's Patriots 40 yard line or colts 20 yard line. With 2 minutes left, 30 yards difference is nothing for Manning, its one or two throws, maybe 30 seconds for him. If there was less than a minute left on the clock and Manning couldn't use his genious 2 minute offense, then yes, punt would then be by far the best. No doubt.

2) Patriots have also been dominating Colts defense. If he converts this down for only two yards, chances the Pats win this game are HUGE. First they can run the clock off and punt the ball where Manning can't have those 2 minutes to make his drive work... Then he only has a minute or less...Or even better, they have the chance to make a new first down and put the game away. One thing is clear: Making that play for first down, means Patriots will win that game 99 times out of 100. With about minute left and deep in own half you can't run your usual 2 minute offense and you will not make that TD, most likely you will need to force the ball downfield and not even Manning can do that. What is the chance of converting that 4th down? Pats have been dominating their defense much of the game so i guess the chance was quiet good a such short yardage situation, probably well over the 50 %. And they maybe even made it... Seems that he was over the 1st down marker, it was a tough call for refs.

So to summerize, you can punt it and the chance you survive Manning's 2 minute offese is LOW, or you can go for it and you have over 50 % chance in making the down and winning the game. I think BB felt the chances were alot bigger in going for it..

It's what it comes down to. The good call was to go for it, statistically. But it's scary and when you don't make it, people and fans may be angry.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know why so many people are knocking the decision..
How many times have you watched Manning down by 7 or less.. with anything more than a minute on the clock, and he doesn't score?

He just played the odds.. The chance of converting it statistically, has to be far greater than Manning not scoring.

I personally applauded the decision at the time, and fwiw.. I hate Belicheat.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
^Agree it was kinda the thing to do as Manning was lighting up their D all 4th qtr so either put the ball in Bradys hands and let them try to convert or give it back to Manning knowing you can't stop him! And if you don't make it since they are close if they score you may at least have some time left to drive for a FG, which Brady has done how many times? I just think it was a bold decision that didn't work out, but the right one imo!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard