The Last Ship

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, I gave it a shot. A kind of 'meh' pilot with at least a decent premise, this show just isn't any good. When your script turns Adam Baldwin into a lousy actor, you're doing something wrong. I made it about 45 minutes through the 2nd episode, but that's as far as I could go. It's like Under the Dome, but not funny.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ohhh man. I watched the first episode and I thought it had potential. Have not watched the second episode as of yet. By the way...Adam Baldwin usually plays the same character. It's not like he has a ton of range.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's as bad as Under the Dome. I did think the stuff in the 2nd episode with the Al Qaeda guys was pretty poorly done. You get used to the bad guys always missing but this got ridiculous they were literally unseen behind the good guys with high powered weapons missing and then the good guy turns around and picks them off.

The premise is interesting although it's sort of a "The Stand" ripoff mixed in with Outbreak.

So far my biggest problem is the 2nd researcher guy, I won't spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet but the twist there is ridiculous.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still interested. I am caught up now and I think it's a decent show. However, this has to be an expensive show. They are blowing a ton of things up every episode.

Did you guys happen to catch Wil Wheaton Project? They made fun of that fact. LOL.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am still interested. I am caught up now and I think it's a decent show. However, this has to be an expensive show. They are blowing a ton of things up every episode.

Did you guys happen to catch Wil Wheaton Project? They made fun of that fact. LOL.

The Navy absolutely LOVES it when the entertainment industry uses their stuff, it's like free recruiting, and in a lot of cases, the productions pay THEM to use their stuff. It's a win-win situation for the Navy. Only time it wouldn't be is in a time of war.

Years ago I had a good friend who was in the Navy, in the PR area of the service, and he headed up "Hollywood in the Navy", where people in the entertainment industry would get free tours of some naval vessels. I did it several times and was able to go on board a battleship, a nuclear submarine and the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier. It was very cool and very serious, they are constantly trying to convince the industry to film using Naval vessels.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
As a Navy veteran the inaccuracies are driving me insane. Other than that it's kinda fun.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
This one fell to the dreaded plot holes to me. It's a naval destroyer, thus it wouldn't have a ton of ammunition, and it's the end of the world--so let's hold ammunition-wasting live fire exercises! Oh wait, I know, let's use our store of chem sticks to hold a candlelight vigil! Stupid captain.

Oh, we're hardened mercenary military contractors left in charge of Al Qaida prisoners. We didn't kill them out of hand like we really would--no, we got softhearted and just let them go.

To mention a few of the glaring problems.

Not as eye-rollingly bad as Under the Dome, but not good either.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is bad. I turned the last episode off. Same with Falling Skies. At least I DVRed them and was able to fast forward my way through. Done with both of them.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's entertaining. I am willing to stick it out to see where it goes for a bit.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The premise had potential, but the writing would have had to be top notch to get a season's worth of episodes out of it. Unfortunately, the episodes leave you questioning if everybody involved in the production of this show is on drugs. Some shows are so bad that they are funny, but this series is just moronic.

Every episode seems to sink lower. One week we have people jumping into the bay after aiming their inflatable boat at the Russian vessel only to be picked up in the middle of the ocean. The next week we are pulling a 9000 ton destroyer with three parachutes. :bang:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching it myself and I'm highly critical of crappy shows...somehow, it's kept me hooked for now. It's not awesome for sure, but it's slightly above average so I'm stuck :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching it myself and I'm highly critical of crappy shows...somehow, it's kept me hooked for now. It's not awesome for sure, but it's slightly above average so I'm stuck :)

That's sort of my take as well Mike. I am just entertained for some reason and enjoying it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI. It's been picked up for next season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Anyone still watching this? Pretty great this 2nd season--while probably not that realistic, it's got enough intrigue and action to be a pretty entertaining distraction.

But I don't care about the realism in the show--I just like seeing Navy Seals stab people with forks and hit over the head with meat tenderizers.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone still watching this? Pretty great this 2nd season--while probably not that realistic, it's got enough intrigue and action to be a pretty entertaining distraction.

But I don't care about the realism in the show--I just like seeing Navy Seals stab people with forks and hit over the head with meat tenderizers.

It's on my DVR. The first season was OK. Not really that excited about it but figured I would catch up as soon as I get some other stuff watched on the DVR.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Ohhh man. I watched the first episode and I thought it had potential. Have not watched the second episode as of yet. By the way...Adam Baldwin usually plays the same character. It's not like he has a ton of range.

Yeah, but when the script makes that same character bad, you have issues lol

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm with you Chap. The first season do just enough to get me to start the second season during my time when I really can't do anything other than watch TV or sleep. I'm enjoying this second season so far more than the first. Sure, I roll my eyes pretty frequently while watching, but I do the same with most action series.

Joe

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like the show,...catch it every week. I have not been in the Navy for thirty years so lots has changed anyway...last season a few things got to me but this season it don't bother me any. It's television,...post apocalyptic,... I am guessing even in real life lots of things would change.there are bases all over the world with ammo so that isn't an issue really.quality food is...either way, it is just entertainment...nothing else on in that time slot.......... the huge tragedy is that I have to choose between falling skies and ballers as to which one gets put on the dvr

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I binged this over the summer and then watch this last season real time. It's officially over now and worth the watch if you want to binge it all together.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Started watching this last night on Hulu per my brother's recommendation. I am hooked. I didn't realize this was filmed pre-COVID. Interesting to watch now in light of the real pandemic. Fortunately, COVID is not as bad as the one on this show.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave