The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i rewatched it again last week after i bought it. i can't believe there are some of y'all that didn't love it. i mean, i think it's hilarious and even more so because it's actually true. perhaps we hyped it up too much, maybe b/c we didn't have any expectations when we went into it.

and i just don't get nashman's vendetta.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
definitely not a traditional comedy - or really a comedy at all

you won't fall out of your seat laughing - but the personalities are a bit absurd and the dry delivery on how serious some of these guys take things is classic

billy mitchell comes off like a complete clown - i think everyone wanted to kick that guy

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard Colin Cowherd this morning say that this film has been "Herd Approved." ...meaning he liked it, too. There you go, nashman. A third-party endorsement.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Recently watched this. Great for a documentary. I didn't want it to end. My main question is: If they reach the kill screen every time, how is there a 70,000 point (i think thats what is was) difference between Billy's score and Wieber's? I've never played Donkey Kong :shrug:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Recently watched this. Great for a documentary. I didn't want it to end. My main question is: If they reach the kill screen every time, how is there a 70,000 point (i think thats what is was) difference between Billy's score and Wieber's? I've never played Donkey Kong :shrug:

I haven't played in many moons, but I believe you can accumulate more points along the way by destroying more fireballs and other stuff, or also by finishing the screens quicker.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Good movie. I liked it, but I agree that it was over-hyped. I was starting to lose interest at the end. It was fun to see all those old games we used to play when I was growing up (I'm 41 BTW).

Mitchell and Kuh came off as complete ass clowns. The head guy at Twin Galaxies seems like a nice guy, but I think that Mitchell will always either have the title or re-claim it every time it is beaten. Mitchell must have about a dozen tapes at home with various scores that he can submit whenever his record is broken.

It was funny how Mitchell kept talking about the integrity of live scores, yet he refuses to compete against any challengers in a live competition. Pathetic, really, that his Donkey Kong record has come to define him to such a degree.

I enjoyed that Wiebe is credited with having the all-time top Donkey Kong score at the end of the film, even though Twin Galaxies now lists a Mitchell score as the best. Mitchell will never be able to watch The King of Kong again without getting pissed off that Wiebe ends up with the record at the end of the movie.

The funniest part was the end credits where it said the one guy was "trying for the Joust record while building his law practice". Hilarious!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I loved it. And in fact, never wanted it to end. Something about the nerds of the 80's that make me laugh.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've called my son Billy Mitchell a couple of times on our trip for abomb's wedding, as he blabbers on and on about what level he's on with his Spiderman on the gameboy (he's 4.)

I say "great job, Billy." One time my wife leans over and says "can you at least call him Wiebe?"

Billy Mitchell -- ubervillian!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I've called my son Billy Mitchell a couple of times on our trip for abomb's wedding, as he blabbers on and on about what level he's on with his Spiderman on the gameboy (he's 4.)

I say "great job, Billy." One time my wife leans over and says "can you at least call him Wiebe?"

Billy Mitchell -- ubervillian!

that's fantastic. the fact that your wife jumped in to defend with the wiebe comment makes it all the better. i just wish that wiebe had more of a "look" so cheese and i could go as steve wiebe and billy mitchell (who is unmistakable if you've seen the movie) for halloween.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shuffles up:

Uh, hey. There's a kills screen coming up over here. Yeah. A donkey king kill screen.

:shuffles away:

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Just watched it tonight, even though like some other posters pointed out there weren't too many good reviews :D.

I really enjoyed it, they did a great job of turning a documentary into a movie that was fun to watch. By the end of the movie I found myself rooting for Steve and hoping he would break the record. Kinda amazing that they were able to develop the characters in a way that it seemed more like a movie than a documentary. Overall though I would give it a solid B+/A-, very entertaining and kept my attention throughout the entire thing.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Your the best..... AROUND!
Nothings gonna ever take you down!

LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Just had my dad watch the movie and he was amazed. He wen't in with very little expectations (even though I told him I loved it) and came away loving it also. Said he has never rooted harder for a character or hated a character more than he did with Steve and Billy. Said it was one of the most entertaining movies he has watched in a long time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched it. As someone who was in highschool when Donkey Kong got popular(I can remember going to Chuck E Cheese to play it when I was a freshman in HS), this was both nostalgic, and hilarious.

Billy Mitchell is classic, you couldn't write a character that perfect so for that to be the REAL guy is amazing. the hair, the wife, the refusal to play Steve while constantly saying head to head is the true measure of a player.

My girlfriend didn't like it much said just a bunch of nerds competing to see who was the biggest nerd.

Definitely liked it as a kid going to the local arcade there was always some kid there who was like Billy, but you just never imagined 25 years later those kids would be grown ups and yet still be the same obsessed players of those games.

and I loved the referee guy, that it was so important to him that scores be legit that he invented the entire format for checking them.

Highly recommend the movie.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, Ok Cheese I watched this one finally. I have to say that I enjoyed it as I kind of grew up on those games. Its funny how people get addicted to something like that but guess its better than some other addictions. I found myself rooting for Steve as Billy was a complete Jackass. The fact that such a big deal was made and Steves machine was ripped apart and score discredited because Billy thinks he somehow cheated was crap. Then Billy goes on and on about how the true test is live and head to head then his sorry ass sends in a tape, wtf. Steve at least manned up multiple times and went to do it live and Billy is just a punk he doesn't deserve it, acts like he is somehow better than the other guys. Anyways it was enjoyable and glad that Steve got the record in the end otherwise it may have affected my opinion of it.
I too thought it was pretty amazing they actually developed the characters in a documentry enough to make you care about what was going on.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I was messing around at work and went to the site twingalaxies.com and that ******* Billy Mitchell has the world record on DK what the hell! He is just such an arrogant jackass that I wanted the other guy to have it forever!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Well, I cant believe I didnt mention this earlier.

This summer my wife and I drove to Maine from Harrisburg, PA.

I made sure to let her know that there was no way I would drive past Funspot without stopping. So for half a day, I played vintage games like Steve Wiebe.

And for the record. Donkey Kong is freaking HARD! Funspot Rocks.