The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't return it yet...I want to borrow it!

Damn yous. I put it in the mail this morning. I may just try to get it at Best Buy. We have to watch this with the wives after some beers.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, if you buy it let me know...I want to buy it but with the budget, I cancelled my Netflix.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, if you buy it let me know...I want to buy it but with the budget, I cancelled my Netflix.

Right on, I will trickle down my Netflix then. :)

Shoot, with three seasons of the Wire for me to give you, you have plenty to watch. :)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched it. It was okay...okay to good. But, I don't get the hoopla about it.

Weird people, man. Even Weebe was just a strange duck.
I felt bad for him--not that he could get Martin on the hook, but that his friends and family were defining him by his failures even before all this happened.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very funny movie. It's like a time warp. These guys got hooked on Donkey Kong (and other video games) in the early '80's and never stopped.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We liked it. Good movie to watch instead of the Super Bowl pregame.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard too many glowing reviews on here?
Get your eyes checked. There are no negative reviews and only one or two "pretty good movie" reviews.

Haven't seen a thread on this doc so I figured I'd start one and spread the word to everyone...

GO SEE THIS NOW!

I don't shower praise on movies very often, but this is one of the greatest "sports" movies of all time and definitely the best movie of the summer. It's got a delicious villain who you love to hate, a lovable loser who you desperately want to win, conspiracies, montages, interviews... and it's ALL real. Seriously, you couldn't write this movie if you tried (although New Line thinks differently, already purchasing the story rights to the documentary).

Gad, you won't be disappointed. I don't throw praise around that often, especially to comedies and ESPECIALLY to documentaries, but this is just one of the best films I've seen in a looooooooooooooong time. I pretty much e-mailed everyone I know and implored them to go see this before New Line bastardizes it into a mediocre Ben Stiller movie.

and do not, I repeat again, DO NOT read anything else about the movie - it's 98% fresh on rotten tomatoes and pretty much universally loved. That's all you need to know - anything else will takeaway from just how ridiculous and ridiculously well done the movie is.

and now that I've hyped the crap out of this thing, everyone should note that I think Loaded Weapon 1 is a comedy classic.

cheese took a friend (female) and i to see it yesterday. and all i can say is . . . OH MY GOD!

amazing. i mean, unreal . . . and yet terrifyingly REAL! i have never seen, and likely never WILL see a documentary as entertaining as this again.

and i completely concur with cheese . . . don't read anything about it prior . . . just go and enjoy. then you'll be driven to read everything about it afterwards (i've spent most of my day getting updates on the 'net).

a must see. as much as i loved superbad, this trumps it. currently organizing another crew in OC to go see it again. i will own it. in fact, cheese and i were talking about going to halloween as a couple of the people from the flick.

just go see it.

Cheese is dead on about this movie. So many great characters that take themselves and video games so seriously. The fact that this is a documentary makes these people that much more ridiculous.

5/5

Watched most of it this morning during my commute. Pretty damn funny. The producers of this did a fantastic job putting it together. Like was mentioned early in this thread, there are great “characters”, especially the villain. I felt a little sad for Steve’s wife and kids, hopefully it wasn’t really as bad as the film made it look. Make sure to pay attention to the t-shirts that some of the guys in the background are wearing, some of them are flippin funny.

My favorite parts of it were definitely the music montages. A little Karate Kid, some Rocky, it doesn’t get much better than that. I’m really looking forward to finishing this up and reading a ton about the background of these guys and the competition.

Very funny movie. It's like a time warp. These guys got hooked on Donkey Kong (and other video games) in the early '80's and never stopped.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks Pariah but I was looking for someone with good taste in comedy to get an opinion from. Sure I will get my eyes checked thanks for the smart ass response.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Pariah but I was looking for someone with good taste in comedy to get an opinion from. Sure I will get my eyes checked thanks for the smart ass response.
Okay. I guess I was just taking your confusion at face value. Twice in the last couple of weeks you've implied that people on the thread were down on the movie. I was just pointing out all of the responses here are positive, if not glowing. There's not a single negative thing said about the film. Just seemed weird, that's all.

But, keep looking for that negative review. I'm sure you can find it somewhere on the Internet and then you can safely not watch it.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe regroup too, so you can do more than spit out a sentence fragment, expecting other readers to decipher your monosyllabic drone and process it as either a question or a statement.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't imply anything, everyone was talking this up. And its been on DVD for a while now so I was looking to see if it was worth watching. And wasn't looking for negative response just some others besides cheese and his crew. And abomb why do you always have to jump in with some insult, why don't you mind your own business I wasn't talking to you.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought there was more than "just cheese and his crew." That's why I quoted Bada, Nathan and Cardsmasochist. There's also my opinion and Mulli's, but I didn't include those because they were just good reviews, not great.

So, without Cheese and Ouchie's thoughts, you have five "good" or better reviews. I just thought that was a pretty solid endorsement and an indication it might be "worth watching."

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's okay. I guess it wasn't as great as it was made out to be. Not too many glowing review on here.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soooo...your comment honestly had nothing to do with your personal distaste for Cheese?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think cheeses' movie tastes are odd, just looking for other opinions. So no had nothing to do with my distaste for Cheese.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Ok so I watched this last night and I must say that the hype was over the top from this board but it was an extremely intresting movie and my wife and I both really got into it.

One of my life goals is to meet Billy Mitchell and ask him to autograph something as the "second best Donkey Kong player in the world" just to see him get all pissy. What an assclown. And his video was a fake IMO.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I watched this last night and I must say that the hype was over the top from this board but it was an extremely intresting movie and my wife and I both really got into it.

One of my life goals is to meet Billy Mitchell and ask him to autograph something as the "second best Donkey Kong player in the world" just to see him get all pissy. What an assclown. And his video was a fake IMO.
Re your spoiler: He did best that score live, though (in the post-script of the DVD). So it's concievable it was legit.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re your spoiler: He did best that score live, though (in the post-script of the DVD). So it's concievable it was legit.

Also check out the wiki entry for the movie; it is the most up to date.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why don't you mind your own business I wasn't talking to you.

You are talking to everyone when you post on this board, unless you specifically target someone. And since abomb is my little sister, I'm defending her honor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard