The Interceptions

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess people would be interested to see the bigger picture on the 2 interceptions from Sunday so here you go.

I'm confused by both of them but lets start with the first one.

So straight off you will notice they are playing 2 high. So the deep ball inside the numbers is already a low odds option before the snap. If you pause the video when Kyler releases Anderson is in tight double coverage.

It's a silly pass down 4 on 1st down with lots of time remaining. Made even more so by the easy checkdown to Eno and Nuk having a big window on the deep cross. It looks to me like Kyler decided he was throwing this pre snap despite the bad look from the defense.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I understand that Ertz took the blame for this one but I'm struggling to see how because I don't see how the straight seam pass is there with the safeties position. You throw a seam pass there and the safety is just going to break downhill onto it for an INT anyway.

It looks to me that Ertz has an option route. If the safety stays back them he runs a dig behind the linebacker into the big window you can see in front of the safeties. If the safety comes down then he runs straight for the seam pass.

Maybe I'm missing something but Ertz route looks good to me considering the position of the defenders.

But if Kyler could consider throwing to the flat when it's not a designed play he has Rondale and Eno both with a tonne of space. Especially Eno. McBride is also wide open for a 1st down.

Even if Ertz runs a seam it's an incredibly difficult pass between 3 defenders when you have 3 easy first down options open.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Technically thats not 3 defenders if Ertz keeps towards the seam. Honestly looks like the kind of pass we'd throw to Maxx Williams years ago. Fault is only Kyler for thinking Ertz is Gronk or even Maxx to make that kinda play.

Based on the field dynamic and speed of Anderson that's absolutely a throw you make.

At the 6 second mark the safety is looking for the ball to go to Ertz. He's not covering ground like Harrison Smith.

You can find vids of Desean Jackson and other notable fast guys running by the "double". The safety is looking back at the ball instead of finding the man initially. That speed turn showed you that he was screwed if that ball gets out there to him.

Kyler didnt get the ball out/Oline didnt block. Josh Allen has made that play repeatedly this season because Buffalo understands dynamic and leverage.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Technically thats not 3 defenders if Ertz keeps towards the seam. Honestly looks like the kind of pass we'd throw to Maxx Williams years ago. Fault is only Kyler for thinking Ertz is Gronk or even Maxx to make that kinda play.

Based on the field dynamic and speed of Anderson that's absolutely a throw you make.

At the 6 second mark the safety is looking for the ball to go to Ertz. He's not covering ground like Harrison Smith.

You can find vids of Desean Jackson and other notable fast guys running by the "double". The safety is looking back at the ball instead of finding the man initially. That speed turn showed you that he was screwed if that ball gets out there to him.

Kyler didnt get the ball out/Oline didnt block. Josh Allen has made that play repeatedly this season because Buffalo understands dynamic and leverage.

Why make a super low odds throw to Anderson with P2 in man coverage (who already has 3 PBUs) on 1st and 10 in Q3 only down 4 when you have 2 much easier passes open?

You have Nuk for an easy 20 yards on an easier throw.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why make a super low odds throw to Anderson with P2 in man coverage (who already has 3 PBUs) on 1st and 10 in Q3 only down 4 when you have 2 much easier passes open?

Again. Its not low IQ. It was a great call. Poor execution because of protection. These are the plays you guys complained we dont have enough of.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
Both were the right read, Ertz INT was on Ertz...the one to Anderson was a combo of line + Kyler weak arming it, thought he might be getting hit while in throwing motion so that probably impacted the throw. Anderson was wide open and that was a 90+ yard TD if Kyler gets the ball out there

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think the first route was there to Anderson

but Kyler is late. He has to wind up and let it go at the 0.07 mark -- when Anderson clears the 20 yard line-- with a ball aimed between hash and numbers between the 40 and 45.

the safety knows he is beat too -

Kyler double clutches. He looks like he is going there-- but hitches and then tries to get it there.

Thrown in rhythm, its a chance for a TD

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Other than first interception, which a rushed throw in duress (again), he played pretty well. 2nd int was just an unfortunate play.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Because it's not a video game where you can click a different button and make a different throw with a birds eye view. The Anderson route came open at the same time that Nuk came open. Kyler was already looking that way. Protection didn't hold up and Kyler was hit as he threw which messed up the pass. Have you ever played a live action sport before where decisions are made in split seconds? Just curious

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I guess people would be interested to see the bigger picture on the 2 interceptions from Sunday so here you go.

So straight off you will notice they are playing 2 high. So the deep ball inside the numbers is already a low odds option before the snap. If you pause the video when Kyler releases Anderson is in tight double coverage.

It's a silly pass down 4 on 1st down with lots of time remaining. Made even more so by the easy checkdown to Eno and Nuk having a big window on the deep cross. It looks to me like Kyler decided he was throwing this pre snap despite the bad look from the defense.

I understand that Ertz took the blame for this one but I'm struggling to see how because I don't see how the straight seam pass is there with the safeties position. You throw a seam pass there and the safety is just going to break downhill onto it for an INT anyway.

It looks to me that Ertz has an option route. If the safety stays back them he runs a dig behind the linebacker into the big window you can see in front of the safeties. If the safety comes down then he runs straight for the seam pass.

Maybe I'm missing something but Ertz route looks good to me considering the position of the defenders.

But if Kyler could consider throwing to the flat when it's not a designed play he has Rondale and Eno both with a tonne of space. Especially Eno. McBride is also wide open for a 1st down.

Even if Ertz runs a seam it's an incredibly difficult pass between 3 defenders when you have 3 easy first down options open.

The first pick was a stupid pass and made no sense, unless he felt he had him deep but then did not count on the pressure coming up on him to get it out there, still risky as all get out when he had other options

The second one is Ertz fault and not about to ignore Ertz telling the truth. True, a difficult pass but Kyler has thrown that route before and has fit it in there to Ertz (yeah, there are easier options usually out there but that is what he chooses to do). The ball was in the air way before he ever made that cut (a rather slow cut at that) and it would have been there as the route Kyler expected it to be

What I have learned about Kyler is that he can make very accurate throws, almost insane accuracy to tell the truth in very tight windows, but the deal is often he does not have to and there are other higher percentage options open to him. My assumption is he is skittish due to the interior of our OL and does not feel he has the luxury to make past two progressions, but that does not absolve him of blame. A running back is still expected to hit the hole even when the OL sucks and a QB is expected to hang in there for a majority of the options to develop even when the OL sucks

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I said on the game thread the Ertz pass interception was on Murray. As a receiver you’re taught not to run into coverage. I see this as a matter of pocket presence. The defenders position was obvious. A savvy QB would have anticipated the cut and lead the target into the open area, not throw directly into the coverage.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

but Kyler is late. He has to wind up and let it go at the 0.07 mark -- when Anderson clears the 20 yard line-- with a ball aimed between hash and numbers between the 40 and 45.

Kyler double clutches. He looks like he is going there-- but hitches and then tries to get it there.

100%. If he trusted his eyes and released it the first time when he wanted to it’s a big play because Peterson released him to the safety, who never flipped his hips. The safety is ready Kyler’s eyes and at the snap he’s staring down the middle of the field. He then flips to Anderson and wants to throw it, but doesn’t trust himself, double clutches, throws late, rest is history.

Harry

Reaction score
Murray’s ego helped cause the Anderson attempt to be intercepted. Throwing off your back foot with no space to follow through caused a completion to be impossible. He should have thrown the pass away. He couldn’t have got the ball there with a t-shirt gun. I liked sending Anderson long but you had to commit to enough protection for Murray so he’d have time to throw after Anderson cleared the coverage. Kingsbury has never accepted the line is too weak stand by itself for deep throws. I’d have gone all in using TEs and RBs to help. Even if that meant Anderson was facing double coverage, let him have a shot at getting behind it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Given the limited number of snaps Anderson was in the game -- this play MUST have been one that were practiced during the week.

Anderson was likely the number one option pre snap, with a single read post snap: is that safety flat footed or backpeddling? if the former, huck it deep on your third step.

I just dont get the hesitancy and regression -- these are throws he loves and excelled at up until this year

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said on the game thread the Ertz pass interception was on Murray. As a receiver you’re taught not to run into coverage. I see this as a matter of pocket presence. The defenders position was obvious. A savvy QB would have anticipated the cut and lead the target into the open area, not throw directly into the coverage.
Thanks Harry

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
The ball was in the air way before the cut. We all complain about Kyler not doing timing routes or throwing WRs open, but when he does and the receiver not named Hop fails at his responsible route, we blame the young QB. It would have been a difficult route to complete but again, Kyler has thrown those before. Tell me this, do you think that was a planned 4 second route? I think not

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Murray’s ego helped cause the Anderson attempt to be intercepted. Throwing off your back foot with no space to follow through caused a completion to be impossible. He should have thrown the pass away. He couldn’t have got the ball there with a t-shirt gun. I liked sending Anderson long but you had to commit to enough protection for Murray so he’d have time to throw after Anderson cleared the coverage. Kingsbury has never accepted the line is too weak stand by itself for deep throws. I’d have gone all in using TEs and RBs to help. Even if that meant Anderson was facing double coverage, let him have a shot at getting behind it.
Exactly. The play called for max protect.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow another thread with Brit bashing Kyler who would’ve thunk it…

It's another thread with facts my man. I can't help it if the facts say Kyler is sucking right now. When he's not sucking I'll write about that.

Did you know Kyler's longest passing pay of the year he 38 yards? That's not air yards. Thats including YAC. That's 43rd in the league. The only starting QB lower is Dak Prescott and he's barely played.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Exactly. By the time he throws the ball Anderson is so far gone and going so fast that Kyler would have to throw nearly 60 air yards to lead him. Kyler doesn't have 60 yards in him, or it's at least very low odds.

Harry

Reaction score
The ball was in the air way before the cut. We all complain about Kyler not doing timing routes or throwing WRs open, but when he does and the receiver not named Hop fails at his responsible route, we blame the young QB. It would have been a difficult route to complete but again, Kyler has thrown those before. Tell me this, do you think that was a planned 4 second route? I think not
You’re right but that just means the ball was thrown too soon. He should have seen the same open area Ertz saw. That’s where you aim, not where the coverage can compete for the ball.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
You’re right but that just means the ball was thrown too soon. He should have seen the same open area Ertz saw. That’s where you aim, not where the coverage can compete for the ball.
This forum is a hoot, that is all I have to say lol