The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the good thing is it really doesn't matter whether this trailer is great or boring. Between Tolkien fans and Peter Jackson fans this movie will open well and with plenty of hype. That's pretty much all you need a trailer for anyway and it will sink or swim on it's own merits after that opening.

Steve

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The teasers for the original LOTR were of a ring tumbling through flames, and then there was another one showing the Fellowship walking up a hill. Not exactly riveting stuff, but the movies exceeded all expectations.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I assume the trailer is intended to get people interested in seeing the movie. If so, this "teaser" trailer is an epic fail.

Just sayin'.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw the preview for it before Wreck-It Ralph this afternoon. :thumbup:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reviews are coming in. It currently has a 76% on Rotten Tomatoes but many of the review talks about it being bloated (which some of us predicted) and boring at times. It's not wonder because the entire story can be told in one movie. When I heard they stretched this into 2 I was worried. When they later said 3, I was pissed because I knew this would happen.

I am going to see it anyway because my son wants to see it but this annoys me.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hobbit_an_unexpected_journey/

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is going to be 3 movies?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is going to be 3 movies?

Yes. Supposedly PJ and his writing team are going to create enough content to make up for the real content that would actually only span one movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yes. Supposedly PJ and his writing team are going to create enough content to make up for the real content that would actually only span one movie.

Jackson is pulling from other sources, mainly the appendices in the LOTR books. These films will be more faithful to the books (and not just the Hobbit) than LOTR was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing three things for the most part:

1) there's no reason for this to be split up into three movies as the movie suffers from serious bloat, especially the beginning which apparently goes on forever.

2) there is A LOT to like in it for LOTR fans, just could have used a better editor.

3) 48 FPS is a bust, beautiful at times, but incredibly distracting at others, making sets REALLY look like sets and creating a weird Benny Hill effect in action scenes.

I'm definitely going to go see it, but I ain't going 48 frames and my expectations are set to medium.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1) there's no reason for this to be split up into three movies as the movie suffers from serious bloat, especially the beginning which apparently goes on forever.

2) there is A LOT to like in it for LOTR fans, just could have used a better editor.

3) 48 FPS is a bust, beautiful at times, but incredibly distracting at others, making sets REALLY look like sets and creating a weird Benny Hill effect in action scenes.

I'm definitely going to go see it, but I ain't going 48 frames and my expectations are set to medium.

Yeah, I don't like that realistic 48fps effect, ugh. No 3D either. Just normal fun.

Also, I'm not complaining...three more LOTR movies...maybe I'm just a fanboy and love this stuff, but I'm fine with as much as possible. Stoked to see tales from other books make it into these films.

I mean, seeing what Gandalf does with the White Council, or Gollum's trip to Mordor? Awesome!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good take. I don't care where Jackson pulls from, there isn't enough here for 3 films. Basically, the other thing I gleaned from the reviews is he better fill much better in the next 2. I won't get my hopes up.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it called unexpected journey because there is so much surprise they would make a movie about the hobbits?

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can assume that the 48 frame version is only in select theaters (probably digital theaters)? In Wickenburg they still have real film and standard projectors.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can assume that the 48 frame version is only in select theaters (probably digital theaters)? In Wickenburg they still have real film and standard projectors.

Bryan Singer wants to film his next X-Men movie using this 48 fps.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/X-Men-Days-Future-Past-Might-Eyeing-3D-48-FPS-34494.html

Bryan Singer tweeted recently that he was experiencing “serious frame rate envy” after his screening of The Hobbit, which doesn’t mean much until you pair that news with another bit of information from Magneto, himself, Sir Ian McKellen. While doing Hobbit press, McKellen tells Malone’s Movie Minute that Singer attended the premiere with James Cameron and was very impressed with the technology Jackson used to make the vision come to life. So much so that he might use 3D and 48 fps for Days of Future Past.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave