The Grayson Allen thread

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
The only issue I have is that Book/Allen/Beal/KD are all awesome when on shooting the ball on offense, but when not on, we struggle and we don't have a point guard in that core. Nurkic is a point Center at times, but we still don't have a point guard in the core of the team. Even moreso, a team coached by Vogel should have a really good defensive point guard. Unless Bradley takes on this role full time .... we don't even have that.

And don't get me wrong, I see it is as is, it was likely losing Allen and not even having the MLE to replace his spot with. It's just the balance of this team, it would make more sense for Allen to come off the bench, and the team to have a quality defender that can match up with opposing PGs. We will see this if we advance in the playoffs. Minnesota doesn't have this sort of player, but teams like Denver (Murray), OKC (SGA) do.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they have to get a point guard to replace Allen in the starting lineup. I think they would be OK with a solid backup point guard.
But it would have to be someone whose abilities forced the Coach to play him and I don't know how we get one at that level without drafting him or developing him until we're no longer in cap hell. Maybe we'd have an outside shot at someone like Tyus Jones but I can't see him helping us as much as Grayson has.

I'm not fond of point Book but I am okay with Point Beal/Book. It's not ideal but it allows us to put our most talented players on the court at the same time. Bradley has displayed the skills to handle the position at least as well as Devin only now, whichever one of them is playing the point gets to do it next to an All NBA caliber shooting guard. Being a mediocre PG while playing next to a mediocre shooting guard hasn't worked too well for us.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
But it would have to be someone whose abilities forced the Coach to play him and I don't know how we get one at that level without drafting him or developing him until we're no longer in cap hell. Maybe we'd have an outside shot at someone like Tyus Jones but I can't see him helping us as much as Grayson has.

I'm not fond of point Book but I am okay with Point Beal/Book. It's not ideal but it allows us to put our most talented players on the court at the same time. Bradley has displayed the skills to handle the position at least as well as Devin only now, whichever one of them is playing the point gets to do it next to an All NBA caliber shooting guard. Being a mediocre PG while playing next to a mediocre shooting guard hasn't worked too well for us.

Tyus Jones, TJ McConell, even Delon Wright are some of the names on my list.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
starting 5 will remain the same especially if vogel stays - it's where we're most invested and we are hamstrung dot com with the second apron - that and vogel doesn't really utilize pgs and i wouldn't either with allen complimenting the big 3 so well - and when vogel does start someone other than allen it's either been gordon (not recently tho) or oneale

vogel likes defense - most traditional pgs become liabilities on defense - be it first string or off the bench - idk if a pg would help but vogel definitely isn't worried about it far as i can tell

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
And don't get me wrong, I see it is as is, it was likely losing Allen and not even having the MLE to replace his spot with.
That's one of the key points to this signing. If the Suns deem that they were wrong and they do need a starter or competent backup level PG, this contract gives them more flexibility to pursue one; otherwise they're picking from the minimum barrel again.

Here's a list of PGs and their average annual salaries: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/contracts/point-guard/

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Booker said Grayson was good when we first acquired him.

I remember thinking, Book knows slightly more than I on basketball talent so I hope we found a late bloomer:) It appears we have.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Allen has over 200 threes this season alone! That's an awesome season!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard