The Grayson Allen thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, it may not be the popular opinion on here, but I would take Cam Johnson over Grayson - but it is close.

I just think his size and defense and rim pressure is enough better to make up for his worse ALMOST EVERYTHING, including availability.
FTFY

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, it may not be the popular opinion on here, but I would take Cam Johnson over Grayson - but it is close.

I just think his size and defense and rim pressure is enough better to make up for his worse shooting.
His defense is better, but let’s not confuse cam Johnson with anything other than being bigger. As for rim pressure, I’m uncertain he’s more effective in the paint than is allen. Allen’s floater and his ability to attack the rim has been somewhat a revelation (a bit of hyperbole there, but I don’t think any of us anticipated his overall game being as good as it is).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 2nds. One from San Antonio, one from Denver

As far as I can determine in 2024, the Suns forfeited the second round pick originally from Denver for improper contact with Drew Eubanks and the Spurs second round pick was protected in the Cam Payne trade, so it will not convey.

That leaves the Suns with only their first round pick.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
this is some side dressing but i was a little worried there for a minute - not about ishbia ponying the dough but about allen and all the options he'd have after leading the league - especially with how milwaukee embraced him when we visited the bucks this year - legit reminded me of mikal here in phx + it made me hope allen was happy playing here

sure - he's going to start - and he's get open on this squad but nobody here knows how that locker room flow is and was this year - but one has to believe it must be okay at the minimum all things considered

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Now the player option in the 4th year makes sense. Was wondering why we'd concede that but if he took less then it makes sense.

Good signing, not great. Very tradable contract going forward. We need to consider that given the limited options the team will have to improve in the draft and free agency. I don't think we'll trade Allen soon but having a contract in the high teens gives lots of flexibility for a trade down the road.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now the player option in the 4th year makes sense. Was wondering why we'd concede that but if he took less then it makes sense.

Good signing, not great. Very tradable contract going forward. We need to consider that given the limited options the team will have to improve in the draft and free agency. I don't think we'll trade Allen soon but having a contract in the high teens gives lots of flexibility for a trade down the road.
Why "not great"? Are you strictly talking about his value vs his contract? To me, the fact he's almost found money moves this deal into "great" territory.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why "not great"? Are you strictly talking about his value vs his contract? To me, the fact he's almost found money moves this deal into "great" territory.

Team option would have been great. I don't like that player option. Player options rarely work in a teams favor.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not sure about the taking a LOT less part. We had his bird rights and for a four year contract supposedly we could offer more than other teams on a four year deal, which at the time they were saying would be the 70 mil he signed for. I don't really care, just kind of confusing what his agent said. Glad our owner was all in.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now let's extend Royce, and find a way to get an actual backup point guard added.

Royce shouldn't get a raise. I'd be surprised if he is extended early. We'll have his bird rights this summer so we can retain him regardless. If he gets a stupid offer from someone, no problem. I can see him wanting to see if he'll make more than he is currently on the open market but no one will offer him more than the MLE. He's a nice player but not a core piece anyone will offer more than $10-$12 million a year.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah I’m just confused with a few posts here about signing Allen for 17M, that’s way below market value.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Allen may be looking for 80-85m deal in the summer but it's with a risk that he underperforms in the playoffs under pressure which may greatly reduce his market value. So, it's a fair deal on his part. For Suns, it's a right deal. First, we don't want Allen in the POs with his mind burdened by his next contract, as he has not been mentally robust in the past, such as with his extended shooting slump etc. Second, depending on opponents we might need to bring him off bench for optimal rotation. For example, we'd be better off starting RO to cover Towns to avoid putting KD, Beal or Allen himself on him too early for too long. With the contract issue over with, we avoid bad feeling on Allen's part then. Third, the deal is slightly below Nurk's, which reflects their respective importance on roster, good for team incentive perceptions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard