The fix is in

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
a few years back the indy colts ran a "suck for Luck" campaign... Peyton had some mysterious injury which he miraculously has no scars to show for all the surgeries...and Indy was completely hapless on the field.
Their attempt at tanking the season was purely comical in how obvious it was.
In order to avoid heavy league sanctions their owner fired everybody...GM, coaches,..he wrote a step son out of his will, had two adopted nephews snuffed out by the mob...all in an attempt to make it look like he had nothing to do with it and it wasnt intentional.

fast forward to the 2018 arizona Cardinals. we have new everybody. while the offensive system may be complicated there have been signs that the offense is coming together. But mysteriously, whenever we start to bear the fruits of our labors... the head coach takes over the play calling and proceeds to kill any momentum we have gained by running a backup RB into mason coles back three times in a row. Mike McCoy may not be in on the joke but Wilks surely is... in fact, considering his recent employment history, Mike McCoy may well be the sacrificial lamb. Hired in to give us a reason for being so inept. Paid to take the fall for what is a truely disasterous season.

But why? Will the top pick make that big a difference for us? We already have our QBOTF in Josh Rosen. Can an Oliver, a White, or a Bosa really make that big a difference??

Not alone they cant.

But consider this. What if there is only one QB in the 2019 draft. Right now it looks like Drew Lock. There are not a lot of teams in need of a young signal caller right now. But one that stands out is the New York Giants. One may consider them in pretty good position since they look like thay are going to be right behind us in the draft and we dont need a QB. But they wont be the only team needing a QB.
How much might the giants have to pay, not just to move up one spot, but to ensure we dont trade that pick to some other QB needy team? If they have #2 they also have #34...we could get #34 for a one slot jump. Go from #1 and #33 to #2 and #33 and #34... if there is some bidding we may be able to get even more.
From a cardinal perspective it makes sense. Having the first two picks in round two can either provide us with two quality red chip players or the ammo to move back into the first round to get another playmaker.

the best part about trading 1 to 2 is it leaves us open to trade again for a team needing a pass rusher. a team, say, sitting at 5...5 is a great spot but it isnt going to get you Nick Bosa or Ed Oliver. But we could use 5 to get a guy like Devin White...a MLB,...which we desperately need. Then trade back into the first and grab a guy like Dexter Lawrence...massive 6'5 340lb DT from Clemson who is a complete package for stuffing the run as well as playing in the backfield.
we would still of course have whatever we gained trading from 2 to 5 even after getting White and Lawrence in the first round.
Two guys like that would do amazing things for our defense.

draft...too early I know.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Uh, no scar?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
okay theres a scar,..saw him remove a bandage to show it to a reporter once and there was nothing there...and the bandage was more around front.
colts still tanked to get Luck regardless

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've asked a similar question about a month ago, and the best answer I got was to keep the really high first round pick that it looks like we'll have and trade our second round pick for multiple picks. With a quality first round pick, along with a hefty bag of FA dollars, we should be in a position to compete in 2019.

"Blow for O"

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For gods sake they aren't sucking just to suck....they are sucking because they can't do their job...I wish it was as easy as 'they are tanking on purpose.' That isn't the truth...and even Wilks today admitted he's gonna be fired if they don't turn it around.
If they lose to Denver at home on Thursday...expect a full blown torch taken to the place.
The ONLY safe person may be Keim (again I said MAY)

The problem that Mike has to look at is....dude YOU hired him...what fooled you once that won't get you fooled again, because if you don't learn from it...you are going to repeat it.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well the Cards picked the wrong year for that plan unless they get the top pick. Forget Lock. He’s no longer top 10 according to anyone with whom I’m talking. Justin Herbert is the top pick of a few people only because they assume, someone like the Giants, will have to take a QB to quiet their fans. If Denver, Tampa or Jax collapses they may also be in desperate need. Beyond Herbert many don’t even have another QB in round one. Sadly this isn’t a year to trade a top pick for a handful of picks

If the Cards don’t get the top pick, Oliver & Bosa are next on most hierarchies. The board seems set to grab one. I still think the Cards go OL and get D help in free agency. Oakland would likely give up their 2 first rounders to get Bosa. Their PR crisis is a disaster. If the Cards get the top pick it’s likely the Giants would give up this years’ one and next years’.

If the Cards go OL do they replace Humphries of take someone to play RT who would later move to LT? I know Alabama tackles have a bad rep but he seems more athletic than his predecessors. He played well at LT & RT. Edwards plays a good RT (lacks LT feet) and Wisc has a decent, but not great, OL history. May be the best run blocker in the draft. Both are likely top 10. Figuring to go slightly lower is Risner from KSU. A good RT who may be able to move left. A few people have Little in the top 10. However, like Humphries, he seems to be an LT only. Adams from WA has been out with an injury but some scouts think he comes out and goes late round 1. He's a risk, but maybe a biscuit. Cajuste has a bad injury history. I think he’s a guard and likely can be had with the early 2nd. These evals are early, so later in the year things may be clearer, but at least you have a few people to watch.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I've asked a similar question about a month ago, and the best answer I got was to keep the really high first round pick that it looks like we'll have and trade our second round pick for multiple picks. With a quality first round pick, along with a hefty bag of FA dollars, we should be in a position to compete in 2019.

"Blow for O"
I am for keeping it as well...except in the case where we may be able to trade back one or two slots...if we get the #1,..someone will want to trade for it to get a QB...I wouldnt trade it for say...pick 9,...but pick 5?? I would if the offer was decent

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
For gods sake they aren't sucking just to suck....they are sucking because they can't do their job...I wish it was as easy as 'they are tanking on purpose.' That isn't the truth...and even Wilks today admitted he's gonna be fired if they don't turn it around.
If they lose to Denver at home on Thursday...expect a full blown torch taken to the place.

The problem that Mike has to look at is....dude YOU hired him...what fooled you once that won't get you fooled again, because if you don't learn from it...you are going to repeat it.

how else do you explain the HC taking over the play calling every time we get momentum and intentionally calling plays to kill the momentum?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I'm supposed to grind away publishing the BRS each week while the Cards jockey for a top draft position that will get us...what?

I'd rather the Cards play their guts out each week while we're in suspense over whether we'll lose...and by how much?

The game is called "Football." Not "Pin the Tail on the Draft Choice."

Last edited:

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
Have to take DT Oliver from Houston with the number 1 unless you can trade down and get multiple 1st or 2nd round picks in a trade. If we take Oliver in first round need either an offensive linesman or WR in 2nd. After that best OL or LB in future rounds.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What the hell lol. We've had 3 losing seasons in the last 11 years. I swear you would think this was the 90s cardinals the way some of these guys act.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Drew Lock, Justin Herbert, Finley, et al will be behind Dwayne Haskins vine draft time.

That said, if the Cards have the #1 pick, it should definitely be up for sale.
What the Cards need is the Giants and another QB needy team to be in the top 5 so they can trade down, have a bidding war, and stay in the top 5.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin White is the only LB that makes any sense for the Cards but the problem with him is it's his 3rd year at LB and he looks like a guy who has only played LB for 3 years.he's getting better, freak athlete, huge upside, but drafting a MLB in a 4-3 defense and that guy is someone who probably can't be your defensive QB because he's still learning how to play LB has some risks. Most teams see the MLB as the QB of the defense, the thing White does worst, is instinct, he is so athletic he's a great college player, but he's one of those guys who often takes the wrong gap or gets fooled. And to be clear, I'm not saying he's not smart, I'm saying he plays like a guy who was a RB until he got to college, which is what he was.

Part of why I love Ed Oliver, and Bosa, is they are almost assuredly going to play the same role in the NFL they play in college, they will have an easier transition than White or some of the others.

I love Dexter Lawrence too he's one of 3-4 guys on the DL that I think are good enough for the Cards to pick, if we don't get a top 2-3 pick but are 5-6, he'd be one of the guys I'd be interested in, actually even moving back a bit he may be there closer to 10. He's not a great pass rusher he's a run stuffer, which we need, and he's overweight, both of those could keep him from going higher. But he's a VERY good run stuffer the type of guy you pretty much have to double team, at the college level at least.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Love Devin White. But MLBs are likely to slide in the draft. Reuben Foster is a prime example.

Ed Oliver and Devin White would be nice 2 pick combo for the Cards. Another guy to keep an eye on is the MLB from Kentucky, Allen( I think).

I’m taking Oliver over Bosa everyday.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Has a city ever had such a tough sports year as to have two #1 overall draft picks the same year?

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Love Devin White. But MLBs are likely to slide in the draft. Reuben Foster is a prime example.

Ed Oliver and Devin White would be nice 2 pick combo for the Cards. Another guy to keep an eye on is the MLB from Kentucky, Allen( I think).

I’m taking Oliver over Bosa everyday.
Foster only slid because he is a trainwreck of a human...otherwise he was a top 15 guy

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are really only three teams that need a qb urgently.

The Giants, Dolphins, and the Broncos.

A few others like the Patriots, Chargers, and possibly the Saints and Steelers will want one, but don't consider it a desperate need at this point

This is the least need for qb I can remember in quite a while.

The Giants and Broncos both skipped last year, which I think was good for the Cards, but stupid for them.

One defensive lineman, although something the cards do need, will not be as impactful as multiple picks. This team needs a year of 12 draft picks desperately, and should do anything in it's power to make that happen.

Of course Keim's draft history does not give me great hope those picks will pan out at the rate needed.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
you know what this year is?

we are three games into a 13 game pre-season for 2019. Its all about:

1. Getting Josh Rosen up the learning curve
2. finding a handful of other young players that will be the core of the team.
3. Losing enough that its clear a new staff is needed

that is how I watch the games now

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There are really only three teams that need a qb urgently.

The Giants, Dolphins, and the Broncos.

A few others like the Patriots, Chargers, and possibly the Saints and Steelers will want one, but don't consider it a desperate need at this point

This is the least need for qb I can remember in quite a while.

The Giants and Broncos both skipped last year, which I think was good for the Cards, but stupid for them.

One defensive lineman, although something the cards do need, will not be as impactful as multiple picks. This team needs a year of 12 draft picks desperately, and should do anything in it's power to make that happen.

Of course Keim's draft history does not give me great hope those picks will pan out at the rate needed.

maybe the Jags... Bortles has backslid. If they think 2017 was an outlier they will be in the market as well.

for us, the best case is NY I think...as we wont want to trade way back and they will be top three.

with a top five pick even keim cant screw it up

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
okay theres a scar,..saw him remove a bandage to show it to a reporter once and there was nothing there...and the bandage was more around front.
colts still tanked to get Luck regardless

I really hope you don't believe this so I am just going to assume you forgot to add the :sarcasm: tab. If anybody tanked on purpose you don't think the people that get fired would...Oh I don't know cry foul, write a book, tell everyone who would listen? It could also be followed up with legal ramifications. I mean fixing game is a crime.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Foster only slid because he is a trainwreck of a human...otherwise he was a top 15 guy
I'm just saying, MLB has to be super elite to go in the top 10-15. It's just not a position of emphasis at the top of the draft.