The Expanse (SyFy)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm considering just watching from the beginning again because there's been so much time in between the seasons and it is comparable to GoT in the amount of storylines to follow. Re-watching GoT really helped backfill a lot of the things I forgot over time, so might be worthwhile here too.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Loving it. HATING Amazon's ABYSMAL "we'll show you three then one a week" policy. You'd think they'd have learned from the Boys backlash, but I guess not.

While I wish I had E4 to watch after the way E3 ended I'm all for the weekly releases with a show like this. It's not a popcorn show. Being able to digest, go back and rewatch the episodes, and talk about them with everyone is great for a show like this.

I'm falling into the camp that services should releases shows both at once and weekly depending on their content. If the season is more like a long movie, which a lot of streaming shows are, then I think it should be dropped at once. They generally end up having pacing issues when shown weekly. The Boys S2 suffered a bit from this. But then for an Expanse, GoT, etc. that has dense and complex stories they should be released weekly.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Terrific start to the season.

But as always, the acting really prevents this show from becoming a classic.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Really? I’ve got no problem with the acting.
There are only 2 good actors and two or three ok actors in the entire show. Most of them are pretty bad, including two of the leads.

Cas Anvar, the guy who plays Alex, is the worst of them all, but Steven Strait as Holden isn't far behind. And don't get me started on Cara Gee as Drummer. Not to mention the terrible accents throughout the show.

Only Wes Chatham as Amos and Shohreh Aghdashloo as Chrisjen elevate the cast at all.

Dominique Tipper (Naomi), Chad L. Coleman (Fred Johnson) and Frankie Adams (Bobbie) are getting better but still average.

They killed off the only other 2 actors that could compete with Amos and Chrisjen in the good acting department.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
There are only 2 good actors and two or three ok actors in the entire show. Most of them are pretty bad, including two of the leads.

Cas Anvar, the guy who plays Alex, is the worst of them all, but Steven Strait as Holden isn't far behind. And don't get me started on Cara Gee as Drummer. Not to mention the terrible accents throughout the show.

Only Wes Chatham as Amos and Shohreh Aghdashloo as Chrisjen elevate the cast at all.

Dominique Tipper (Naomi), Chad L. Coleman (Fred Johnson) and Frankie Adams (Bobbie) are getting better but still average.

They killed off the only other 2 actors that could compete with Amos and Chrisjen in the good acting department.

To each their own. No one is winning an Emmy, but I think the acting is fine.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Wow, I cannot disagree more. I think the acting is pretty good throughout. Drummer in particular is fantastic. Beltalowda!!!

Are you a reader of the books? I'm not being snippy, but that may affect your judgment here.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
While I wish I had E4 to watch after the way E3 ended I'm all for the weekly releases with a show like this. It's not a popcorn show. Being able to digest, go back and rewatch the episodes, and talk about them with everyone is great for a show like this.

I'm falling into the camp that services should releases shows both at once and weekly depending on their content. If the season is more like a long movie, which a lot of streaming shows are, then I think it should be dropped at once. They generally end up having pacing issues when shown weekly. The Boys S2 suffered a bit from this. But then for an Expanse, GoT, etc. that has dense and complex stories they should be released weekly.

Shows should either be weekly releases or full season releases. I lean towards the latter for Netflix and Amazon and other streaming services. Dropping three at once and THEN limiting it to 3 is about the dumbest, most frustrating thing, IMO.

Plus, you can go slow and digest if you want--you wouldn't HAVE to watch all of the available ones at once :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man I keep trying to get into this but I can’t recall a single episode that didn’t put me to sleep, literally. Not a single episode and I’m on season 2.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Wow, I cannot disagree more. I think the acting is pretty good throughout. Drummer in particular is fantastic. Beltalowda!!!

Are you a reader of the books? I'm not being snippy, but that may affect your judgment here.
I am not a reader of the books.

I never said I didn't like the characters -- I said the acting is not good. And it isn't. I like the character of Drummer a lot. I just think her accent is so bad that it affects her performance. I'm amazed you didn't notice it, especially when she was put up against David Straithairn last season.

That said, there aren't a lot of characters I don't like. I wasn't a fan of the Thomas Jane ghost last season, but for the most part I liked his character as well.

I'm not sure how my judgement is affected by not reading the books. Again -- I never commented on the characters, just the acting.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Shows should either be weekly releases or full season releases. I lean towards the latter for Netflix and Amazon and other streaming services. Dropping three at once and THEN limiting it to 3 is about the dumbest, most frustrating thing, IMO.

Plus, you can go slow and digest if you want--you wouldn't HAVE to watch all of the available ones at once :)

I agree with the 3 to start and then weekly. It should all be weekly if they're doing weekly.

And you can't wait a month and a half to watch it all at once. ;) Dropping it all at once almost forces you to binge if you want to see reviews and talk about it with people. Weekly keeps everyone on the same page. It also give the show a lot free advertising. I don't know about most shows but for genre (sci-fi, comic book, fantasy) I follow a bunch of youtube channels that love to do reviews on each episode.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I am not a reader of the books.

I never said I didn't like the characters -- I said the acting is not good. And it isn't. I like the character of Drummer a lot. I just think her accent is so bad that it affects her performance. I'm amazed you didn't notice it, especially when she was put up against David Straithairn last season.

That said, there aren't a lot of characters I don't like. I wasn't a fan of the Thomas Jane ghost last season, but for the most part I liked his character as well.

I'm not sure how my judgement is affected by not reading the books. Again -- I never commented on the characters, just the acting.

My thought was that you HAD read the books, and that was affecting your judgment of the acting.

No worries. I'm glad you're still enjoying the show.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My thought was that you HAD read the books, and that was affecting your judgment of the acting.

No worries. I'm glad you're still enjoying the show.
Yeah I still think that this and Mandalorian are the two best Sci-Fi shows on tv right now.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Man they are killing it this season. Episode four is out now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I DESPERATELY need a new binge and haven’t seen this. Is it a slow burn? Pilot didn’t really hook me but I know people swear by this show. Does it pick up post pilot? I’ve got pretty bad ADD for TV shows right now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So, I DESPERATELY need a new binge and haven’t seen this. Is it a slow burn? Pilot didn’t really hook me but I know people swear by this show. Does it pick up post pilot? I’ve got pretty bad ADD for TV shows right now.
Yes yes and yes. One of the best shows on tv now.

Town Drunk

Reaction score

Yes. I was the same way, pilot never hooked me and I dumped it. I came back around to try it two years later and I’m glad I did. It’s the best sci fi series I’ve seen in years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I was the same way, pilot never hooked me and I dumped it. I came back around to try it two years later and I’m glad I did. It’s the best sci fi series I’ve seen in years.

Big enough bang at the end of episode 1 to hook me into 2.

I was a MASSIVE Battlestar guy, up until the HELEN! reveal. Will I dig this along similar lines? Most of Battlestar was fascinating from characters to plot to philosophical, political and religious issues it delved into.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Big enough bang at the end of episode 1 to hook me into 2.

I was a MASSIVE Battlestar guy, up until the HELEN! reveal. Will I dig this along similar lines? Most of Battlestar was fascinating from characters to plot to philosophical, political and religious issues it delved into.
Battlestar IMO had some really boring interludes that this show doesn't have. I'm not as high on the current season as the previous 4, but it's still really good.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Battlestar IMO had some really boring interludes that this show doesn't have. I'm not as high on the current season as the previous 4, but it's still really good.

I thought this season really started out strong, but it's really been lagging recently. Still good, but certain story lines have just dragged on and kind of wasted time.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
I thought this season really started out strong, but it's really been lagging recently. Still good, but certain story lines have just dragged on and kind of wasted time.

I agree. Started off hot but the last couple of episodes have lagged. Still good tv.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

+1 on this. The season started out great for the first 4 or 5 when you know what happened but the last couple episodes have been dragging a bit. The Naomi story line probably worked really well in the books when you can have her inner monolog but it's not playing great on the show.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I like the mix of sci fi, politics, human nature, and personal stories on the show. They do a good job of mixing things up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, this show bores the living daylights outta me. I keep trying to give it a shot due to everyone’s positive thoughts but I think I fall asleep in 3/4ths of the episodes. And there’s not a single character I care about.