The Expanse (SyFy)

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Battlestar IMO had some really boring interludes that this show doesn't have. I'm not as high on the current season as the previous 4, but it's still really good.

I thought this season really started out strong, but it's really been lagging recently. Still good, but certain story lines have just dragged on and kind of wasted time.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I thought this season really started out strong, but it's really been lagging recently. Still good, but certain story lines have just dragged on and kind of wasted time.

I agree. Started off hot but the last couple of episodes have lagged. Still good tv.

Devilmaycare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

+1 on this. The season started out great for the first 4 or 5 when you know what happened but the last couple episodes have been dragging a bit. The Naomi story line probably worked really well in the books when you can have her inner monolog but it's not playing great on the show.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
I like the mix of sci fi, politics, human nature, and personal stories on the show. They do a good job of mixing things up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, this show bores the living daylights outta me. I keep trying to give it a shot due to everyone’s positive thoughts but I think I fall asleep in 3/4ths of the episodes. And there’s not a single character I care about.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
I thought it was a good finale. A little slow here and there, but overall pretty good. Definitely sets up the final season.

Last edited:

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, this show bores the living daylights outta me. I keep trying to give it a shot due to everyone’s positive thoughts but I think I fall asleep in 3/4ths of the episodes. And there’s not a single character I care about.

yeah... i haven’t been back to it.

did you ever watch the new Battlestar from the mid 2000s? I think you’d love that... until the end when it just can’t quite stick the landing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... i haven’t been back to it.

did you ever watch the new Battlestar from the mid 2000s? I think you’d love that... until the end when it just can’t quite stick the landing.

For sci-fi I'd take X Files or Doctor Who (my preference) over either of these shows. Expanse bores me, Battlestar was very good until the last 1.5 seasons or so and then it was a waste until the final 2 episodes (as I recall).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought it was a good finale. A little slow here and there, but overall pretty good. Definitely sets up the final season.
Yeah this show does finales really well.
Appropriate that the rings become important since they’ve been missing the entire season.[\spoiler]

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
For sci-fi I'd take X Files or Doctor Who (my preference) over either of these shows. Expanse bores me, Battlestar was very good until the last 1.5 seasons or so and then it was a waste until the final 2 episodes (as I recall).

Oof, Doctor Who (modern) always had crappy writers but a concept and acting that bailed them out. Until it really, really didn't. For me, that was many years ago.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Yeah this show does finales really well.
Appropriate that the rings become important since they’ve been missing the entire season.[\spoiler]

Yep.

My guess is they’re going to have Marcos and Earth/Mars join forces to fight the ring aliens and play on that tension for the next season.

Devilmaycare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oof, Doctor Who (modern) always had crappy writers but a concept and acting that bailed them out. Until it really, really didn't. For me, that was many years ago.

Modern Who is good up until about the 50th anniversary special. Then the writing starts to kill it during the Capaldi seasons. They stuck with the Clara arc way too long. Now it's completely off the rails. Last season, especially the finale, really went off a cliff. Chibnall's getting a special place in hell. They really need to find a way to retcon and decanonize it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern Who is good up until about the 50th anniversary special. Then the writing starts to kill it during the Capaldi seasons. They stuck with the Clara arc way too long. Now it's completely off the rails. Last season, especially the finale, really went off a cliff. Chibnall's getting a special place in hell. They really need to find a way to retcon and decanonize it.

The show still has plenty of solid episodes after The Day of The Doctor although I agree it drops off quite a bit when Capaldi enters the picture. I liked Clara quite a bit but IMO she shouldn't have made the transition to Capaldi companion. And I haven't yet seen season 12 so maybe it will drive me away as it has others?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

Disagree. I think it was bad long before that. The writers wrote themselves into a corner: "Time is broken and the Doctor has to die or everything ends." Their cop-out? They build a fake robot Doctor to die and time is somehow fooled. I mean, WTF? Gimme a break.

It was always fluffy and silly, which is cool and fun, but it only had a handful of good years, for me.