The Expanse (SyFy)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this Syfy show--okay, so it's not Game of Thrones in space, like it's been billed--but it's fairly fun. The science, though...wow. I mean, just wow. You'd wish that people would stop making huge ship and gun noises in the middle of space, since there is NO sound, but okay, you have to accept that. One moment, however...one moment just transcended the whole 'you want me to accept THAT?!' bad science crap. See below.

There are prisoners in a small chamber in a spaceship. Suddenly a shot comes in and the hull is breached, in two places--two walls of the room. I get that you don't immediately get sucked out into space--that's also a bad science trope--but these prisoners suffer absolutely no negative effects. They calmly and slowly patch the holes, one with a piece of metal and a goo gun--okay, I can kind of buy that--but the other with a frickin' binder folder. A BINDER FOLDER! Yeah, because THAT'S going to hold up LOL And, to top it off, none of them suffer any ill effects of this at all.

Wow. I mean, WOW! Come on, show runners. You can do a whole lot better than that!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this Syfy show--okay, so it's not Game of Thrones in space, like it's been billed--but it's fairly fun. The science, though...wow. I mean, just wow. You'd wish that people would stop making huge ship and gun noises in the middle of space, since there is NO sound, but okay, you have to accept that. One moment, however...one moment just transcended the whole 'you want me to accept THAT?!' bad science crap. See below.

There are prisoners in a small chamber in a spaceship. Suddenly a shot comes in and the hull is breached, in two places--two walls of the room. I get that you don't immediately get sucked out into space--that's also a bad science trope--but these prisoners suffer absolutely no negative effects. They calmly and slowly patch the holes, one with a piece of metal and a goo gun--okay, I can kind of buy that--but the other with a frickin' binder folder. A BINDER FOLDER! Yeah, because THAT'S going to hold up LOL And, to top it off, none of them suffer any ill effects of this at all.

Wow. I mean, WOW! Come on, show runners. You can do a whole lot better than that!

I have to admit I was surprised by this show. It's pretty damn good. It has a little BSG (the newer version) vibe mixed in. I honestly only watched an episode because I happened to run across it. I am glad I did. I just added it to my DVR.

By he way, I did roll my eyes too with the binder. However, when dudes head went missing? That was pretty epic.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I watched the pilot and I like the production quality. Still a little weirded out by Thomas Jane's hair, though. :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet, but had a few laughs reading the comments on a story announcing that it has been picked up for Season 2. People were like - "That's great - can we get the rest of Season 1 sometime soon?" or "Thanks for the constant reminders that we can watch the first 4 episodes online while we wait a month for the 5th episode !!" :D

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I watched the pilot and I like the production quality. Still a little weirded out by Thomas Jane's hair, though. :)

Me too, on both counts. The one thing I don't like--apart from that bad science bit--is the sound quality when someone's wearing a helmet or speaking through a microphone. I get that you want the authentic vibe, but I can't hear a word they're saying.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I really are enjoying this show. The effects and production values are amazing for a cable show.

I'm getting more of a BSG vibe than Game of Thrones, but I'll admit, that description was what got me to watch the pilot. :bhiich:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I really are enjoying this show. The effects and production values are amazing for a cable show.

I'm getting more of a BSG vibe than Game of Thrones, but I'll admit, that description was what got me to watch the pilot. :bhiich:

Exactly what I thought as well.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe it wasn't an ordinary binder but a Trapper Keeper! Those things could withstand the rigors of space I tell ya. :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recorded the Childhoods End trilogy with extension at the end of each episode so I have about 10 minutes of the first Expanse. Will probably watch it.

Not sure what to make of Childhoods End, one of the first Clarke books I read some of changes they made for the tv version I don't like at all but I'm only 2/3 in that one.

Nice to see SyFy doing some shows that they're actually trying to be good as opposed to all the cheesy Sharknado stuff.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recorded the Childhoods End trilogy with extension at the end of each episode so I have about 10 minutes of the first Expanse. Will probably watch it.

Not sure what to make of Childhoods End, one of the first Clarke books I read some of changes they made for the tv version I don't like at all but I'm only 2/3 in that one.

Nice to see SyFy doing some shows that they're actually trying to be good as opposed to all the cheesy Sharknado stuff.

I never read the books but I have to say...it was sort of depressing. I wasn't sure what to expect so I had no real expectations of what the mini-series was about.

Basically...I heard alien....invasion.....I was in.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just binged about half of season 2 over the weekend and man, this thing is getting good! The first season was a little tough to navigate because they were working so many story lines, but it has come together in a really compelling way. Wife is loving it too. Plus the effects are still fantastic! I can't believe this is a cable show.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I just binged the entire series on Amazon. Really glad Amazon saved it from cancellation after SyFy canned it. Really good. Not Game of Thrones good, but it’s a really enjoyable sci-fi show. BSG is a good comparison. Excited for season 4 in December.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The Expanse is back on December 16th! Amazon dropped the trailer for season 5 a little while ago and it looks good. I can't wait for this one.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I never read the books but I have to say...it was sort of depressing. I wasn't sure what to expect so I had no real expectations of what the mini-series was about.

Basically...I heard alien....invasion.....I was in.

The book for Childhood's End was great. I really like it when I read it when I was younger. The miniseries didn't live up to it. It came out depressing because they did a really poor job explaining what was going on. The brother of my girlfriend at the time was super religious and hated the miniseries. Talking with him I saw that he didn't get it at all so I explained it to him. His first question was where I got it all from since he didn't get any of it from the show. He still wasn't sure about it but said it made a lot more sense and wasn't as bad.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just started watching it from the beginning like two days ago, already on episode 6. This is great sci-fi space opera.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
The Expanse is back on December 16th! Amazon dropped the trailer for season 5 a little while ago and it looks good. I can't wait for this one.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The book for Childhood's End was great. I really like it when I read it when I was younger. The miniseries didn't live up to it. It came out depressing because they did a really poor job explaining what was going on. The brother of my girlfriend at the time was super religious and hated the miniseries. Talking with him I saw that he didn't get it at all so I explained it to him. His first question was where I got it all from since he didn't get any of it from the show. He still wasn't sure about it but said it made a lot more sense and wasn't as bad.

Nice! I feel like they just released the last season. Quick turnaround.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just started watching it from the beginning like two days ago, already on episode 6. This is great sci-fi space opera.
I really enjoyed the beginning of this and then it started to slog and I fell off it. I’ll see if I can restart it.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Just binged the first three episodes. Man I missed this show.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've really liked what I've seen of this series. I also heard the authors (James S. A. Corey is the pen name used by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) talk a bit about their craft on an older episode of the Full of Sith podcast. Interesting stuff.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Loving it. HATING Amazon's ABYSMAL "we'll show you three then one a week" policy. You'd think they'd have learned from the Boys backlash, but I guess not.

Yep. I believe the show runners of the Boys said it was their creative decision to do the one a week premiere. It’s apparent that’s not the case. I could have binged another couple of episodes last night. Great series.