The ESPN 2k5 Thread

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought it for the x-box.

The game is really difficult on pro, let alone all pro.

Rookie is very easy to "learn on"

I found the franchise mode to be almost too involved. Doing a week of practicing before a game was lengthy, though I could turn McCown into a decent QB with that.

I was amazed to see that McCown actually is statted like he should be, unlike in Madden. He has a 80 speed and like a 90 agility. He just isn't very accurate so he throws a lot of interceptions.

I thought the game was far more realistic than any Madden game I have played and Chris Berman rocks.

I would give it a B+ (Not an 'A' because it is almost too tough)

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I feel at times I'm not in control of the game. I like Madden better, and will trade this in on the 10th when Madden comes out. The weekly practices are rediculous, and it seems like no matter what I do during the week, the players (except the kicker) don't get any better. I miss the training camp that you have in Madden.

I'd give this a B, and I don't think it lived up to the hype. The roughing the passer penalty seems super sensitive.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
I feel at times I'm not in control of the game. I like Madden better, and will trade this in on the 10th when Madden comes out. The weekly practices are rediculous, and it seems like no matter what I do during the week, the players (except the kicker) don't get any better. I miss the training camp that you have in Madden.

I'd give this a B, and I don't think it lived up to the hype. The roughing the passer penalty seems super sensitive.

Really if you take the time (half hour) to do the whole thing, you can get one side of the ball to be really really good. The key is to focus on what you want to do and diversify that group's activities.

Oh and run a lot of drills (like daily practices)

OP
OP
schel

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Franchise mode in 2k5 has been confirmed to be broken in a lot of areas. I wouldn't even bother with it. It's sad, but obviously rushed. I'm waiting for Madden to play franchise mode. This game is mostly a multiplayer game as of now. I doubt they can patch all the problems with franchise (at least for the PS2)

$20 for online/leagues isn't so bad. I'm just glad I didn't pay a full $50. They obviously have some work to do for 2k6. Too bad, too. 2k5 had so much potential but they screwed it up by not having enough time to test and fix bugs :(

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
schel said:
Franchise mode in 2k5 has been confirmed to be broken in a lot of areas. I wouldn't even bother with it. It's sad, but obviously rushed. I'm waiting for Madden to play franchise mode. This game is mostly a multiplayer game as of now. I doubt they can patch all the problems with franchise (at least for the PS2)

$20 for online/leagues isn't so bad. I'm just glad I didn't pay a full $50. They obviously have some work to do for 2k6. Too bad, too. 2k5 had so much potential but they screwed it up by not having enough time to test and fix bugs :(
Are the bugs only with PS2? I haven't seen any with Xbox version I bought.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
anyone else having problems playing on xbox live? I keep trying to do optimatches, then challenge people, and get no response....am I doing something wrong? :shrug:
Nope played online yesterday and started a season online.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Does it have to be played online? I have dsl and my phone jack is wauy too far away from my tv :(
Just go buy a longer CAT Cable I think a 25' is like $10 bucks at best buy

MikeOnTheMic

Veteran
Reaction score
I bought this game on Wednesday and I'm still getting use to the control a feel of it. The more I play it the more I like it. And for $20!! Steal! I preordered NHL2k5 when I heard it was going to be $19.99 also.

I'm on xbox -if anyone wants to put a league together I'd be interested.

-Mike

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I will set up a league but I want to make sure we have enough people. I will start a new thread.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
I will set up a league but I want to make sure we have enough people. I will start a new thread.

that sounds good. I have 3 guys who would play for sure. Maybe do a 12 team league with a fantasy draft?

A-Bomb

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Absolutely love the game, but having one minor online issue. My brother and I like playing together against opponents online, but the second controller never shows up. In the first ESPN football, you were able to play with multiple players against opponents....can you do this in this game?

OP
OP
schel

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Are the bugs only with PS2? I haven't seen any with Xbox version I bought.
I hear it's for the XBox too. One problem is the Trade AI. It's terrible, but that can be worked around with some effort. The problem is the CPU doesn't handle injuries well. Once a player gets injured they usually just release him. So later on in your franchise you will see Zach Thomas, Anquan Boldin, Randy Moss, etc all in the free agents list because they were cut by the CPU AI. Also, the AI doesn't know how to manage a team. Somebody saw the Colts pick up Vick when Peyton was perfectly healthy. They don't know how to draft either. All you can do is hope for a patch if that's even possible (it depends how they coded their game, but they did design many feature on the XBox first so you never know). If you haven't seen these problems yet, that's great, but more than likely you'll run into them sooner or later.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
schel said:
I hear it's for the XBox too. One problem is the Trade AI. It's terrible, but that can be worked around with some effort. The problem is the CPU doesn't handle injuries well. Once a player gets injured they usually just release him. So later on in your franchise you will see Zach Thomas, Anquan Boldin, Randy Moss, etc all in the free agents list because they were cut by the CPU AI. Also, the AI doesn't know how to manage a team. Somebody saw the Colts pick up Vick when Peyton was perfectly healthy. They don't know how to draft either. All you can do is hope for a patch if that's even possible (it depends how they coded their game, but they did design many feature on the XBox first so you never know). If you haven't seen these problems yet, that's great, but more than likely you'll run into them sooner or later.

I never use free agency, only the draft.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Yeah the franchise mode sucks. Madden destroys the ESPN series here... Actually I just think Madden is an all around better game. Sorry :(

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
The game isn't too bad, but it's nowhere near as good as Madden. I am not disappointed that I traded in two games and essentially got this one for free, but in no way has it given me any reason to question purchasing Madden when it comes out next month.

OP
OP
schel

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
I hear if you turn preseason off (just sim it) and turn off Weekly Prep, the CPU doesn't make all the stupid cuts. Also they trade much less, maybe 2-4 times a season. I haven't tried it, but I might as well mention it.