Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weinstein Co. Gets Even with The Equalizer
Source: The Weinstein Company
December 1, 2005

The Weinstein Company has acquired the rights to develop and produce a feature film based on the original hit television series The Equalizer in which Robert McCall, a veteran covert operative seeking redemption for his darker exploits, quits a CIA-like agency and puts an advertisement in the newspaper that reads; Got a problem? Odds against you? Call The Equalizer. The announcement was made today by Harvey Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company.

Mace Neufeld (The Sum of All Fears, Sahara and Clear and Present Danger), Tony Eldridge and Michael Sloan will serve as producers on the film. The rights were acquired from Michael Sloan and Richard Lindheim, the original creators of the television series The Equalizer. Eric Robinson and Brenden Deneen will oversee production on behalf of The Weinstein Company. No director or cast has been attached to the project yet.

Harvey Weinstein stated, "'The Equalizer' was one of my favorite TV series in the 1980's because the writing was always smart and very unpredictable. I am really excited about developing and producing this film."

Michael Sloan said, "Tony Eldridge and I are thrilled to be working with two legendary filmmakers like Harvey Weinstein and Mace Neufeld. 'The Equalizer' is a character we believe will resonate strongly with today's audience; a man of style and compassion using skills as an ex-covert agent to help ordinary people in trouble."

Mace Neufeld said, "I have been looking for a big franchise series to follow-up on my Tom Clancy films. 'The Equalizer' perfectly fills the bill."

The original hit television drama series The Equalizer starred Edward Woodward and Robert Lansing and ran on CBS from 1985-1989.

------------------------------------------------------------

Loved the tv show. Great character.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul McGuigan Helming The Equalizer
Source: Variety
January 27, 2006

The Weinstein Company has set its Lucky Number Slevin director Paul McGuigan to helm The Equalizer, the big screen adaptation of the TV drama that starred Edward Woodward.

The story will be a contemporized take on the New York-set drama, reports Variety.

The film is produced by Mace Neufeld, Tony Eldridge and Michael Sloan; the latter created the drama with Richard Lindheim. The series ran from 1985-89 on CBS.

McGuigan said there is no thought of making the title character younger.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No point to this. They could just as easily come up with an idea similar to this without having to call it a remake...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Equalizer Gets The Writers
Source: Variety
January 10, 2007

According to Variety, the Weinstein Company has signed crime novelist Michael Connelly ("Blood Work") and Terrill Lee Lankford to pen the screenplay for The Equalizer, their feature remake of the popular '80s TV series.

Connelly is best known for his series of novels starring police detective Harry Bosch, while Lankford, a regular collaborator of Connelly, is also an author, who has worked on severla indie films. The remake will be directed by Lucky Number Slevin helmer Paul McGuigan, but no cast has been attached as of yet.

The original show starred British actor Edward Woodward as Robert McCall, and the dark, character-driven crime show was a CBS hit in the late '80s. Each episode would see Woodward's former intelligence officer helping his client settle a score.

Connelly acknowledged in a statement that "times have certainly changed since the days of the television show" but said he and his co-scribe "plan to build a character that is of these times but to also keep the heart and soul of the show intact."

------------------------------------------------

It should have good writing with Connelly involved. :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
------------------------------------------------

It should have good writing with Connelly involved. :thumbup:
Yeah, if it were going to be a novel. Screenwriting is a whole 'nother craft, IMO. There are poeple who can do both, but more often than not, they can't.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I watch The Equalizer on UNI HD. I used to love that show. I tuned in to one episode, and friggin Adam Horowitz ( Beastie Boys anyone?) was a drug ddeal er on it. Awesome!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved this show when it was on. I hope they don't turn this into just a generic action movie with the name "Equalizer" in name only.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved this show when it was on. I hope they don't turn this into just a generic action movie with the name "Equalizer" in name only.

Yeah, I'm with Chaplin on this. Unless you are going to do a remake and stick to the character/vibe of the old TV show...just make a new movie with a character that helps people, but isn't Robert McCall. :shrug:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While keeping the character but changing the race.

Are you saying that matters? Not sure what you are saying.

I don't care when they change race. I just care if they don't keep the essence of the character and just throw the same name on their for name recognition.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was a really fun movie. It didn't sell out too early on the action--plenty of story without relying solely on action sequences--and the best part is that it really had a television-show vibe. I never caught the original, but I liked how they constructed the script on this one. And of course, Denzel was nails.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Equalizer

Release Date: September 25, 2014 (2D theaters and IMAX, p.m. screenings)
Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
Director: Antoine Fuqua
Screenwriter: Richard Wenk
Genre: Action, Thriller
MPAA Rating: R (for strong bloody violence and language throughout, including some sexual references)

Starring: Denzel Washington, Marton Csokas, Chloë Grace Moretz, David Harbour, Bill Pullman, Melissa Leo

Plot Summary: In "The Equalizer," Denzel Washington plays McCall, a man who believes he has put his mysterious past behind him and dedicated himself to beginning a new, quiet life. But when McCall meets Teri (Chloë Grace Moretz), a young girl under the control of ultra-violent Russian gangsters, he can't stand idly by – he has to help her. Armed with hidden skills that allow him to serve vengeance against anyone who would brutalize the helpless, McCall comes out of his self-imposed retirement and finds his desire for justice reawakened. If someone has a problem, if the odds are stacked against them, if they have nowhere else to turn, McCall will help. He is The Equalizer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a really fun movie. It didn't sell out too early on the action--plenty of story without relying solely on action sequences--and the best part is that it really had a television-show vibe. I never caught the original, but I liked how they constructed the script on this one. And of course, Denzel was nails.

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to hear from someone if this had the original TV vibe in any way.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man on Fire is one of my all time favorites. I hope it's as good as that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man on Fire is one of my all time favorites. I hope it's as good as that.

I wouldn't put it up there with my all time favorites but I do like it quite a bit. I'll be pleased if The Equalizer is its equal.

Steve

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it up there with my all time favorites but I do like it quite a bit. I'll be pleased if The Equalizer is its equal.

Steve

Went this afternoon. It wasn't on par with MOF but very enjoyable nonetheless. I thought they could have done a better with how it was scripted at the end other than just a good guy/bad guy showdown. Of course, its set up perfectly for a sequel, but that's Hollywood. Overall well worth the trip, IMO. As Stout said, Warshington was perfect. btw I spelled it Warshington because that's how I pronounce it, which I get no end of grief from my wife.

Something that struck me was the audience. Not a lot younger people, mostly over 40 crowd. Seemed odd to me for an action flick.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I remember that one of the tenets of the TV show was that McCall refused to kill anyone, ever.

I guess the writers missed that when researching for this film.