The Durant Sweepstakes

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was listening to Woj. The problem is KD is not saying he won't play next season if a trade can't be worked out. So, that takes a ton of pressure off the Nets. He seemed to indicate they are OK with letting KD play on his existing contract. In contrast, he is saying that he has talked to teams and the hesitation is trading away the bank and not having enough to win a title after getting KD.

No question I trade Cam for KD. Not even a hesitation there. I don't want to give up Bridges, but I wouldn't say no there either. It's easy to throw in Crowder, Payne, Shamet, Craig & Saric but at the end of the day many teams may not want those players including the Nets. Also, that's not how picks work. We wouldn't have no picks for 7 years. Some of those would be pick swaps but I think the Nets traded away a bunch of those already.
I would trade Cam. I would hate trading Mikal but I might. I would not at all be interested in trading both.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I was listening to Woj. The problem is KD is not saying he won't play next season if a trade can't be worked out. So, that takes a ton of pressure off the Nets. He seemed to indicate they are OK with letting KD play on his existing contract. In contrast, he is saying that he has talked to teams and the hesitation is trading away the bank and not having enough to win a title after getting KD.

No question I trade Cam for KD. Not even a hesitation there. I don't want to give up Bridges, but I wouldn't say no there either. It's easy to throw in Crowder, Payne, Shamet, Craig & Saric but at the end of the day many teams may not want those players including the Nets. Also, that's not how picks work. We wouldn't have no picks for 7 years. Some of those would be pick swaps but I think the Nets traded away a bunch of those already.
The filler is not for talent, its for exp payroll. The picks are the trade value

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Comparing bridges to pippen is just silly in almost every manner.
I personally agree but if you look at Pippen after year 4....... You notice many similarities. Bridges is the lessor for sure, but it could be much worse.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The filler is not for talent, its for exp payroll. The picks are the trade value
That doesn't change anything. You have to find a team that is looking for expired payroll. That's why it's so each to cherry pick players and assume that will work. Also, I didn't say anything about the value of picks. I was just responding to you about not having picks for 7 years. That's not how it works. You can only trade every other 1st rounder and the picks in between can only be swaps. In this case, the Nets have already traded away some of those picks in-between.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally agree but if you look at Pippen after year 4....... You notice many similarities. Bridges is the lessor for sure, but it could be much worse.

outside of both being very good defenders, i notice very few similarities.

In year 4, Pippen averaged 18/8/6 to Bridges 14/4/2. More points, double the rebounds and tripling assists.

I also see in the playoffs in year 4, Pippen raised his game to 22/9/6.

In year 4, Bridges "raised" his game in the playoffs to 13/4/3.

Bridges is a very good defender... that's where any comparisons with Pippen start and finish.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

In year 4, Pippen averaged 18/8/6 to Bridges 14/4/2. More points, double the rebounds and tripling assists.

Bridges is a very good defender... that's where any comparisons with Pippen start and finish.
Mikal is the guaranteed 4th option (sometimes 5th or 6th) on this team, and rarely has plays ran for him. Pippen was never worse than third and usually 2nd by his 4th year, and had multiple sets in the triangle that utilized his height in the post IIRC.

I do agree that Pippen is better.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Exactly. Pippen could get his own shot and create for others as a good distributor. Bridges - no.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Mikal is the guaranteed 4th option (sometimes 5th or 6th) on this team, and rarely has plays ran for him. Pippen was never worse than third and usually 2nd by his 4th year, and had multiple sets in the triangle that utilized his height in the post IIRC.

Dude the 8 to 4 rebound advantage and 6 to 2 assist comp should be enough, but just having watched them there’s no comparison. Pippen could play point guard. Bridges would be an outright disaster at point.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
As great as MJ was individually, one of his best attributes was making everyone around him better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They’re not in the same universe. There’s a reason Mikal is the 4th option and is never depended on to create for others.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They’re not in the same universe. There’s a reason Mikal is the 4th option and is never depended on to create for others.

Bridges had that amazing stretch of offense in March, shot great, displayed a cagey mid-range game, averaged nearly 20 a game for a month straight, then, just like the rest of the team, the wheels came off towards the end of the year.

By the later part of the Mavs series he couldn't even find the rim on wide open looks.

The version of him we saw in March is a clear all-star, if he can get to that level with any consistency.

(but the Pippen comparison is obviously bonkers)

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's that stretch where I thought Bridges was taking that next step. He was playing great. He's no 33 but he's got that 'IT' to him....can he elevate? I sure think so

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges had that amazing stretch of offense in March, shot great, displayed a cagey mid-range game, averaged nearly 20 a game for a month straight, then, just like the rest of the team, the wheels came off towards the end of the year.

By the later part of the Mavs series he couldn't even find the rim on wide open looks.

The version of him we saw in March is a clear all-star, if he can get to that level with any consistency.
Yeah… he had a similar two week stretch two years ago also. The fact that those stretches are a… eh, who cares.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah… he had a similar two week stretch two years ago also. The fact that those stretches are a… eh, who cares.

I do think his hand was bothering him a lot more than he let on, watching games live, he was frequently shaking and holding it between plays.

I have little doubt that he went under the knife after the season.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude the 8 to 4 rebound advantage and 6 to 2 assist comp should be enough, but just having watched them there’s no comparison. Pippen could play point guard. Bridges would be an outright disaster at point.
Oh I'm there. Pippen may still be a top 50 player all time. He's definitely top 75.
Bridges is more of a supercharged Bruce Bowen than poor man's Pippen.
Agreed

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think his hand was bothering him a lot more than he let on, watching games live, he was frequently shaking and holding it between plays.

I have little doubt that he went under the knife after the season.
Yeah I saw it too plus you could see times when he'd hesitate to use the hand especially after a reach-in or having tipped a pass.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges is a 14/4 guy who is 25 years old and on most nights the 4th or 5th option on offense. He gets most of his touches cutting to the basket without plays called for him and still scores 14. We now he is a great defensive player.

On a team without Book, CP3, Ayton and even guys like Crowder, Cam J spotting up? I think Bridges is an 18 PPG a night player on another team. I could easily see him putting up Marion like numbers offensively with a different role. To me what separates Marion and Bridges is the rebounding and the raw athleticism.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right now, I'd say Bridges is a rich man's Tayshaun Prince, and that is a pretty damn good player. If his handles and/or his 3 point shooting improve he would be an All-Star.

And really, he doesn't even need to improve his shot, he just needs to get more willing to take it. He passes up too many good looks for a guy who shoots as well as he does.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
That doesn't change anything. You have to find a team that is looking for expired payroll. That's why it's so each to cherry pick players and assume that will work. Also, I didn't say anything about the value of picks. I was just responding to you about not having picks for 7 years. That's not how it works. You can only trade every other 1st rounder and the picks in between can only be swaps. In this case, the Nets have already traded away some of those picks in-between.
4 1st and 3 swaps, same thing taking the lowest 1st rd between the 2 in NBA drafts that tend to only be about 5-10 deep in actual talent for years is a joke and something that can only be made up by ignorant media pundits

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now, I'd say Bridges is a rich man's Tayshaun Prince, and that is a pretty damn good player. If his handles and/or his 3 point shooting improve he would be an All-Star.

And really, he doesn't even need to improve his shot, he just needs to get more willing to take it. He passes up too many good looks for a guy who shoots as well as he does.

Agreed.

Tayshaun Prince is probably the closest comparison for Mikal Bridges through 4 seasons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose