The Durant Sweepstakes

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phoenix isn't the only one calling. I mean there are stories all over the place with the Nets demanding ridiculous trade packages in return from other teams. The Nets are going to keep fielding calls and demanding a ridiculous price as long as they can. The Nets don't owe Durant a thing and are probably convinced that if another good team calls they can convince him to play there. It's a giant game of chicken right now. Sooner or later the Suns have to move on if this keeps up.
Move on to what exactly?

We aren't going to go after Mitchell, so I think this is about the only move out there that will significantly improve the team.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phoenix isn't the only one calling. I mean there are stories all over the place with the Nets demanding ridiculous trade packages in return from other teams. The Nets are going to keep fielding calls and demanding a ridiculous price as long as they can. The Nets don't owe Durant a thing and are probably convinced that if another good team calls they can convince him to play there. It's a giant game of chicken right now. Sooner or later the Suns have to move on if this keeps up.
I disagree.

I don’t care about the stories where the Nets are calling a team and demanding something stupid and getting laughed off the phone.

Nobody is going to trade for him if they think he doesn’t wanna play for their team. That eliminates almost the entire league.

Wait them out, whatever the best offer they will get they have almost certainly already received.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It was hilariously impractical to set the expectations as a Anthony Davis level haul for a 34 year old coming off of serious issues. If Durant were 24, then hell yeah, give them Ayton/Bridges/Johnson.

Overpromising on a KD return isn't going to make up for the bad Houston trade, and will likely only put Marks in a worse position, especially if KD has narrowed his list to one team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree.

I don’t care about the stories where the Nets are calling a team and demanding something stupid and getting laughed off the phone phone.

Nobody is going to trade for him if they think he doesn’t wanna play for their team. That eliminates almost the entire league.

Wait them out, whatever the best offer they will get they have almost certainly already received.

Kawhi Leonard didn't want to play in Toronto although the situations are different. Leonard was an expiring contract and Durant is signed for four years.

Still I don't think it would be a situation like Ben Simmons if Durant went to the Raptors.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
The talking heads talk about how much you have to give for a player of KD's stature but nobody mentions that he'll be 34 entering the season and 37 at the end of his contract.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree.

I don’t care about the stories where the Nets are calling a team and demanding something stupid and getting laughed off the phone phone.

Totally agree.

In my opinion Nets are going to trade him to us or Miami, or they are keeping him - which seems doubtful to me. I don't think any other teams are really in play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Nets hadn't traded for Royce O'Neale, a Suns trade offer with Jae Crowder included would look a lot more attractive.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if we do get KD can someone just make new thread??

You guys are killing me.. I would see a new post and get excited but after I comb through each new post there is no news of us getting KD. Giving me hope and then letting me down by kicking me in the nutz..=(

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Nets hadn't traded for Royce O'Neale, a Suns trade offer with Jae Crowder included would look a lot more attractive.

The Nets don’t give a damn about Crowder or any role player.

They want picks or stars

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nets don’t give a damn about Crowder or any role player.

They want picks or stars

I understand but the Nets traded a 1st round pick for Royce O'Neale. Crowder would have been sort of a substitute.

O'Neale is a role player.

Looking at the measurements on O'Neale, I can't help but think the Suns want Wainright to turn into a similar player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The talking heads talk about how much you have to give for a player of KD's stature but nobody mentions that he'll be 34 entering the season and 37 at the end of his contract.
Or that a 34 year old might not age well following an achilles repair. Honestly, I think when it's looked back upon, 4 picks with filler contracts might be looked at as a steal for the Nets. They took a huge risk giving him that deal and any team that trades for him will be assuming that risk for them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree.

I don’t care about the stories where the Nets are calling a team and demanding something stupid and getting laughed off the phone.

That's not what the stories are. The stories are teams are calling the Nets. It would be ludicrous not to believe that's true. The Nets are going to see what they can do to maximize what they can get for him. They would be stupid not to try. I am sure there are teams that think they can convince him to come play for them. That doesn't mean it's realistic or that KD wants to play with said team. Teams are 100% calling for KD other than the Suns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's not what the stories are. The stories are teams are calling the Nets. It would be ludicrous not to believe that's true. The Nets are going to see what they can do to maximize what they can get for him. They would be stupid not to try. I am sure there are teams that think they can convince him to come play for them. That doesn't mean it's realistic or that KD wants to play with said team. Teams are 100% calling for KD other than the Suns.

I think the Nets are probably calling everyone and making insane pitches in an effort to create a competitive market but IMO, a competitive market does not exist.

If Durant's list is the Suns and Heat then he will be traded to the Suns or Heat... or the Nets will roll the dice and see if they can fix the relationship. I cannot think of a single time a star player has been traded to a team they didn't want to play for.

I find the Raptor talk particularly unrealistic. It's almost impossible to imagine them getting the pieces together for a trade and coming out of it looking like a contender. Their fans also cheered when Durant tore his achillies... I doubt he has forgotten that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Nets are probably calling everyone and making insane pitches in an effort to create a competitive market but IMO, a competitive market does not exist.

If Durant's list is the Suns and Heat then he will be traded to the Suns or Heat... or the Nets will roll the dice and see if they can fix the relationship. I cannot think of a single time a star player has been traded to a team they didn't want to play for.

I find the Raptor talk particularly unrealistic. It's almost impossible to imagine them getting the pieces together for a trade and coming out of it looking like a contender. Their fans also cheered when Durant tore his achillies... I doubt he has forgotten that.
The market has been shrinking for him since the start of FA. I think the Nets are trying to get teams to work together to work out a 3 way trade. It's the only way they will get anything close to what they are asking and even then, it won't be close. The Nets are delusional.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The market has been shrinking for him since the start of FA. I think the Nets are trying to get teams to work together to work out a 3 way trade. It's the only way they will get anything close to what they are asking and even then, it won't be close. The Nets are delusional.

I'd like to know what James Jones has on the table in trade.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yeah, it's really disappointing listening to local radio hype

make no mistake, their business (and bonus, i'm sure) is based on attracting listeners, and Durant's star power does exactly that -- whether it's pre or post trade. More listeners if Durant does great in phx and more if he sucks and is controversial. They're fans too, but short term business is always a priority, so they're less worried about how things would play out from 2 to 10 years from now.

god knows if it wasn't for the Durant "sweepstakes" i wouldn't have subjected myself to a 72-Sold ad every 10 minutes

Last edited:

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bridges just gives me Pippen vibes...notthe same player but he's got that potential. You just know he's gone if we land KD kinda selling our souls
But hey that's freaking KD man!

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
at this point Phx just needs to lean on the fact that KD wants to be here. No Bridges and I am even on the fence about Johnson. Basically i would offer filler (Crowder/Payne/Shamet/Craig/Saric) and 2-3 1st. I am one of the biggest DA bashers out here but the thought of trading away DA/Bridges/Johnson + no picks for 7 years is a joke for 34 year old

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
at this point Phx just needs to lean on the fact that KD wants to be here. No Bridges and I am even on the fence about Johnson. Basically i would offer filler (Crowder/Payne/Shamet/Craig/Saric) and 2-3 1st. I am one of the biggest DA bashers out here but the thought of trading away DA/Bridges/Johnson + no picks for 7 years is a joke for 34 year old
I was listening to Woj. The problem is KD is not saying he won't play next season if a trade can't be worked out. So, that takes a ton of pressure off the Nets. He seemed to indicate they are OK with letting KD play on his existing contract. In contrast, he is saying that he has talked to teams and the hesitation is trading away the bank and not having enough to win a title after getting KD.

No question I trade Cam for KD. Not even a hesitation there. I don't want to give up Bridges, but I wouldn't say no there either. It's easy to throw in Crowder, Payne, Shamet, Craig & Saric but at the end of the day many teams may not want those players including the Nets. Also, that's not how picks work. We wouldn't have no picks for 7 years. Some of those would be pick swaps but I think the Nets traded away a bunch of those already.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just curious how many of you would rather make a smaller move for Bogdanovich or Clarkson which could leave our roster mostly intact.

I have to admit if we can acquire one of them without giving away all our younger players and all our draft picks it isn't a horrible idea.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many of you would rather make a smaller move for Bogdanovich or Clarkson which could leave our roster mostly intact.

I have to admit if we can acquire one of them without giving away all our younger players and all our draft picks it isn't a horrible idea.
I wouldn't be very interested in either player. I'm not so sure why either of them are thought so highly of here. Average offensive weapons, below average defenders. For the right price, and assuming he had the right attitude, Clarkson would be a nice scoring punch off the bench but he doesn't stop forcing up shots when his shot is off so there's risk.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah… I’d rather like to see us make a guy like Gordon and someone like Kyle Kuzma to shore up the squad… unless KD could be had for just bridges and picks. Then it’s a no brainer for me.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You might convince me the acusition of a Clarkson/Kuzma would be a better solution to giving up the farm for Durant.

The Dallas series showed us that when Cam Payne is bad, we're desperately in need of another creator. I hope something is done on that front. Kuz would be an upgrade to Crowder.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bridges just gives me Pippen vibes...notthe same player but he's got that potential. You just know he's gone if we land KD kinda selling our souls
But hey that's freaking KD man!
Pippen had handles and could create his own shot. Also he could score at will. Three things thar separate a role player at that position from a star.