The Durant Sweepstakes

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think their rumored package requirement put an end to most trade talks. Just guessing but I think teams will soon go about their business of filling out their rosters and the Nets will start the season with Durant. If he shows that his postseason play was a fluke, they'll be able to get closer to their demands in a mid-season trade.

I think KD is still an elite scorer but he can no longer punish double teams like he used to and his defense is no longer elite. Add in his injuries, games missed over the past 8 seasons and the fact he'll start the season as a 34 year old and the Nets IMO will either have to keep him or lower their asking price by more than 50%.
NBA GM's aren't idiots (for the most part). Sometimes they will gamble for a chance at a championship now because some fans are so demanding--Lakers, Nets, and Knicks. But I am not sure any GM is going to want to put out that much for Durant. He is aging and he had an Achilles rupture--which is more often than not career-ending for older players.

It will be interesting to see what offer sheet Ayton gets. We have not seen the Suns say "we will match whatever he gets." When McD did that, his purpose was to discourage offers but it really alienated the player. I would guess the Suns are encouraging offers in the hopes that they get a good sign and trade offer. If not, you have to match. You cannot let an asset like that walk. If they want to trade him, they can match and then move him at the trade deadline.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
NBA GM's aren't idiots (for the most part). Sometimes they will gamble for a chance at a championship now because some fans are so demanding--Lakers, Nets, and Knicks. But I am not sure any GM is going to want to put out that much for Durant. He is aging and he had an Achilles rupture--which is more often than not career-ending for older players.

It will be interesting to see what offer sheet Ayton gets. We have not seen the Suns say "we will match whatever he gets." When McD did that, his purpose was to discourage offers but it really alienated the player. I would guess the Suns are encouraging offers in the hopes that they get a good sign and trade offer. If not, you have to match. You cannot let an asset like that walk. If they want to trade him, they can match and then move him at the trade deadline.
Yeah this, i dont think DA is all that a lot of media seem to think. Its funny how the media was crapping on management about not extending a max to DA last year and again this year. Now with nobody offering, they dont seem to think he has much trade value. DA, Bridges, Cam & 4 1st and 3 swaps for Durant tells me DA ain't worth much. 4 Years 80M is what the Suns should offer, if he wants a Max after that he can prove by making an all NBA team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns need to go about their business as well as Nets are in no hurry to trade Durant and move off an historic asking price.

Time to concentrate on Deandre Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah this, i dont think DA is all that a lot of media seem to think. Its funny how the media was crapping on management about not extending a max to DA last year and again this year. Now with nobody offering, they dont seem to think he has much trade value. DA, Bridges, Cam & 4 1st and 3 swaps for Durant tells me DA ain't worth much. 4 Years 80M is what the Suns should offer, if he wants a Max after that he can prove by making an all NBA team.
It wasn't just the media. It was other basketball FO's that were sharing their feelings and most fans. Also, I don't think ANYBODY is saying he has no trade value. That doesn't seem be the case at all. It's that teams likely don't think paying a Center the way the game is played today is worth a MAX contract. Ayton's team put that out there that they would expect nothing less. That's why teams are balking. That isn't the same thing as saying he doesn't have much trade value.

I guarantee if Ayton's camp put out there today that they would except 20 to 25 million per? The Suns phones would be ringing off the hook.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The league drew a line in the sand on this after McD did it several years ago, no more public comments about matching. I assume that's still the case today. But even so, they can still make it clear to GMs - we just wouldn't hear about it except second hand.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
regardless of your stand on Durant, i think if it's still at a stand-still tomorrow it's time to make plans without him. The Nets and the media have wildly over-rated Durant's value at this stage in his career. Let the Warriors or Heat gut their team on the gamble.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would say make them our best offer and tell them if that’s not good enough pound sand. You want to be stuck with an unruly superstar because your not being reasonable that’s on you! Not a huge fan of Ayton and his lazy play but we shouldn’t give him away either. Durant without hitting the team sounds great but not gutting the team for years to do it! Hire that these rumors come out and get everyone excited only to be squashed by unreasonable demands.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns need to go about their business as well as Nets are in no hurry to trade Durant and move off an historic asking price.

Time to concentrate on Deandre Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
What moves are the Nets making that "signals" this? I have not seen them do any moves at all that would kill trades. I have not seen them make any major moves either that would signal to KD we are going to get you some major help. This sounds like posturing to me by the Nets IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What moves are the Nets making that "signals" this? I have not seen them do any moves at all that would kill trades. I have not seen them make any major moves either that would signal to KD we are going to get you some major help. This sounds like posturing to me by the Nets IMO.

It may be posturing by the Nets but they are acting like they are willing to go forward with Irving and Durant. They have added or keeping Royce O'Neale, Patty Mills, TJ Warren and Edmond Sumner.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be posturing by the Nets but they are acting like they are willing to go forward with Irving and Durant. They have added or keeping Royce O'Neale, Patty Mills, TJ Warren and Edmond Sumner.
If I am KD none of those moves screams we are winning it now. That's all I am saying.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I am KD none of those moves screams we are winning it now. That's all I am saying.

Yes, I agree but the Nets front office is going to take the public stance they are willing to run it back with Irving and Durant no matter how unlikely.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
in that clip, Colin makes great points about all the recent busts with stars who have moved around and the importance of chemistry

he's also on target with saying phx is the best destination for KD because he's not a leader and we've already got Paul for that. but he's still talking about giving up too much for KD, who he labels just an "enhancer" and is not going to be a real chemistry guy on or off the court

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
regardless of your stand on Durant, i think if it's still at a stand-still tomorrow it's time to make plans without him. The Nets and the media have wildly over-rated Durant's value at this stage in his career. Let the Warriors or Heat gut their team on the gamble.
His value isn’t the issue it’s teams being told by Rich Kleiman that KD doesn’t want to play for them. If there weren’t any restrictions by KD he would’ve already been traded for a massive haul. Teams aren’t going to mortgage their future if the attraction isn’t mutual. I don’t see the Suns trading all 3 youngins plus the picks if they’re bidding vs themselves.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
His value isn’t the issue it’s teams being told by Rich Kleiman that KD doesn’t want to play for them. If there weren’t any restrictions by KD he would’ve already been traded for a massive haul. Teams aren’t going to mortgage their future if the attraction isn’t mutual. I don’t see the Suns trading all 3 youngins plus the picks if they’re bidding vs themselves.

yes, an important point. "mutual attraction" gives us more leverage than is being publicly acknowledged. and if i were the Nets, i can't be optimistic about what he's going to give them after the way they finished their season.

hell, no one's calling it like it is in Jersey. because just like us, they've got their own season choke, 2 disgruntled superstars (compared to our 1 disgruntled star), and they HAVE to plan for their future! We could still go either way.

also, Colin pointed out that turned-off Nets fans tuned out last season!
yeah, they're knee deep in cow-patties

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
yes, an important point. "mutual attraction" gives us more leverage than is being publicly acknowledged. and if i were the Nets, i can't be optimistic about what he's going to give them after the way they finished their season.

hell, no one's calling it like it is in Jersey. because just like us, they've got their own season choke, 2 disgruntled superstars (compared to our 1 disgruntled star), and they HAVE to plan for their future! We could still go either way.

also, Colin pointed out that turned-off Nets fans tuned out last season!
yeah, they're knee deep in cow-patties
Media is putting a ton of value for the Nets on his 4 year contract - all that gaurantees is that he will get paid the next 4 years. He can just show up and be a stat padder caring less if they win or not. Deep down he and the GM knows that the Nets are not built to win

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
It wasn't just the media. It was other basketball FO's that were sharing their feelings and most fans. Also, I don't think ANYBODY is saying he has no trade value. That doesn't seem be the case at all. It's that teams likely don't think paying a Center the way the game is played today is worth a MAX contract. Ayton's team put that out there that they would expect nothing less. That's why teams are balking. That isn't the same thing as saying he doesn't have much trade value.

I guarantee if Ayton's camp put out there today that they would except 20 to 25 million per? The Suns phones would be ringing off the hook.
All those Front Offices who have offered squat? Pretty sure the Suns would take 2-3 1st and a couple expiring contracts they can use for a trade. Everyone knows that DA does not pass the eye test and will struggle to reach the numbers he had in Phx being a 3rd or 4th wheel

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All those Front Offices who have offered squat? Pretty sure the Suns would take 2-3 1st and a couple expiring contracts they can use for a trade. Everyone knows that DA does not pass the eye test and will struggle to reach the numbers he had in Phx being a 3rd or 4th wheel
The rumors have been consistent that teams are interested in Ayton but just not at the Max price. That doesn't mean he has no value. At the start if Ayton's camp said they would take 20 to 25 million I am sure the Suns would have had no problems moving him. Now with all the team's transactions that is more difficult because some teams would now have to likely be involved in a 3 way trade to clear cap space.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rumors have been consistent that teams are interested in Ayton but just not at the Max price. That doesn't mean he has no value. At the start if Ayton's camp said they would take 20 to 25 million I am sure the Suns would have had no problems moving him. Now with all the team's transactions that is more difficult because some teams would now have to likely be involved in a 3 way trade to clear cap space.

If Ayton would have accepted $20-25 million annually I'm sure the Suns would have signed him last summer.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The problem is Ayton's camp believe the Suns used Ayton to help the team instead of him. Witch they did. But he is not worth the max yet..Yet they want the Max