The Durant Sweepstakes

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we really want to trade half our team and picks away for a 33 year old player that has only played a total of 35 games the last two seasons due to injuries?

(of course, I am glad to have been wrong about the Chris Paul trade, but this seems different)

Would just hate to lose Bridges or any of these guys that have been with us since dominating the bubble. A solid group to keep building on rather than going for the next bright shiny object.
Depends on the half.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It makes one wonder if the trade offers for Durant are as good as being reported.

I think the Nets are playing this right.
They gave him everything he wanted and now they’d be fools to cave. He’s under contract and doesn’t really hold any leverage.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They gave him everything he wanted and now they’d be fools to cave. He’s under contract and doesn’t really hold any leverage.
Only Caveat, no one worth his weight in salt will ever sign with NJ again if they dick KD around.
Almost ALL active players are behind him , Shaq and the sad sack crew give him crap because they didn't think of it first.
OH WAIT THEY DID.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seems like the only way to escalate this from here.
KD should scare the life out of them and show up for training camp in a full body cast.
Have Booker wheel him out there Hannibal Lecter style.

Sometimes saying "I don't want to be here, I hate you all and this city and wish you were all dead" just isn't enough to get the point across.
SMH

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I disagree. While I agree with the sentiment, I don't believe you want to piss off every other superstar in the league. Those are the exact same superstars they hope to sign in the future.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is what I was referring too. NBA Executives think KD's actions could lower the asking price.

"There is a growing belief among rival teams that Durant knew when he issued that me-or-them ultimatum that Tsai had no intention of yielding to the request and firing Marks and Nash. One resultant theory that the Durant/Tsai meeting spawned is the idea KD has begun trying to manufacture as much behind-the-scenes discord as he can in hopes that it will lead the Nets to lower their asking price and trade him out of exasperation."

Um. Yeah. What KD did was worse for the team than just not showing up to play. By demanding the firing of the coach and GM, he created turmoil that can only be resolved with trading him. Even firing the coach and GM would not be a solution if they were so inclined.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not wondering.

If Jalen Brown had actually been offered that deal would have already happened.

Another possibility is Jaylen Brown told the Nets he wouldn't re-sign with them if traded there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There is a lesson in that for teams that trade away promising young players for declining vets.
Well they didn’t trade “promising young players” for Garnett. They traded draft picks used to select those guys. I’m sure if they knew what those picks would become they wouldn’t have been so quick to trade them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is Jaylen Brown told the Nets he wouldn't re-sign with them if traded there.

Jaylen was blindsided by being in a trade proposal. He didn't relay anything to the Nets, the Nets wanted Jaylen and more so Boston walked away. Now Jaylen is upset Boston wanted to deal him.

He's got 2 years left on his deal, which isn't even a max deal, he'll play out his contract wherever in hopes of getting a huge deal after his current contract is finished. I don't see him rocking any boats until then because he hasn't earned that much in his career yet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have doubts that Brown was included in any trade proposals at all. It could have been the Nets reaching out to the Celtics, asking for Jaylen Brown, Celtics say no and hang up.

Media: Jaylen Brown part of trade proposal between Celtics and Nets! Film at 11!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaylen was blindsided by being in a trade proposal. He didn't relay anything to the Nets, the Nets wanted Jaylen and more so Boston walked away. Now Jaylen is upset Boston wanted to deal him.

He's got 2 years left on his deal, which isn't even a max deal, he'll play out his contract wherever in hopes of getting a huge deal after his current contract is finished. I don't see him rocking any boats until then because he hasn't earned that much in his career yet.
It's very feasible they offered Jaylen. The Boston Globe ran a story saying that Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens and coach Ime Udoka have also been in constant communication with Brown, who understands the situation according to Boston Globe's Himmelsbach. That certainly doesn't sound like he was never offered. Since then they have had multiple opportunities to deny the reports and have not.

Also, sounds like it's a potential money issue for Boston as well and in recent years have tried to avoid the luxury tax. Sounds like they are willing in the short term to go for it but doesn't sound like they want to be in the luxury tax long term. Brown is eligible for an extension this year and some feel Brown won't resign without getting the money he wants. He is looking for three-year, $111 million contract extension. Plus, if he makes any All-NBA teams over the next two seasons he is eligible for a five-year, $273 million contract with the Celtics when he becomes a free agent in 2024.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking out loud.

If Jaylen Brown is not on the table for Durant and neither is Mikal Bridges, the next available star caliber player might be Tyrese Maxey of the 76ers. The trouble is they could only attach one first round pick in 2029. The 76ers could also include Matisse Thybulle who might be worth a first round pick.

However, the Nets may not want to trade within the conference and see Durant for the next four seasons. This also could put the 76ers over the top as a contender. I'm not sure the Nets would like this, however, it lets them compete immediately.

See trade below.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2zjzlyju

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's very feasible they offered Jaylen. The Boston Globe ran a story saying that Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens and coach Ime Udoka have also been in constant communication with Brown, who understands the situation according to Boston Globe's Himmelsbach. That certainly doesn't sound like he was never offered. Since then they have had multiple opportunities to deny the reports and have not.

Also, sounds like it's a potential money issue for Boston as well and in recent years have tried to avoid the luxury tax. Sounds like they are willing in the short term to go for it but doesn't sound like they want to be in the luxury tax long term. Brown is eligible for an extension this year and some feel Brown won't resign without getting the money he wants. He is looking for three-year, $111 million contract extension. Plus, if he makes any All-NBA teams over the next two seasons he is eligible for a five-year, $273 million contract with the Celtics when he becomes a free agent in 2024.
Huh? Assuming that the coach and GM are in "constant communication" with Brown could also mean they are because they want to assuage him that such an offer wasn't made. You are only assuming and speculating. And they have denied the reports.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Assuming that the coach and GM are in "constant communication" with Brown could also mean they are because they want to assuage him that such an offer wasn't made. You are only assuming and speculating. And they have denied the reports.
You are also speculating it never happened. It's not like Boston will admit it any more than the Suns will Admit they were trying to trade Ayton. Come on now. I am only saying it makes sense considering the way Boston has handled there overall cap dollars and local media thinks it did happen. Do you have a link to anything denying it? I have not seen anything.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You are also speculating it never happened. It's not like Boston will admit it any more than the Suns will Admit they were trying to trade Ayton. Come on now. I am only saying it makes sense considering the way Boston has handled there overall cap dollars and local media thinks it did happen. Do you have a link to anything denying it? I have not seen anything.
If there is no definitive proof of something happening, then the only conclusion is that something didn't. That's basic logic. If you believe the media, then that's fine. I don't, considering how over the top nuts the media has been this year -- and not just in sports.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is no definitive proof of something happening, then the only conclusion is that something didn't. That's basic logic. If you believe the media, then that's fine. I don't, considering how over the top nuts the media has been this year -- and not just in sports.
I believe where their is smoke there is fire. I believe in what I have seen in the past which is teams very very rarely admit to shopping players. So, do you have a credible news source quoting the team denying the reports? I just looked. I found nothing like that other than fan blogs or Tweets.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well they didn’t trade “promising young players” for Garnett. They traded draft picks used to select those guys. I’m sure if they knew what those picks would become they wouldn’t have been so quick to trade them.
It did kind of work out for the Nets. They had a few years where they were terrible without having high lottery picks but then built a super team immediately after through free agency and trades.

They really could've won the championship last year too.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
More "smoke" about Jaylen Brown. So, this report has the Heat and Boston working together. Basically, if Boston is looking at longer term salary it helps them and they get rent a KG until that contract is up. Heat lands Jaylen and the Nets end up getting more picks in the deal. This seems to lineup with earlier reports Boston looking at the longer term salary impacts with Brown.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA