The Dreaded Writer's Strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Nice try at polishing that turd.

Understanding and intelligence does not make your ethical pause any more noble.

If capitalizing on the situation helps you provide for your family, more power to you. Attempting to justify your actions makes you look even more slimey.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into a debate over unions, not in this thread, not in any other. But this logic is a bit silly. If we're going to commend the financial risk-taker for being shrewd, we should also commend the shrewd artisan that knows where his or her leverage is. Unions work when they maximize all their leverage. Holding union benefits over the head of would-be line-crossers is good business. I don't know how else one could view it, especially in the high-end entertainment industry where "making a living" is defined most elsewhere as "making a killing."

And I'm not suggesting anyone is doing that here. In fact, it was delivered as a concerned warning, not as an inciting threat.

Writers are some of the most underpaid talent in the industry compared to their bountiful creative contribution to a multi-billion dollar industry. The number of big earners is small, and most everyone who did make it to the semi-good life of syndication and big development deals ate garbage before they got there. I know more than a few. I was not willing to take the risks they did as young people to get where they are now. Now, a few them are head-scratchers -- I write better stuff in an e-mail to my wife than they do for their big-dollar projects -- but I won't deny they worked their butts off to get where they are.

So when I suggest I'm considering taking advantage of an available opportunity, I don't do it without the understanding that I never paid the dues the union writers did. Capitalizing on it ... causes me to take a pregnant, ethical pause.

Gad, if you choose to go forward (I'm glad you're not seeing this as a threat, cause it's not - it IS concern), make as much money as you can fast, because once the strike is over, the Union will NEVER let you in and most show-runners WILL hold a grudge, limiting your employment chances.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheese, do you see the strike going on much past december when the scripts start running dry and Farmer Wants a Wife and the ilk are splashed all over primetime?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cheese, do you see the strike going on much past december when the scripts start running dry and Farmer Wants a Wife and the ilk are splashed all over primetime?

Farmer Wants a Wife is coming whether you want it to or not.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think anything serious even begins to happen until January when there's literally no new content to put on the air. They'll have produced shows until then... for most of the networks. Then, if it doesn't happen in January or early February, it'll go till summer. Yup, that's right, I think the producers will basically tell the WGA to screw off with an upcoming DGA and SAG strike four months away and wait for Armaggedon.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anything serious even begins to happen until January when there's literally no new content to put on the air. They'll have produced shows until then... for most of the networks. Then, if it doesn't happen in January or early February, it'll go till summer. Yup, that's right, I think the producers will basically tell the WGA to screw off with an upcoming DGA and SAG strike four months away and wait for Armaggedon.

Is this completely screwing your pilot show? I mean, does this basically make it dead in the water? I know how hard it is to get a pilot screened, much less into production. Do you think it will be scrapped after this blows over or does the fact that they will want to be up and running with stuff ASAP mean your show is more likely to be picked up?

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this completely screwing your pilot show? I mean, does this basically make it dead in the water? I know how hard it is to get a pilot screened, much less into production. Do you think it will be scrapped after this blows over or does the fact that they will want to be up and running with stuff ASAP mean your show is more likely to be picked up?

PROBABLY closer to the latter, but it's Hollywood where no one knows anything.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
New Yorker:

Quote:
POSTCARD FROM LOS ANGELES

November 06, 2007

Strike Notes

I was sitting at lunch with a TV-writer friend on Sunday when his strike assignment arrived on his BlackBerry: four hours, the following day, over the hill in Burbank. He had spent the previous evening grimly reading Joan Didion’s account, in “After Henry,” of the twenty-two-week writers’ strike in 1988, which, according to the L.A. Times, cost the industry about five hundred million dollars. As Didion saw it, the strike “was about respect, and about whether the people who made the biggest money were or were not going to give a little to the people who made the less big money.”

Most people think that this strike will last six months, and that, as before, the writers will not win. People are wondering if, during those months, the loss of biodiversity will bring about the total, irreversible dominance of the nutrient-choking algae of reality TV.

I just spoke to my friend. He and about a hundred other writers were attempting to disrupt the shooting of “Desperate Housewives” by shouting “Shut it down!” and “We write the storia / For Eva Longoria!” Then Longoria had pizza delivered for the strikers.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
disrupt the shooting of “Desperate Housewives” by shouting “Shut it down!” and “We write the storia / For Eva Longoria!” Then Longoria had pizza delivered for the strikers.

That's cool of that little shrimp to do that. Well, I guess she'll be joining them soon enough.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gad, if you choose to go forward (I'm glad you're not seeing this as a threat, cause it's not - it IS concern), make as much money as you can fast, because once the strike is over, the Union will NEVER let you in and most show-runners WILL hold a grudge, limiting your employment chances.

Apparently the choice to wait was just made for me. Instead of being forwarded to mgt., my specs were sent to a writer who e-mailed me this morning saying he thought they had the "right timbre and sense of humor." I guess we'll pick up after the strike. No idea.

In my best Coolio impression, "So I got that going for me."

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like anyone wants to see Cheese's pilot anyway!

nothing like actually hoping ill will on something that actually affects someone's career/life! Seriously, if you started a thread about possibly losing your job, as little as I think of you as a person, I'd NEVER actually make a joke about something that could negatively affect your life/career. That's just in incredibly poor taste.

Last edited:

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
let's just say if I seem especially edgy in the upcoming weeks (even more so than usual), you'll know why. I ain't a happy camper right now.

nothing like actually hoping ill will on something that actually affects someone's career/life! Seriously, if you started a thread about possibly losing your job, as little as I think of you as a person, I'd NEVER actually make a joke about something that could negatively affect your life/career. That's just in incredibly poor taste.

:thumbup:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever, cheese is up my ass all the time and I throw a little back at him and you all get upset. What a crock I never said I wanted cheese to lose his job. And in previously discussed movie threads from cheeses taste in movies or tv I have no desire as I am sure some of you have to see his pilot. Does that mean I don't want him to be able to make it or lose his job? Relax people taking things way to serious.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever, cheese is up my ass all the time and I throw a little back at him and you all get upset. What a crock I never said I wanted cheese to lose his job. And in previously discussed movie threads from cheeses taste in movies or tv I have no desire as I am sure some of you have to see his pilot. Does that mean I don't want him to be able to make it or lose his job? Relax people taking things way to serious.

wow.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

just not good form. really poor taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman