The Dogma: There is a franchise QB but less home fans in stadium

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Then there are those fans that have season tickets and show up in Cardinals gear every week...until their "real team" comes to town. Then they are there but sporting their Dolphins or Browns or whatever other team's gear. Have seen plenty of this type of fan over the years. :|
I see that a lot too. But I can live with that. Besides fans selling their ST for the big games, I know a number of people who have 2 sets of ST's. They sell one set every game to offset the cost of their own tickets. They say they will sell them to Cardinals' fans but with the inflated price it is always the opposing team. They tell me when I start paying for their tickets I can tell them what to do with them.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I see that a lot too. But I can live with that. Besides fans selling their ST for the big games, I know a number of people who have 2 sets of ST's. They sell one set every game to offset the cost of their own tickets. They say they will sell them to Cardinals' fans but with the inflated price it is always the opposing team. They tell me when I start paying for their tickets I can tell them what to do with them.
Their Money their Choice. Winning or Losing is Cardinals choice.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No doubt that the Cardinals have the worst fanbase in the NFL. And I feel sorry for the real fans who support the team, win or lose. But it is the fanbase, who root for the team, "Win or Tie" that complain the most. "Hey, we've lost seven in a row at home, the team sucks". Gotta give credit to long time NFL franchises, like the Eagles, whose fans pay extra (probably more than the actual cost of the ticket) in order to support their team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wrote about this in heroes and goats, but the stadium experience is weirdly bloodless and lifeless. When the team is rolling that stadium has been super-fun. Now? The KC and PHI games seemed like Cards fans were outnumbered and the team on the field didn't give us a bunch of opportunites to get into it.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No doubt that the Cardinals have the worst fanbase in the NFL. And I feel sorry for the real fans who support the team, win or lose. But it is the fanbase, who root for the team, "Win or Tie" that complain the most. "Hey, we've lost seven in a row at home, the team sucks". Gotta give credit to long time NFL franchises, like the Eagles, whose fans pay extra (probably more than the actual cost of the ticket) in order to support their team.

You would be very surprised of fans of regularly winning teams, or teams that have had success that are far, far, far worse on their message boards alone. The talk on these boards is child's play in comparison.

Eagles are probably the worst comparison, they are certainly known to be one the worst, especially at home.

AZ (and close to LA) is a hodgepodge of people so there will always be a huge mix of fans here and not always a reflection of the fans at home.

AZ sports suck and they always have. At what point do the fans deserve better? I say a long time ago. Complacency is not the answer.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've come down hard on this in the past. Especially for the Green Bay game last year where we were 7-0 and in a contenders game at home and the stadium was full of green and yellow. That was a disappointing show because the team earned better support.
Exactly. Too many people say "If the team wins then the fans will show up. They won't sell their seats." Not the case.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Exactly. Too many people say "If the team wins then the fans will show up. They won't sell their seats." Not the case.
Because our "success" only is a year or two at a time and mostly in the past 15 years. Inbetween those "success" years, we get the Cards of yesteryear.

There's NEVER been any kind of semi sustained success. Cardinals have one of the worst winning % in NFL history and one of the fewest playoff appearances as well. Who wants to willingly CHOOSE a loser?

AZ is a hodgepodge of people that pulls from all over, that's another hurdle.

How bout those Suns last year? How many fans they pick up? How long till they go back to the basement?

We had 11 wins last year and a playoff appearance. Why aren't we all happy about it, right guys?

We should be celebrating off rooftops that we had double digit wins and a playoffs appearance, right guys?

Why are we not getting all these fans, we made all those touchdowns and won a lot of games, why are people still laughing at us, right guys? Where's all these new fans? I don't get it. Why aren't fans paying hundreds of dollars for the pleasure of watching and being a fan of this team? It makes no sense!!!!!!!

Fans deserve better. Im sick of complacency.

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a season ticket holder for 20 years. Kids grew up and they became young adults and had their own activities. Went through a divorce. Priorities change. And to kill a whole Sunday from 9:30 am - 6:30 pm driving to and from and attending the game, just isn't for me anymore.

I'll "enjoy" the game from 1:25-5:15 on Sundays and be able to do other things that are also important in my life - my new wife, lol, gym, hobbies, etc.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a season ticket holder for 20 years. Kids grew up and they became young adults and had their own activities. Went through a divorce. Priorities change. And to kill a whole Sunday from 9:30 am - 6:30 pm driving to and from and attending the game, just isn't for me anymore.

I'll "enjoy" the game from 1:25-5:15 on Sundays and be able to do other things that are also important in my life - my new wife, lol, gym, hobbies, etc.
We left around 12 PM from Mesa and the game was over just after 4 PM. Helps that we don't drink or tailgate, I suppose.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We left around 12 PM from Mesa and the game was over just after 4 PM. Helps that we don't drink or tailgate, I suppose.
Yeah but we stood in the parking lot for an hour waiting to get out of the Green Lot. We weren’t back in Tempe until 6:30 or later.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What time do you typically head out to the games?
Usually, two hours before game time give or take a few minutes. We've been really early to some games - like over an hour on the pregame clock on the Jumbotron, but usually, we get there a few minutes before the anthem. We always stay well past the end of the game. Walk the lower bowl and listen to the excuses in the postgame pressers.

Yesterday was a weird day and we had to turn around and park our SUV at home due to a bad alternator issue. Got a quick ride to the stadium from a friend and missed the first part of the first quarter. 7-0 when we got there. Had a friend pick us up at the Cracker Barrel closer to 6 PM so traffic would be lighter for him.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Usually, two hours before game time give or take a few minutes. We've been really early to some games - like over an hour on the pregame clock on the Jumbotron, but usually, we get there a few minutes before the anthem. We always stay well past the end of the game. Walk the lower bowl and listen to the excuses in the postgame pressers.

Yesterday was a weird day and we had to turn around and park our SUV at home due to a bad alternator issue. Got a quick ride to the stadium from a friend and missed the first part of the first quarter. 7-0 when we got there. Had a friend pick us up at the Cracker Barrel closer to 6 PM so traffic would be lighter for him.

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So if this continues, Bidwills have to find another city right? Don't @ time, they are in their third city already #FACTS

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am a fan of the Cardinals. Have been for a long time. Can't afford to go to the games but I watch them on the TV. Have a few hats, a few jerseys, even some guitar picks with the logo that I have picked up through the years.
If someone doesn't like my criticism and deems me NOT a fan. Guess what? I couldn't care less.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So if this continues, Bidwills have to find another city right? Don't @ time, they are in their third city already #FACTS
As long as the seats are filled I can't imagine that ownership really cares who their cheering for. Not really.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Twitter accounts say yesterday's eagles fan noise is something they have never seen at stadium...
That’s the way I felt. It always is bad unless it’s a real bottom feeder, but yesterday just felt extra.

Bonus: Flew out of town this morning and saw a ridiculous amount of people in Eagles gear. Hadn’t mentally prepared myself for that!

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m a Cardinals fan ever since they moved to the valley. Maybe a little before, but not particularly before the move. I don’t buy Cardinal stuff, but do have a couple of Cardinal items given to me as gifts (no jerseys or anything serious). I’ve only ever been to one Cardinals game (but boy, what a game and experience:D). I have only one team I root for (Cards) and no one else, normally. I try to watch all their games, but, for various reasons, sometimes don’t. I am a very, to me, “die hard” fan, just not one that spends money on them, or goes to their games. If I had the money or time or closeness of distance, I might be a little different. I just take the cheap and easy way out. And root for them from comfort and distance.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are not alone in that like it is some scarlet letter or something.

There is also the Cleveland, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Los Angeles Rams. Or the Oakland, Los Angeles, Oakland, Las Vegas Raiders.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
If I lived in the Valley I'd have season tickets and go to every game. I always enjoyed the live game day experience, used to go to 1-2 road games and 1 home game every year--when I lived in Memphis it was always an easy drive and tickets were cheap in St Louis.

The last game I went to live was the Vikings game in the Steve Wilks year. Life gets in the way now, between work, finances and all that stuff.
I am planning on retiring early next year. If I do indeed do that I'll be renewing my season tickets and be out to most games. The game day experience is just awesome to experience.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson