The Dark Knight Rises

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until it gets a title this will be the Batman VII thread.

Christian Bale is under contract to return as Bruce Wayne.

Everything else is up in the air. No storylines approved. No one else cast.

Christopher Nolan still hasn't officially signed on to make the film.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why make a thread at all? Sounds like a whole lot of nothing to talk abouot personally. :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why make a thread at all? Sounds like a whole lot of nothing to talk about personally. :D

C'mon. It WILL get made. There's plenty of speculation on which villains will be used, who will be cast as these characters, etc. :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Nolan doesn't make it, it won't be worth a crap.

Still haven't seen Dark Knight, but Batman Begins was the greatest reboot of a franchise I've ever seen. Completely destroyed all that came before, and cut to the heart of the Batman world.

Nolan is an incredible director. Memento is one of my favorite movies.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Nolan doesn't make it, it won't be worth a crap.

Still haven't seen Dark Knight, but Batman Begins was the greatest reboot of a franchise I've ever seen. Completely destroyed all that came before, and cut to the heart of the Batman world.

Nolan is an incredible director. Memento is one of my favorite movies.

He has said he's hesitant to make his third Batman film because the third movie is often the weakest (Superman III, The Godfather III, Batman Forever, etc).

I think it will get done but he's going to take his time and get it right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has said he's hesitant to make his third Batman film because the third movie is often the weakest (Superman III, The Godfather III, Batman Forever, etc).

this is industry speak for "you better give me all the money in the world or else you're gonna have a bomb on your hands" from Nolan. And you know what? I have no problem with that.

The Dark Knight was a masterpiece. Give the guy whatever he wants and he'll make a 3rd one that probably shatters Box Office Opening weekend records and probably pulls in 400 million plus. Nothing will ever rival the take from TDK because of the circumstances surrounding it, but I have no doubt that another Batman from this creative team will not only be great, but will be another guaranteed smash.

Donald - if you haven't seen The Dark Knight yet and loved Begins, I suggest you wait until they re-release TDK in the theaters in January. It's a big-big-big screen movie. One that works incredibly powerfully in the pitch-dark with a monsterous screen in front of you.

honestly, it's probably my favorite movie from the last 5-10 years. Let's put it this way, I actually bought the DVD the day it came out last tuesday. I haven't done that since.... well, probably 1990... when the first Batman was released. It's up there with action classics like Raiders and Star Wars IMO. It absolutely sets the bar and then transcends the comic book genre.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are both fan art, but awesome nonetheless.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude.... Someone said to me this morning that Eddie Murphy is up for the Riddler role.

Please say it aint so!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are both fan art, but awesome nonetheless.

That was based on some UK movie reviewer's wish list. He also said that Shia LaBeouf would be Robin even though there are no plans for Robin in Nolan's movies.

I would have posted this far sooner but I just now stopped laughing. The UK rag known as “The Sun” is such a source of reliable media and they bring us the newest tip: Eddie Murphy will play the Riddler in the Dark Knight sequel!

The Sun calls it an exclusive because they made it up!

"The Beverly Hills Cop star, 47, has been signed up by British director CHRISTOPHER NOLAN to reprise the role played by JIM CARREY in 1995’s Batman Forever.

Execs have also signed up rising Transformers star SHIA LABEOUF, 22, to play Robin. "

As if the news of Eddie Murphy wasn’t utterly ridiculous, but since Nolan already said that any Batman film he would be involved with wouldn’t include Robin. He also admitted that according to the timeline this franchise is set in, Robin would be an infant, so why would he cast a 22 year old?

This is just some ****** fantasy throwing out names pegged off on a dart board. Eddie can do fun silly Riddler, but I have yet to see him even a shred of serious in a role for decades. Besides, Nolan is likely to pick from the talent pool. People expect some obscure name, but I don’t think that’s his pattern. But he does choose substance over flash, and all Eddie has for flash is stories about his glory days.

So now that we had a good laugh we can forget about Eddie Murphy as Riddler and wait to see if Nolan is even going to use Riddler in the next film.

Personally, I think Brad Pitt would be a great Riddler, Twelve Monkey's style.

Kablansky

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Christopher Nolan has publically said he will never put Robin in the movies he does

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Nolan declines, they should rescue Darren Aronofsky before he does the RoboCop remake and ruins what has been an outstanding career. Aronofsky is the only guy I know who could top Nolan in creating brooding anti-heroes. I compare his movies to NyQuil nightmares ... dark, righteously blurry, and a heavy does of mania. And the camera would do a hell of a lot more than wide pans and tower shots over the cityscape.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see Nolan declining. I think he does one more.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope they are still making Batman movies when I am 100 years old, and that I am able to see them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see Nolan declining. I think he does one more.

it won't be a matter of declining.. it'll be a matter of money... and Nolan's gonna ask for buttload of it, as well he should. He's starting to lay claim to being the next James Cameron-esque filmmaker. I don't think he's quite the visionary that Cameron is (I'm REALLY interested to see what Avatar's gonna be like), but I see similarities in them both being able to make movies for a HUGE audience, while not having to sacrifice any intelligence in their work.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it won't be a matter of declining.. it'll be a matter of money... and Nolan's gonna ask for buttload of it, as well he should. He's this eras greatest movie-maker... films that works for a wide audience but are also incredibly smart.

I agree. He's also the only A-list filmmaker I know of who can get away with slower pacing, but it's his own rhythm that he imposes on all his films. He's not John Sayles slow, but he has his own trotting pace, sort of like Soderbergh. (Although even Soderbergh has picked up the pace in his studio films like the Danny Ocean series).

It's one of the things I find most interesting about him in light of MTV's rapid-fire influence on film editing. I guess our attention spans aren't really dead. We just needed someone to fill the screen with something interesting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. He's also the only A-list filmmaker I know of who can get away with slower pacing, but it's his own rhythm that he imposes on all his films. He's not John Sayles slow, but he has his own trotting pace, sort of like Soderbergh. (Although even Soderbergh has picked up the pace in his studio films like the Danny Ocean series).

It's one of the things I find most interesting about him in light of MTV's rapid-fire influence on film editing. I guess our attention spans aren't really dead. We just needed someone to fill the screen with something interesting.

yup.

I'd really like to see him do an original next. The Dark Knight is probably my favorite film of the last 5 years, but Memento and The Prestige were really, really solid cinema as well. Wasn't that big a fan of the Insomnia remake.

ah, who am I kidding? I'm dying to see what he comes up with next with Batman. get to it Chris!

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Blockbuster kid told me Johnny Depp will be the Riddler.

He does work in the movie business. :shrug:

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Riddler would need to be given a much better hook then his previous stuff.

Long Halloween would be something to start with, but would have to be scaled back.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across this.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am assuming that Gary Oldman would be the Riddler.

So he would cease being Commissioner Gordon and the audience is expected to believe he is now a completely different character as the Riddler? Who would play Gordon?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he would cease being Commissioner Gordon and the audience is expected to believe he is now a completely different character as the Riddler? Who would play Gordon?

Whoops, I forgot that. Sorry. Long weekend.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson