The Coyotes road to the 2013 Stanley Cup season thread

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ugh, terrible game for Yandle. He should be switched to forward if he would rather play up. First PP for the Hawks was on a terrible call on Doan sold by Bolland (hit in the chest, half a second later snaps his head back and gets the call), but them's the breaks. Yotes lose 6-4, and even though Emery was sloppy in goal for the Hawks, Smith wasn't any better.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely a rough start. I think Smith is going to struggle until the whole team gets its systems in place, unfortunately.

I am worried that there won't be enough time for that to happen, though. All teams have to struggle with that this year, but it seems to be more important for the Coyotes. I just don't know if there will be enough time to get them running in top gear so they could have another month like last February. :(

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the defense doesn't improve, this is going to be a long season. Smith let in three goals yesterday that he should of stopped.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
nice win last night and a hat trick for those who made it out

I just picked up tickets to the monday game against Nashville - looking at a family outing, will be the 1st time going to any such event with the kids (although we have had a failed spring training game and I had a successful AZ Fall League game with just my daughter)

Hoping for a good game and better interest on the kids part

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In my opinion, hockey is one of the better sports to see live. Your family will love it if they enjoy sports, or loud noises, or fights, or... :)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Heh ... I love live hockey, absolutely my favorite sport to see in person (and I watch a ton of it on the tube as well)

My wife has converted (which doesn't seem like it would have been difficult as she is from MN - but she did go through her formative years in that lost period post-northstars pre-wild)

Our little guy is still too young to really care, but may find it interesting ... he'll probably get restless and I fully anticipate spending some concourse time

My daughter is the wildcard - she's 3 ... which basically makes her a wildcard for everything right now, although generally does well ......... we picked her up from the sitter after a playoff game last year and she took the pom-pom started shaking it and howling ... when we see coyotes stuff in stores she gets excited and she'll watch a little bit on TV .... I think the whole scene of it, the fast pace of the game, the quick movement, the skating, the collisions will keep her interest

Last year we'd talk to parents who had kids about the same ages at the games and we have friend in MN who take theirs ... but it's always something we've felt a little questionable about .... everyone has said it's positive though

Last weeks open scrimmage would have been awesome as a free test - but I didn't see the e-mail until after dinner and by that time it was too late

i'm fairly positive things will go well and she'll have a blast and he wont feel the need to try and climb over everyone - she did awesome at the fall league game and when I took her to that she had just turned 2

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sully with the hat trick last night and just scored tonight to tie the game at 1 in the 2nd period at San Jose.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of gag you just didn't see happen to the Coyotes last season.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This team looks like they don't have it this year. I went to bed with them leading 3-1 to wake up and find out they lost 5-3? WTF?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Coyotes lost a game after having a 3rd period lead four times in the regular season. None were two goal leads, and only once was it a loss in regulation. But no I wasn't watching :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Yotes must have lost the lead/game at least 6 times in the final minute alone last season. I believe twice in a row to Dallas. It was a huge issue. Even happened in the Chicago series. Can't believe you don't recall that.

Another poor defensive performance tonight. Turnovers are killing this group right now.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... I said exactly how many times it happened last season.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You are counting losses. I am counting lost points.

No matter - it was/is an issue.

Edit: By lost points (standings-wise) I include points given to other teams within the division/conference due to losses and overtime wins/losses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not the start we wanted. If they don't get it going soon, we will be talking more about the 2013 draft than the games.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
they definitely left a ton of points on the table last year - especially against dallas, a trend that is continuing this year

so far they seem to be really sloppy in the neutral zone and guys are getting a little too deep in the offensive zone

they've also played a couple of hot teams ... chicago has started out on fire, going into SJ who is also on fire on the 2nd end of a home/away slate is tough - that game had 3 pretty distinct portions to it ... SJ started out on hot but couldn't cash in, phoenix controlled the middle and built a lead and then the sharks flat out dominated the last 10 minutes

tonight is a huge game - nashville has had a few hard luck losses so far, they can still grind, play some defense and goaltend ......... the yotes will need to be smart with the puck and disciplined - if they do that they can pick up a win and start to turn this a little

really, their next week should be a pretty good opportunity to get this season pointed the right direction .... host nashville, edmonton, away/home with dallas then host MN - if they can pull 7 points out of that stretch it would go a long way - those are teams that are going to be in the same area of fighting for a spot as phoenix

just an odd start to the season and a lot of teams are a mess and it's reflected in a very jumbled table ... you only have 4 teams in the conference with a positive goal differential and the coyotes are a very uncharacteristic bottom of the entire NHL with 20 goals allowed - that has to and should improve

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chad Johnson (who? exactly) gets the start tonight. Obviously this team needs a healthy Smith in order to go anywhere.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ocho Cinco starting in goal tonight and he is looking good so far. Tippett has not been happy with the play in goal so if Johnson can play well tonight, we might be seeing more of him until Smith is healthy.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Congrats to Chad Johnson in getting his first NHL shutout as the Coyotes win 4-0. Nice to see the defense play well. Maybe this win will get them going.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow, the penalty for too many men on the ice could have been a killer at a crucial time, but the penalty on the Oilers made up for it and the Yotes the the PP goal to tie it w/ 19sec left.

Good to see Doaner getting physical too - the LA fight and hit tonight which was payback for the Schlemko hit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen