The Batman (2022)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now my second favorite Batman movie next to The Dark Knight (which is still my favorite). The return to the roots of the character is my main reason. I thought the Riddler attire was the part I struggled with a bit but it made sense in how this played out. The best part of the character was the last scene. Salina Kyle for me was the 2nd best for me. MP still my favorite. Penguin knowing it was CF was an amazing transformation. Pattinson? Not sure where he ranks. I think he was good but not better than Bale (except for the stupid voice). Actually my biggest issue with the movie was the portrayal of Bruce. The reason why Bruce is hard to associate with Batman is because he is the billionaire playboy acting like he doesn't care about anything else. To me this portrayal makes it easier to associate him with The Bat not harder.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Now my second favorite Batman movie next to The Dark Knight (which is still my favorite). The return to the roots of the character is my main reason. I thought the Riddler attire was the part I struggled with a bit but it made sense in how this played out. The best part of the character was the last scene. Salina Kyle for me was the 2nd best for me. MP still my favorite. Penguin knowing it was CF was an amazing transformation. Pattinson? Not sure where he ranks. I think he was good but not better than Bale (except for the stupid voice). Actually my biggest issue with the movie was the portrayal of Bruce. The reason why Bruce is hard to associate with Batman is because he is the billionaire playboy acting like he doesn't care about anything else. To me this portrayal makes it easier to associate him with The Bat not harder.

I’m with you. My second fave Batman now. Strong mystery all around and Pattinson is fantastic as Batman. And he was in the suit for most of the movie, which was nice.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda crazy how little talk there’s been for this Batman on the board. Only 4 or 5 of us have said anything for like a month since it was released.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Kinda crazy how little talk there’s been for this Batman on the board. Only 4 or 5 of us have said anything for like a month since it was released.
No desire to see it. That long of a movie, with my pain issues, is a torture session. And, from what I've heard, it's way too long anyway. were it 2 hours, I'd go see it, based on your reviews here.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A friend of mine said it was the movie "Seven" if it had been written for Batman.

I'm intrigued but will probably wait for it to get into my Apple TV

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

meh. going to Hannibal Lecter route? Glad that wasn't in the movie. also, there's just no point to obfuscating his look, unless they aren't sure they like it. and if that's the case, then don't use the character yet. That wasn't bad like another recent take of the character, but that wasn't god either.

which they didn't really do except to set up the next movie at the end.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
meh. going to Hannibal Lecter route? Glad that wasn't in the movie. also, there's just no point to obfuscating his look, unless they aren't sure they like it. and if that's the case, then don't use the character yet. That wasn't bad like another recent take of the character, but that wasn't god either.

which they didn't really do except to set up the next movie at the end.
I am with you. So glad it wasn't in there. Making his look so over the top isn't what Joker has EVER been about. It actually distracts from who the character is. It may not be as bad as the last guy but it's pretty close IMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Watched this last night.
I was surprised.

It was good. Actually very interesting.
I really enjoyed the nods back to True Detective comics and the old batman TV series.
It was kinda "Steampunk Noir" in its presentation.

The only real issue I had was with Emo Bruce.

P.S.
Catwoman was hot as FU...dge

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just watched this. 6th best Batman at best for me. The three Bale ones are much better and I’ll throw in the two Keaton ones.

Way to long. Batman doesn’t need to be three hours long.

I really liked the Riddler and this take on him but that’s about it. For me the best part of this movie was when him and Batman were face to face in Arkham.

Cat woman was horrible the fight scenes were laughable. Super unrealistic. When her and Batman are fighting her kicks and punches had nothing on them. Really pity pat.

She also committed one of my biggest pet peeves over and over. Making stupid Bond villain speeches over and over before doing something/failing to do something.

Emo Bruce Wayne? Bruce Wayne with bangs? Yeah no thanks. It’s exactly what I thought would happen with Pattinson.

Why’s Batman knocking on the front door at the club? Hey I’m Batman here for the bad guys can you let me in.

The ending was super cliche. Oooooooh so close.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I just watched this. 6th best Batman at best for me. The three Bale ones are much better and I’ll throw in the two Keaton ones.

Way to long. Batman doesn’t need to be three hours long.

I really liked the Riddler and this take on him but that’s about it. For me the best part of this movie was when him and Batman were face to face in Arkham.

Cat woman was horrible the fight scenes were laughable. Super unrealistic. When her and Batman are fighting her kicks and punches had nothing on them. Really pity pat.

She also committed one of my biggest pet peeves over and over. Making stupid Bond villain speeches over and over before doing something/failing to do something.

Emo Bruce Wayne? Bruce Wayne with bangs? Yeah no thanks. It’s exactly what I thought would happen with Pattinson.

Why’s Batman knocking on the front door at the club? Hey I’m Batman here for the bad guys can you let me in.

The ending was super cliche. Oooooooh so close.
The Keaton Batman's are terrible now. Awful and campy.

I'd say this is the second best for me as well. Pretty crazy that no other director went heavy into the detective angle. Pattinson was very good.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Pattison made a very convincing Batman but easily the worst Bruce Wayne ever. The movie kept my interest for the most part but I kept looking at the clock the last hour. I usually judge a movie by how it re-watches but I can't imagine re-watching this one.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Keaton Batman's are terrible now. Awful and campy.

I'd say this is the second best for me as well. Pretty crazy that no other director went heavy into the detective angle. Pattinson was very good.

I think you always have to look at a movie in it’s time. Same with sports. Batman in 89 was historic the money it made the merch all that it was an event

Same with sports. A certain player in his time might be an all time great but the current guys should always be better it’s the evolution of the athlete same with movies I think.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you always have to look at a movie in it’s time. Same with sports. Batman in 89 was historic the money it made the merch all that it was an even
Yes, but we now have quite a few Batman and other comic book movies to judge it on. With all the evidence laid out, the best of Batman isn't campy...it's dark and gritty.

The era of Batman fighting a Joker who squits him with the fake flower was the worst era of Batman, and Tim Burton's Batman harkens back more to that era.

Nolan's Batman for the most part captures the best of Batman. And I agree with @AzStevenCal that Pattinson isn't a good Bruce Wayne, but you could argue this movie was very little about Wayne so it wasn't fleshed out too well.
Same with sports. A certain player in his time might be an all time great but the current guys should always be better it’s the evolution of the athlete same with movies I think.
I can agree to a point, but nostalgia shouldn't give brownie points. I've tried to watch to pre-Nolan Batman movies and all of them are pretty bad now...and that includes the Keaton movies.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, but we now have quite a few Batman and other comic book movies to judge it on. With all the evidence laid out, the best of Batman isn't campy...it's dark and gritty.

The era of Batman fighting a Joker who squits him with the fake flower was the worst era of Batman, and Tim Burton's Batman harkens back more to that era.

Nolan's Batman for the most part captures the best of Batman. And I agree with @AzStevenCal that Pattinson isn't a good Bruce Wayne, but you could argue this movie was very little about Wayne so it wasn't fleshed out too well.

I can agree to a point, but nostalgia shouldn't give brownie points. I've tried to watch to pre-Nolan Batman movies and all of them are pretty bad now...and that includes the Keaton movies.

But that Keaton Batman was considered very dark and huge pivot from the Adam West Batman at the time. There would probably be none of these super hero movies and damn sure wouldn’t be 20 Batman movies had that one not worked

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
But that Keaton Batman was considered very dark and huge pivot from the Adam West Batman at the time. There would probably be none of these super hero movies and damn sure wouldn’t be 20 Batman movies had that one not worked
Good points. And those Batman movies did increase the mainstream desires for comic book movies.

I've found that few of the nostalgic movies overall are any good. Watched Goonies a few years back and that movie pretty much sucks now.

Stout

Reaction score
Good points. And those Batman movies did increase the mainstream desires for comic book movies.

I've found that few of the nostalgic movies overall are any good. Watched Goonies a few years back and that movie pretty much sucks now.
Yeah...no. Just...no. Sucks for you, but no, not for many of us. And yes, I've watched it as an adult.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Huh still stood up for my boys. And that’s my measuring stick for goonies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Pattison made a very convincing Batman but easily the worst Bruce Wayne ever. The movie kept my interest for the most part but I kept looking at the clock the last hour. I usually judge a movie by how it re-watches but I can't imagine re-watching this one.
As someone who saw this twice in the theaters to see if I was too hard on it the first time, I can say this movie has almost zero rewatchability, save every scene with Penguin. And the run time REALLY drags on rewatch.

Conceptually I understand what this movie was doing, but the execution is just so damn drab.

Really, the only thing that made me raise a brow in the entire last hour was at the end when it seemed like Batman is juicing in some way shape or form which makes him go batsh*t at the end and almost kill that guy. That made me curious.

Stout

Reaction score
This movie is awful. It's supposed to be a detective movie? He's a godawful detective! I liked the cinematography, and the Penguin, and Zoe Kravitz in tight clothes, and...struggling to find more bonuses. It's free on HBO Max and my buddy is a HUGE Batman fan. We got to when CHARACTER was in the hospital, paused to check how much time was left, and were flabbergasted that there was OVER AN HOUR to go. He started out making excuses for things, like, "Yeah, that's a bad trope, but it's a comic book movie," until I asked him how many bad tropes did we need. Then things got worse. Ugh.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This movie is awful. It's supposed to be a detective movie? He's a godawful detective! I liked the cinematography, and the Penguin, and Zoe Kravitz in tight clothes, and...struggling to find more bonuses. It's free on HBO Max and my buddy is a HUGE Batman fan. We got to when CHARACTER was in the hospital, paused to check how much time was left, and were flabbergasted that there was OVER AN HOUR to go. He started out making excuses for things, like, "Yeah, that's a bad trope, but it's a comic book movie," until I asked him how many bad tropes did we need. Then things got worse. Ugh.
Wrong. :)

I don't see why this has to be MTV-edited action fest. It's the state of the audience I guess.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose