The Ayton Plan

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can a different coach get more out of Ayton? I am beyond sick of giving this kid chance after chance and the results being the same... but could this be the thought process of Jones?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can a different coach get more out of Ayton? I am beyond sick of giving this kid chance after chance and the results being the same... but could this be the thought process of Jones?
I have no idea but since we've seen much better play out of DA at times in the past, I think it's at least a possibility. If we could get a refund on our pick, I'm sure we'd jump at it but instead we're forced to try and make the best out of a less than ideal situation. Trade him and take a big hit or keep him and hope he makes his way to Oz so he can get the brain, heart and courage he needs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If that is fun, I don't want it.

It wasn't a lot of fun for Suns fans to see the season end this way.
Wasn't he talking about his talk with James Jones? Seems like the talk he had with Jones after the series was over reassured him that he would have a bigger role next year. This probably also means that JJ knew Monty was gone when he had this talk with Ayton. Maybe they are planning on bringing in a coach that will better utilize Ayton's skills. :shrug:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have no idea but since we've seen much better play out of DA at times in the past, I think it's at least a possibility. If we could get a refund on our pick, I'm sure we'd jump at it but instead we're forced to try and make the best out of a less than ideal situation. Trade him and take a big hit or keep him and hope he makes his way to Oz so he can get the brain, heart and courage he needs.
I am quickly becoming a believer that Monty's system can really stifle some guys games. Ayton has progressively gotten worse playing under Monty and some of that may have been him growing more frustrated with his role over time. Mikal looked like a different player the moment he went to a new team. Booker is clearly capable of 30+ PPG IMO and has yet to come close to averaging that and KD struggled to find any sort of easy offense in the playoffs. I think with all the right personnel the system is effective, but it doesn't necessarily bring out the best from the individual players.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
I am quickly becoming a believer that Monty's system can really stifle some guys games. Ayton has progressively gotten worse playing under Monty and some of that may have been him growing more frustrated with his role over time. Mikal looked like a different player the moment he went to a new team. Booker is clearly capable of 30+ PPG IMO and has yet to come close to averaging that and KD struggled to find any sort of easy offense in the playoffs. I think with all the right personnel the system is effective, but it doesn't necessarily bring out the best from the individual players.
Very well said! I am sure a better coach can get more out of Ayton. But he’s gotta want it and work on weak aspects of his game. I’m not sure he is willing. He got his bag of money.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Indeed, totally agree. The fact that Bridges (AND Cam) immediately played so much better after going to Brooklyn was not a ringing endorsement of Monty or how he utilized each of them here.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed, totally agree. The fact that Bridges (AND Cam) immediately played so much better after going to Brooklyn was not a ringing endorsement of Monty or how he utilized each of them here.
I'm undecided on this one. That team divested itself of its top talent and did a major re-work of it's roster at the deadline so they really weren't expecting much. When there's no pressure really to win and the coach decides to live and die with Mikal and CamJ to see what they have, it's reasonable for them to see their points go up.

We definitely saw Mikal's game expand which bodes well for his future but I think we need to see Bridges have similar success when they have higher expectations. Keep in mind they went 13-19 (including their 4 L's in first round) with Mikal despite his huge scoring jump and CamJ playing pretty well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't he talking about his talk with James Jones? Seems like the talk he had with Jones after the series was over reassured him that he would have a bigger role next year. This probably also means that JJ knew Monty was gone when he had this talk with Ayton. Maybe they are planning on bringing in a coach that will better utilize Ayton's skills. :shrug:

I think we will have to wait and find out. An exit interview may not predict the future.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we will have to wait and find out. An exit interview may not predict the future.
Yeah but Ayton's big smile and positive comments following that interview said a lot (to me). I believe it means they gave him positive feedback and promised he'd have more opportunities to be a focal point. Of course, it could just be a smoke screen to try and raise his trade value but I doubt it. I think they know a trade may eventually happen but they are going to try and make it work, for now anyway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but Ayton's big smile and positive comments following that interview said a lot (to me). I believe it means they gave him positive feedback and promised he'd have more opportunities to be a focal point. Of course, it could just be a smoke screen to try and raise his trade value but I doubt it. I think they know a trade may eventually happen but they are going to try and make it work, for now anyway.

I'm sure the Suns did give positive feedback to Ayton.

Unless a trade happens, they have to sink or swim with what he brings to the table. Perhaps a new head coach views his role differently.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm undecided on this one. That team divested itself of its top talent and did a major re-work of it's roster at the deadline so they really weren't expecting much. When there's no pressure really to win and the coach decides to live and die with Mikal and CamJ to see what they have, it's reasonable for them to see their points go up.

We definitely saw Mikal's game expand which bodes well for his future but I think we need to see Bridges have similar success when they have higher expectations. Keep in mind they went 13-19 (including their 4 L's in first round) with Mikal despite his huge scoring jump and CamJ playing pretty well.
I get that, but the other meaningful aspect to me was that both also seemed to play with a lot more confidence once they got there, which also seems to speak to some element of the coaching here.

Reaction score
Ayton better have a monster game after getting roasted by the media. The national spotlight will be on him tonight’s let’s see how he responds:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Sharpe is right. But there is also a very, very serious defensive problem. Whether it is missing Bridges/Crowder, or something else, but teams were consistently getting over 100 on us in the playoffs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose