The Ayton Plan

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
DA gets used to that just going through the set motions without much situational adjustment can often be good enough. Thus, not used to working hard all the times. He needs pokings, insults from opponents and whatever to wake him up out of this lethargy. Generally, he seems to be a likeable person, so hope the team can somehow get to keep him motivated.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m Hayton that Ayton isn’t Dominayton.

Do you guys ever notice that Ayton doesn’t know if he should inbound the ball or not?

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol reminds me of Fast Times at Ridgemont High when they trash dudes car and blame it on the other school and he just kills em

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
from AZSports: Ayton owns the third-worst net rating and the second-worst plus-minus on the Suns roster.

Thats what max extension is doing for his $. I wonder what the Suns record is with and w/o him in the lineup. Seems to me they do better w/o softy

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from AZSports: Ayton owns the third-worst net rating and the second-worst plus-minus on the Suns roster.

Thats what max extension is doing for his $. I wonder what the Suns record is with and w/o him in the lineup. Seems to me they do better w/o softy

Suns would need a better starting center than Biyombo, Landale or Saric if they traded Ayton.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what do people want to do with Ayton should this window close with Paul? Keep him as part of a reload or use him to try and shake things up? Just curious. Maybe a good poll question.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The latest timeline podcast explains my thoughts well.

His defense is the worst it has been since his rookie year. And Monty has pretty much abandoned the switch and put him in drop most of the time because of it. Next, since he can't protect the rim well, he's getting annihilated on drives as he's allowing something like a 65% shooting percentage at the rim. If he can't protect the rim (you know, block at least 1 shot per game?) and dominate on the defensive glass, he's useless in a drop system IMO. He's posting the lowest rebounding season of his career so far (it's all tightly bunched in the 10's for the most part) and the 2nd lowest O Rebounding of his career.

Ugly, Ugly stuff.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what do people want to do with Ayton should this window close with Paul? Keep him as part of a reload or use him to try and shake things up? Just curious. Maybe a good poll question.
With everything I said above, you have to keep him till the offseason IMO unless something truly magical happens. He may spring back to life in the playoffs like 2020 but..... Who knows.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You keep him unless a deal you can’t pass up pops up.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After the Raptors game, Ayton said:

A max guy shouldn't have to be poked to be motivated.
Ayton is not a max contract. That's why we used the pacers to dictate his contract. He could be getting more.
The latest timeline podcast explains my thoughts well.

His defense is the worst it has been since his rookie year. And Monty has pretty much abandoned the switch and put him in drop most of the time because of it. Next, since he can't protect the rim well, he's getting annihilated on drives as he's allowing something like a 65% shooting percentage at the rim. If he can't protect the rim (you know, block at least 1 shot per game?) and dominate on the defensive glass, he's useless in a drop system IMO. He's posting the lowest rebounding season of his career so far (it's all tightly bunched in the 10's for the most part) and the 2nd lowest O Rebounding of his career.

Ugly, Ugly stuff.
Find someone better?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the Pacers gave Ayton an offer sheet for the max which the Suns matched.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is not a max contract. That's why we used the pacers to dictate his contract. He could be getting more.

Not really. He got the max he could get on the open market. The difference is 2.5% less raises each season and 1 less season on the deal. He's being paid max money still as in 25% of the salary cap.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max that they could give I think? not sure Other teams can't sign your players for more than you can right?

It was for the max. Theoretically the Suns could have paid Ayton more before he signed the offer sheet but why would they?

That's why it went into free agency.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose